veiled cham tank ? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
sakura
i dont know. but like i said ive had her in this cage for years and never had problems. she is not that big and the soil height is not permant. ive been told that she is a perfectly health chameleon by a heprotologist.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
EvilLost
I will repeat that just b/c you have kept her in one way and she hasn't died doesn't mean you are providing IDEAL care.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
sakura
well she seems happy to me. so whatever. but all my reptiles have realistic setups and real plants none of the fake stuff

Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
EvilLost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura View Post
well she seems happy to me. so whatever. but all my reptiles have realistic setups and real plants none of the fake stuff
I don't know your experience, but "seeming" happy is meaningless. These are prey animals and will work very hard to "seem" happy even when they are not. Being able to diagnose problems before they start showing obvious signs of it is not that easy.

They won't "seem" unhappy until things are really bad.

Real plants are great, but if the tank is too small for her (and from what you've said it sounds too small, especially with 12"+ of soil) then she is improper housing...regardless of how wonderful the plants are growing. An adult female needs an 18x18x36" tank with a 12" deep laying bin strong enough to support a tunnel into it.

Many creatures CAN be kept in many scenarios. You CAN keep dirt in your tank. The dirt won't attack her and kill her...it is merely a PROBABILITY of her ingesting it and causing impaction, etc. In my opinion, good keepers aim to keep their animals in conditions that MINIMIZE the probability of any such accident occurring.

A human being can be kept alive in a 5'x5' with a small light, a toilet, and food and water dropped in daily....does that mean that is a good condition to keep them in?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!