About what size cage does an adult......... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
Jake The Snake
About what size cage does an adult.........

About what size cage does an adult burmese python male need? I am looking at an albino male because they don't get as big as a normal female. I have never kept a snake that got over 5' so this is a first. I need to know just a basic size for an adult.

Old 05-28-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
hhmoore
I'll grant you that male burms don't get as big as females. And that their growth slows down sooner. And that if you breed them, it will probably slow it even more...but you still have to figure on adult sizes of 12'(+). That said, I've kept adult males in cages with approx 12 sq ft of floor space (4x3, 5x2.5, 6x2) my preference was the 5-6 ft long cages. just a hint, if you go with a cage over 2 feet deep (wide)...make sure it is tall enough that you can easily reach in to clean, lol. knew a guy once that built his cages about 15 inches tall. he was pretty much crawling in on his belly to clean the back half (made him look like snake food, to me).

Old 05-29-2005, 01:17 AM   #3
hhmoore
Actually, now that I've thought about it a bit...my 10' males were in 5x2.5' cages & it was a pretty good fit. I've heard of people (ok, known a few) that keep 12'+ snakes in smaller cages (4x2), but I think they need more space.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:52 AM   #4
Cat_72
I believe that the general "rule" is that they should have at LEAST enough room to stretch out at least half of their length ( 6 ft long for a 12 ft snake) to avoid respiratory type probelms, and for overall health....but if you can go bigger, it's always better. I've only kept one Burmese, and he was about 12' long, his usual enclosure was 7"Lx4"Wx2.5"H, which should be sufficient, but I always thought he looked kind of big in there.....but then mine tend to be spoiled, lol. He did get a lot of out of cage roaming time as well.

Just keep in mind how amazingly strong an adult Burm is, they will need something very sturdy regardless of the size, and if they decide to give a good push on a door attached with wimpy little hinges or latches, they WILL be sleeping under your bed. LOL.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:55 AM   #5
Jake The Snake
My dad says I can get one when I move out of the city. He said space is no problem so I can build a big one. Thanks for the help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!