SCAMMER!!! John Mike from Canada / France / UK??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-19-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Golden Gate Geckos
SCAMMER!!! John Mike from Canada / France / UK???

Well, I guess I'm one of the privileged people to be involved with the old scam that was going around a while back. Can anyone help me with the information I need to report this to the proper authorities? Here's the paper trail:

----- Original Message -----

To: <info@goldengategeckos.com>
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 5:24 AM
Subject: Message about: REDUCED! Tremper Hybino x Super-Tang, Sunglow females!

Hello,
I saw your advert over the web and am much interested in buying it.Am a dealer in all kinds of animals, I live in the CANADA,I will be responsible for the shippment down to my location, so please kindly write me back with your last offering price.I will also need some of its recent pics, and will like to know its present condition .I am Looking forward to your soonest reply. JOHN.

----------------------------------------------
Click on (or cut and paste into you browser's location window) the URL below to view the ad that this message is in response to.

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?de=392452&cat=10
----------------------------------------------
This message was sent by an unregistered or non logged in user.
This person may or may not be who they say they are.
The return address they provide may or may not be their correct address.

Sent 07:24 AM, Mar 17th, 2006 from I.P. Address 66.178.40.26

To: <johnmikedealer@yahoo.fr>
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 8:05 AM
Subject: Re: Message about: REDUCED! Tremper Hybino x Super-Tang, Sunglow females!

Hello John,

Thank you for your interest in Golden Gate Geckos! I do not have an export permit and can only ship within the lower 48 United States. If it is the
Sunglow female you are interested in, her price is $400, and I will be happy to work with someone here in the States that could help with the export. I will be taking new photos as soon as the sun shines!

Warm regards,
Marcia McGuiness
Golden Gate Geckos
925-755-3113
http://www.goldengategeckos.com

To: goldengategeckos
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 10:23 AM
Subject: concerning payment and shippment

Greetings,
Everything sounds well .concerning the item am okay with the prize of $400 and I will be offering you $450 for it so i will want you to keep other buyer's off.Concerning payment I have a friend in the state who is ready to issue you a us Certified Cashier Check since I don't have the funds in your currency. For convinient and easy shipping, I have a liable shipping agent who'd be responsible for the shipping as soon as you receive payment for the item.I will therefore need the following information of yours to forward to my friend before he sends the check.

NAME IN FULL................
ADDRESS IN FULL..........
STATE...............
ZIPCODE........
COUNTRY.......
CELL/OFFICE/HOME
PHONE NUMBER...........

I await your soonest reply
REGARDS
JOHN.

To: john mike
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: concerning payment and shippment
Hello John,
You may send the $450 US Cashier's Check via Priority Mail to:

Golden Gate Geckos
XXXX XXXXXXXXXX Drive
XXXXXXXX, CA 94531
USA
925-755-3113

As soon as I receive the check and it clears the bank, we can arrange shipping to your agent here in the USA!

Thank you very much,
Marcia McGuiness
Golden Gate Geckos
925-755-3113

To: goldengategeckos
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 5:26 AM
Subject: Base on truth and payment

Greetings ,
Thanks for the reply and the information you sent.Concerning payment I have just called my friend now and he has said he'd be sending a cashier check of $3450 to your contact address in which you will remove the asking price of $400 after cashing it in a local cashing store and an extra $50 for your service and then wire the balance to the shipper via westernunion money transfer that he will use for all his flight charges hotel bills and the insurance and all other shipping charges when coming to your location for the pick up of the item, I hope I can trust you on this?.The information of the shipper will probably be sent alongside the check. I will notify you if he has sent it. Looking forward to completing this transaction w/ you.Get back to me asap.

NOTE:All western union charges must be deducted from the shipping funds .Here is my contact info below:

John mike
7a Omiston Grove,
London,EC3N 2PR
United Kingdom

Best regards..................JOHN

To: john mike
Sent: Sunday, March 19, 2006 10:41 AM
Subject: Re: Base on truth and payment

John, or whoever you are:
Nice try, but this is one of the oldest SCAMS in this business, and I will NOT tolerate it! I am reporting this communication as internet fraud, and if and when I receive the check I will report it to the United States Federal Government as mail fraud.

I honestly do not know how you criminals can even sleep at night! Do not contact me again under ANY circumstances.

Good riddance.

Marcia McGuiness
Golden Gate Geckos
925-755-3113

Old 03-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
lpmbakery@qwest.net
Another scammer

Here is another leach to watch out for. Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:18:53 -0800 (PST)
From: "john cole" <cjohn120@yahoo.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Yahoo! DomainKeys has confirmed that this message was sent by yahoo.com. Learn more
Subject: Bearded Dragons
To: sandsdragons@yahoo.com

I am interested in buying this dragon for my client,who has a Reserve in the United Kingdom.I want to know the healthy condition of the dragon and final asking price.Get back to me ASAP.

Regards

John.
r.

Old 03-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
densnake1
I had a guy try almost the same thing with me after 4 or five e-mails he said it would be faster if I gave him MY credit card # so he could deposit the money in my account. I almost fell on the floor laughing! Just my 2 cents.
Dennis Cook

Old 03-19-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
George, take a look at the grammar/puncuation of your correspondence compared to mine... I'll guarantee it is the same 'John'. Out of curiosity, do you have his IP address or information?

Old 03-20-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
joepythons
Thumbs up fun

You should have done what several others have done to them.Have them send you a check overnighted.Tell them several times that you have never recieved the check this way it costs them to keep sending you there phony checks .Maybe someday these people will be shut down .

Old 03-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #6
lpmbakery@qwest.net
Marcia, This is the IP # I come up with [66.163.179.194]

Old 03-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Omniherp
Same thing

I have a friend here locally, who sells puppies on the internet, he too got this same email offer. At the time, he di dnot know any different as he was new to the internet sales. I explained to him what was going on and sure enough when the cashiers check arrived, he took them to a friend of ours at the bank and discovered they had already been cashed. So, this scam is not limited to the herp industry, but I wish there was someway to stop this ridiculousness.

Jason

Old 03-21-2006, 01:08 AM   #8
liquidleaf
I think pretty much any kind of classified ad on the internet is a target for these scammers - my husband has an ad up to sell his minicup race truck, and we still get 2 or 3 "I would like to buy your (minicup truck) please tell me the condition and latest asking price of (minicup truck)" types of email, all offering to take care of shipping, blah blah blah. They normally reek of a form letter. There are so many people trying this that it's probably not the same person...

Old 03-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #9
liquidleaf
Oops - I meant 2 to 3 PER WEEK.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
Scott Ashton
Marcia:

The link below will allow you to report the incident:

http://www.ic3.gov/

It is the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!