Eye problems with my Fischer's... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
Gina Gauvin
Thumbs up

Another idea is to provide a small bowl of mixed veggies. I've put it down thinking the crickets could eat it instead of bothering the chams, and found the chams ate the whole bowl.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

I wonder how much fresh air she get's around the enclosure. Sometimes bacteria forms in sitting puddles, or if the tank isn't sterilized often enough he can get an eye irritation just by rubbing an itchy eye on a branch. It's a lot of work keeping up with rainforest species.

Now that they've narrowed it down to a bacteria infection, he'll get an antibiotic, or 2. This can cause dehydration, as well as losing positive gutfloras. Antibiotics kill both positive and negative bacteria which lowers tolerances, making it easier for other problems to arise.

I'm not sure of your temps, but keep them in the upper spectrum while healing, and take time to be sure he's drinking well. I haven't bought pro-biotics in awhile, so not sure what brands are available. I've had good results with Nutri-bac paste. It helps replenish positive gutflora that can be lost with treating infections.

Keep up the good work!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
amber_loves_chams87
Good News Everyone! (in professor farnsworth's voice)

My lil cham (who I now know is a SHE) is doing much, much better since my trip to the Avian & Exotics Clinic in Monterey. Sorry I haven't updated on here, I've been on chameleonforums.com, but Brandi's been a super duper awesome friend and relaying stuff to y'all. My lil fisher's did indeed have an eye infection; they took a swab of the eye and it was packed with common bacteria. They flushed out the eye really well and then they also drew blood. They gave me medicated eye drops to give to her 3x a day. And when the doc called me the next morning with the blood results, she said everything looked normal. I'm suppose to bring her in for a follow up, but I'm back in Sacramento and Monterey is just too far for me to drive down for the day and back up. I'm lookin to take her to a vet clinic up here...just dunno which one?
BUT by the second day she was already opening her bad eye up! And now she has it open practically all the time! I'm so happy! As for the D3, yea I'll only give it every 2-3 months or so cuz I let her go out in the sun on my balcony any day its nice out and thats been plenty lately. I'm also on my way to by some more silkworms for her since most have told me silks are one the best to feed chams caloriesroteins. And I've been trying to mist her even more than I was before.

One question for you all, is any good tips on how to raise the humidity since I have an all screen cage (since the beginning I was told bad bad things about terrariums, even though in reality, they are great for chams that require higher levels of humidity)

If you feel like it, you can follow my thread on chameleons forums here: http://www.chameleonforums.com/eye-p...ischers-38644/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!