My first Veiled clutch is hatching , need advise. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
Vitticeps86
My first Veiled clutch is hatching , need advise.

---Hi this is my first time breeding veiled chameleons, I have a few years experience breeding bearded dragons and leopard geckos. But I need all the advise I can get from you experienced chameleon breeders. My first clutch just started hatching today. When I got home from work about 4-5 hours ago I was pleasantly surprised to see 2 newly hatched babies in my incubator and then I noticed a 3rd but also noticed something wrong and when I checked it out I realized it was dead. The other two are fine , one of them is full of energy moving rapidly all over the egg container but the other one was struggling to climb out of the egg shell. I know you probably shouldn't help them but after seeing that one had died I didn't want to risk it wasting energy, so I helped it out of the egg shell he still has a large yolk sack attached to him and the other did not. He walks around alright when he finds the energy but it seems as if he has trouble breathing through his nose. Because when I do see that he is breathing he seems to be breathing heavily through his mouth. I sprayed a few droplets of water on both of their heads to make sure they were not dehydrated , not knowing if that is what the one died of. I don't know if I am worrying to much but I just don't want to lose any more. So far know more have hatched. I could really use some advise.
Thanks, Tim

Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
skywalker67
How do u know it was dead? Was it's head poked out of the egg? Sometimes it takes alot out of them so they sit for hours " dead" looking. I would leave them alone even if thry aren't moving as long as you can see the nose out of the egg

Old 07-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
LauraB
1) What are the temps of your incubator?

2) How long have the eggs been incubating?

3) What have you moved the two hatchings into?

4) As asked, how did you know one was for-sure dead? Sometimes it can take hours and hours for them to fully emerge and yolk sacks should be mostly absorbed if they are full-term.

I would leave them alone and let nature do what it will.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!