Purple fluorescent frog discovered in Suriname - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
garweft
Purple fluorescent frog discovered in Suriname

BEIJING, June 5 (Xinhuanet) -- Two dozen new species including a purple fluorescent frog were discovered in the South American Highlands of Suriname, scientists said Monday.

"The discovery of so many species outside the insect realm is extraordinary and points up the need to survey distant regions," said Leeanne Alonso of Conservation International, which led the expedition that found the new species.

"When you go to these places that are so unexplored and so remote, we do tend to find new species ... but most of them are insects," Alonso said by telephone from Suriname's capital, Paramaribo. "What's really exciting here is we found a lot of new species of frogs and fish as well."

Among the species found were the atelopus frog, which has distinctive purple markings; six types of fish; 12 dung beetles, and one ant species, he said.

The scientists called for better conservation management in the unprotected, state-owned areas, where hunting and small-scale illegal mining is common

Purple fluorescent frog discovered in Suriname

Old 06-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
garweft
Here's the picture that was with the above news article.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
Very neat looking frog. Wonder what genus it will wind up in?
I'm not a frog guy really, but it looks a lot like something from the Dendrobates group.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
IloveSnakes1234
ooohhh.. funky!!!
It's looks cool.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
garweft
It is in the genera Atelopus. It is the same genera as the harlequin toad or clown frog, Atelopus varius.

They are actually in the true toad family Bufonidae. The genera does have some very nicely colored animals that rival the dart frogs.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Clay Davenport
Ah I see. I read "the atelopus frog" in the article, but due to the way they wrote it I didn't realize that was actually the genus name.
After going to the source page, I saw they were more clear in the photo caption.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
INSANE CANES
Cool looking frog.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #8
Rattlesnake
This is just too cool for words.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
jonh
Save the fluorescent frog!

The fluorescent frog was recently discovered in South America with several other brand new species. Tragically, their only habitat is expected to be decimated by a proposed mining project. It's just a frog--right? No! I've learned from the Rainforest Action Network (RAN) that all wild amphibians are now critically endangered. And if they are extinguished forever, our world loses not only these extraordinary creatures but their rainforests' untapped miracles: plants that cure diseases, provide foods & purify the air & water. Miners, drug traffickers, poachers & other forest destroyers even kill the native people who've lived there centuries & could teach us their secrets.

Our children's children might find captive-bred frogs at a pet store, but I know they'll ask parents & teachers (like me) why we let an entire class of species--amphibians--go extinct in the wild. Here's a future dialog:

"You mean there used to be wild frogs of every color, even poisonous ones?
--Yes, my child, but amphibians were fragile & most needed their rainforests to survive. Your great grandfather's generation destroyed their habitats long ago."
"That's sad! Isn't that what happened to the wild parrots & all those great mammals like tigers, jaguars, rhinos & gorillas?
--Yes; they were more adaptable than amphibians, but humans finally extinguished them as well.
"Why couldn't the good people protect the animals' habitats?"
--Your great grandfather donated a lot of his money to help save wildlife, but it was too little too late."
"You mean they just needed more money?"
--That's right. Most endangered species lived in poor countries where the park rangers who were supposed to protect them barely made enough to feed their families, let alone get all the equipment they needed to protect wildlife. And they were far outnumbered by all the people who were killing the wildlife & cutting or burning down the forests."
"Why did people do that?"
--For money.
"Why didn't we send those countries more money to protect their wildlife?"
--Good question!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!