Inquiry on "Tom Crutchfield" - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #31
KelliH
Quote:
That may be what USF&W told Dallas/Ft. Worth Zoo when Steve was there, but I can only think of ONE case where the USF&W told an AZA Zoo to do that, and that was regarding the San Francisco Garter snake. I would like to see evidence where USF&W ordered zoo's to destroy eggs/babies other than the garter snakes. SSP's and PMP's have suggested to zoo's to destroys eggs', such as Komodo's to ensure pure bloodlines of reptiles, but I have never seen an order from USF&W in my 18 years at a zoo. (Other than the San Fran garter snake) to destroy reptile eggs. Please let me know of other cases/scenario's where this occured regarding reptile offspring, I would like to know.
According to what we have heard, San Diego Zoo is the only zoo allowed to breed Fiji Island Iguanas. All the other zoos have been ordered to destroy any eggs by San Diegi Zoo per USF&W. Zoos routinely destroy endangered species eggs when there is no more capacity to hold them, one example of this would be Dwarf Crocs but I don't know that is ordered by USF&W. Same with Lousianna Pine Snakes. USF&W also has restrictions on Sanzinia regarding animals that were confiscated (I'm sure you are aware of that). A little different than destroying babies or eggs, but it does restrict the amount of babies that can be produced.

It's really stupid because if zoos were allowed to sell some of these animals it would not only ease the strain of endangered populations but would also be a great source of funding for herpetariums. You know I don't think zoos are perfect(far far from it) but in some cases the restrictions are ridiculous and not the fault of the people running the zoos.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #32
sunking
Wow....

That blows my mind. I can not believe that they would destroy the eggs from the Fiji's. You could easily tell if they where not of pure bloodstock. I would also assume that the zoo's would do an extreme background check on these or any endangered animals when they acquire them. This includes the animals them selves as well as the person they got them from and the person that might have breed/collected them. Could you imagine the public outcry if zoo's where forced to put down newborn Barbury lions, snow leopards, or Amir leopards. And yes, this would be a great way to raise funds to help other endangered herpes. How much $ could have been raised to help out the Blue Iguana's????? Govt rules and bureaucracy blows my mind, it is like pissing into the wind. It just goes to show how F'ed up the USFW agency is. A perfect example is the proposed ban that says that says burms, retics, scrubs, anaconda's and the such could invade 1/3 of our country. Everyone involved with these species and has just half a brain knows this is BS. This makes me mad as hellllll. Talk about "stupid is as stupid does".

Joe

Old 06-11-2008, 04:12 AM   #33
WebSlave
Just out of curiosity, by what legal and ethical justification are zoos ordered to destroy offspring of endangered species? How can an animal be classified as "endangered" by one government agency yet have examples ordered destroyed by another agency? Don't they know what the term "endangered" means?

I really can't think of any sane reason at all why those eggs or babies shouldn't be treated to all efforts necessary to insure their survival. Even if one is just given to an enthusiast with adequate credentials to work with it, isn't that one more that is alive in the world of some animal, by stated government documentation, that is on the brink of extinction?

Seriously, government policy doesn't get much more insane than that, in my opinion.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #34
KelliH
Quote:
Seriously, government policy doesn't get much more insane than that, in my opinion.
I agree with you. I think it has something to do with USF&W not wanting any of the endangereds to get out into the private sector. Steve (my husband) knows a USF&W agent pretty well and we asked him a while back if we could bring the Fiji Igunas and also the San Francisco garters in from Europe, legally captive bred ones, and the guy said Fish and Wildlife would not allow that. I would freaking kill to have some Fiji Iguanas, they are just about #1 on my list of herps I want to work with, but I would never risk having animals illegally and not having proper paperwork and all. Maybe someday these silly restrictions will be lifted but my pessimistic side says I doubt it.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #35
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I agree with you. I think it has something to do with USF&W not wanting any of the endangereds to get out into the private sector. Steve (my husband) knows a USF&W agent pretty well and we asked him a while back if we could bring the Fiji Igunas and also the San Francisco garters in from Europe, legally captive bred ones, and the guy said Fish and Wildlife would not allow that. I would freaking kill to have some Fiji Iguanas, they are just about #1 on my list of herps I want to work with, but I would never risk having animals illegally and not having proper paperwork and all. Maybe someday these silly restrictions will be lifted but my pessimistic side says I doubt it.
So their policy is such that they would prefer the animals go extinct rather than have them in the private sector? Again, COMPLETELY insane. And I would think that a good defending attorney representing someone indicted on trafficking in endangered animals could use that policy to beat the crap out of the prosecution. What is the PURPOSE of that law? And who is better supporting that purpose in a case like that?

Old 06-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #36
phicks48
I Agree ive Knowed Tom for 20 Years Paul hicks

Old 06-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #37
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceheads
JimO, what partners are you referring to?

Randal Berry
Randal,

Did you read the page in the link that I listed? Two of his partners had already been sentenced before he was. Those would be the two.

One can disagree with a law but that doesn't give them the right to flout it and break it for profit. That's my biggest problem with greedy people like Tommy Edward Crutchfield and other smugglers of his ilk. In the end they make it harder for honest people to obtain animals legally. And if they are going to break the law based on some "moral principle" then they should have the stones to take the heat for that "moral principle" in which they believe so deeply. Instead, when the law came knocking at the door Tommy ran away with the intention of letting others take the fall. That is the act of a coward, not of someone highly principled.

He may have a string of good transactions (along with a few bad ones well documented here on the BOI) but at the end of the day he is not someone with whom I would choose to do business. He has forfeited that privilege. I hold my business associates to a higher standard than he can possibly achieve.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #38
lanceheads
JimO,
no sir, I did not read the link. I'll go back and read it.

I was his manager at that time, I had to appear before the prosecutor and answer many questions two weeks before his trial.

Tom admitted his guilt. I believe the quote was, "I'm guilty, because I'm guilty". I can assure you, Tom did not run with the intention for others to take the fall. Not even close. I assure you, Tom is no coward, he paid his debt, and it's time to move on. People do make mistakes and learn from them. I would not ever hesitate doing business with him. Many animals available today would not be here for us to enjoy if it wasn't for Tom, no question about it.

Randal

Old 06-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #39
John Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceheads
JimO,
no sir, I did not read the link. I'll go back and read it.

I was his manager at that time, I had to appear before the prosecutor and answer many questions two weeks before his trial.

Tom admitted his guilt. I believe the quote was, "I'm guilty, because I'm guilty". I can assure you, Tom did not run with the intention for others to take the fall. Not even close. I assure you, Tom is no coward, he paid his debt, and it's time to move on. People do make mistakes and learn from them. I would not ever hesitate doing business with him. Many animals available today would not be here for us to enjoy if it wasn't for Tom, no question about it.

Randal
Totally different charactor assessment than the ol Tommy O know...when he was called out on some less than perfect pastel boas that are now all long dead except for one...lessee here,,. he called my home making some threats doing some name calling and all sort of stupid punk crap, do a search on him here...yeah some animals might be responsible getting here because of him...but hey man..legally ....I am sure we will meet someday face to face and discuss this like the gentlemen we are

Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #40
John Apple
whoops meant ol Tommy I know

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!