Reptile clubs going extinct - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Reptile clubs going extinct

Coconut Creek · Gary DiPalma lifted the box's lid to reveal a slithering mass of newborn boa constrictors.

Dermot Bowden peered inside, savoring the sight. "Whoa! Nice!" he said.

Bowden then whipped out pictures of his own baby boas. "Oooh!" DiPalma gushed, eyes popping.

This reptile show-and-tell took place at the Sawgrass Herpetological Society's monthly meeting. Members gathered at the Fern Forest Nature Center on Lyons Road to discuss the latest information about reptiles and amphibians. The meeting was BYOR -- bring your own reptile.

The society is barely surviving amid a new generation of reptile lovers who rely on the Internet for information about the care and breeding of snakes, tortoises, turtles, frogs, geckos and other creatures. Chat rooms, message boards and Web sites have replaced monthly meetings where members gather to swap stories about turtle mating and the newest snake breeds. At a recent meeting, eight people trickled in. "We used to pack this place," said DiPalma of Wilton Manors, the group's only original member. "Now we're barely existing."

The society, founded in 1990, has a dwindling roster of about 20 people, down from 115. To make up for shrinking membership fees, the group hosts garage sales twice a year, DiPalma said.

"People don't like to come out to the parks and do stuff anymore," said Joan Kohl, president and founder of the Coral Springs-based Sawgrass Nature Center & Wildlife Hospital. "They're satisfied sitting in front of their [computer] screens."

In its heyday, experts from all over Florida came to the center to address crowds 75 strong. "I remember you couldn't get into the parking lot for meetings," Kohl recalled.

When the Internet boom hit, herpetological societies across Florida suffered as people discovered the endless amounts of information available in cyberspace about reptiles and amphibians. The Sawgrass Herpetological Society is among five in the state, down from 18, DiPalma said, adding that groups in Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties have folded.

Boynton Beach resident Mark Hoffman, a member since 1993, said the Internet is no match for the society's two-hour meetings where reptile banter includes planning snake hunts and field trips. He said he'd rather meet with real people than screen names. "The Internet takes the human element out of it," he said.

DiPalma, nicknamed "Froggie," reached into a bag, uncoiled a Hog Island boa constrictor and hung it around his neck. Flicking its black tongue, the snake twined around his head and down his back.

Davie resident Vicki Karr stood by, admiring the serpent. "He has so much color toward the end of his tail," she said. Karr said she comes to the meeting to learn from experts about how to care for Sony, her pet tortoise. During seminars and discussions, she learned to feed him a protein-rich diet of hibiscus flowers. Kohl said Web sites don't always provide reliable information about the proper care of reptiles and amphibians.

"You never know who's giving out the information on the Internet, but there are certain methods for caring for these reptiles," she said, adding that people often release their exotic pets, which is harmful to native wildlife.

Bowden, 42, a software salesman from Palm Beach Gardens, said he makes the trek to Coconut Creek each month because he likes meeting with other people who share his passion.

"I've been interested in reptiles since I was a kid," said Bowden, who also breeds Cay Caulker boa constrictors.

Boca Raton resident John Roig, 12, one of the society's youngest members, flitted about the room, petting the variety of snakes. Standing nearby was his father, also named John, who admitted reptiles "weren't his thing."

Asked why he drags his dad to meetings, Roig said, "You get to hold them and pet them. You can't do that on a computer."

Link to story

Old 09-15-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
A_Kendergirl
I say good for that dad!!!

Old 09-15-2005, 04:02 AM   #3
NEWReptiles
The sad thing is there is alot of truth to that story. Becky and I used to be members of our local herp club and have been planning on attending the next meeting. Its kinda sad how most of us get caught up in the "net" herping and forget about all the local shows at schools and such. We recently did a hands on educational show at a children's museum and I will be the first to admit how much fun it was, it made us both miss it.....

Old 09-15-2005, 10:13 AM   #4
jglass38
I would love to do some educational stuff. It is sad to see that the clubs are fading.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
mmfrankford
That is sad. I always wanted to join a herp club. (I could be wrong, happens all the time ) But here in central Ohio there are no clubs. As far as I know the only club in Ohio is N.O.A.H. in the Cleveland area.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
coyote
I think that Herp clubs just need to be "marketed" differently than in the past. There are aspects to attending a club meeting that can not be replicated by computer.

I am dissappointed in the dearth of reptile community that exists where I live in SW Montana. So, I am going to make a stab at starting my own herp club.
There is one aspect of a local club that people don't tire of, being able to see and touch live animals. I'm counting on this to bring people to the first meeting.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
SPJ
Quote:
I would love to do some educational stuff
I used to do them all the time.

Now all reptiles are banned from school property and the local library which used to host shows on the weekends no longer allows it. Also, trying to get a permit to hold it in a public place isn't gonna happen. There is so much red tape now that you just can't get one anymore.

A select few have made it impossible to allow hands on demonstrations with reptiles lately.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
Junkyard
MF good luck with your club, you are right about the way to advertise by computer, it is a helpful tool. Whatever you do for advertising remember not to give up after a couple months "because it is not working yet". I was given that excuse and I think it is full of bologna.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:51 PM   #9
cthulhu77
Conversely, our local club is so horrible, that it was very refreshing to find reptile clubs on the net...

greg

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!