I did it~ I bought a cow! Pics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I did it~ I bought a cow! Pics

well.....I bought 4 calves actually! And boy I thought I was busy before I took on 4 bottle babies! But aint they cute! All winter I told everyone I sold a snake to that I was gonna buy a cow when I had enough money~ so here are the cows I bought!

The two wearing halters are "Dairy cross" heifers......I think the man said "Jersey cross" but I'm not sure I'm recalling that correctly and I know he never told me what the cross was with. The two without halters are a "dairy cross" and a holstien bull calves that we banded two weeks ago today. The boys will be BEEF some day (named the brown one Burger King and the Holstein Sofa King.......cuz isn't that pelt gonna look great on the back of my sofa next year!!)

Thats an adult royal palm turkey hen standing there with them

This next pic is from last week~ you can see her ribs more in this pic......and a size reference.....those two dogs in the pic are an Anatolian shepherd and a great pyr~ both dogs are are around 100lbs each.

so~ what do you think? I KNOW I overpaid for them.......but I'm actually pretty pleased with myself that not only are they all still alive but they are doing some running and playing in the pen now too!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
oh my god i want to STEAL them! I LOVE cows!!!! CONGRATS! * though ill be sad when you turn one into beef, so cute.... * LOL

Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
wyldwurm
aw they're SO cute! Though I would have named sofa king "potato"...then you'd have a couch potato.....and meat & potato...lol

Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
DAND
Mmmmm, Veal.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Miss Tuniwha
for one.. that's a big a** bird.. lol.. when it is the same size as a young cow.. I just.. wow..

for two.. congrats, they are cute, and good save!

and random question..
your pyr a pup?

Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Tater (the pyr) is just over a year old~ so a teenager really. He looks smaller because we shaved him down this spring. He is a working dog~ a LGD (Livestock Guardian Dog) who lives with the goats 24/7. The goats live in the woods......so his coat was pretty knarly and nasty after the winter. We shaved him down so he could grow a fresh coat for the summer and hopefully cut down the number of hot spots he'll get this summer. Cricket (the Anatolian) is also and LGD and works with Tater~ she is a bit less than a year old......and she is already a bit bigger than Tater! And her coat is better suited to the job they do for me. We really love Tater and he does a great job~ but I'm not sure we'll be getting more Pyrs for the work in the woods~ the Anatolian is more work to train but her coat is better suited to keep her comfortable.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
COWS! I always wanted a Jersey cow!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
Tiger Lilly
And I was just checking out your site today and saw those pics. I fell in love with ALL your critters...makes me miss West Virginia more & more--except for the snow!
I have been thinking about getting one of the miniature cows (brahma), but alas, I have to wait for the $500+ price to come down. And figure out a way to get my big goofy dog not to hurt it.
GREAT PICS!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
laterob
Are you taking pre-orders for beef? I'd like to reserve the steak with the great marbling and thin saddles.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
It's been a year~ they are growing great!
Here is Bessie (black heifer) and Sofa (holstein steer~ planning to beef him next summer)

Here are Boss (black heifer in front) and Burger (Black steer further back~ we plan to beef him this fall) and a little steer I got last October named Meatloaf~ he's not growing well ~ appears to be a dwarf....there may only be one meatloaf on him!

And because I just have NO self control and they were SO CUTE....
The new girls~
Freckles and Apples (names are not set in stone yet)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!