Need help dragons dieing. - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #71
frillielover17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace9916 View Post
I'm looking to see if they can test the feeders for any type of bacteria, perasites, anything really that they might be hosting and passing on to my dragons. This would be just to check if there is any possibility of being the problem or to go ahead and rule them out.
On my forum my moderator does tests on feeder insects. If you want, I can ask him for more information or to email you with more info on having them tested. He's in school to become an exotics/reptile vet. If you can, PM me your email address and I will try to get back to you ASAP

Old 04-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #72
ace9916
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleria View Post
Agreed.
I know I've seen in the past where people have lost even larger numbers than you have at this point and kept it completely hush hush just because they were afraid of what it would do to their business. And in the long run it not only hurt/destroyed theirs but hurt those who ended up having whatever illness it was spread to their collections.
It's great that you're not only looking for answers but doing so out in the open on this forum. Looking for assistance and ideas from anyone here along with continuing to keep everyone updated on anything you do find out is a really great thing for anyone who may end up in your situation in the future.
Thank You I don't mind sharing. I'd rather learn and here from others experiences then to stay quiet and never get an answer. Just like how I'am right now I wouldn't be able to rest much if I never found out what happened.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #73
angie.h
That seems like a lot of bleach. Again...I'm just guessing.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #74
Tere Salazar
Hope you don't mind...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...829#post932829

And frillielover, that's awesome!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #75
ace9916
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
That seems like a lot of bleach. Again...I'm just guessing.
OOoopsss Sorry i didn't say what kind of cap I use its not big its a small water bottle size lid. I forgot what the mix ratio is but if i had to guess its about a small thimble size amount, or just under it. I can almost never even smell the presence of the bleach in the water. For this reason I keep the bottle up high where no one but me can get it. Dont want anyone drinking it my mistake.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #76
ace9916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere Salazar View Post
Hope you don't mind...

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...829#post932829

And frillielover, that's awesome!
Nope I'm Ok with it. I think if i would have noticed that section before i might have posted something there as well.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #77
Bacula
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace9916 View Post
I use bleach maybe about half a cap full to every 2 liters or so. when I spray and clean I remove the sliding glass so it has better air flow and dries quicker. In the mean time the dragons are taking a bath in their tubs. Then I go over it with a damp cloth( water) and let it dry. Usually i fan dry also with one of the lids to the tubs. Once its all dry I set the new newspaper down their bowls and then the dragons.

This was another thing i have taken into mind but having lost so many in different enclosures my odds would have to be really high to say its from poison. But i have considered using other methods. I was readding the other day how some use lemon juice, vinegar and other products and have been looking into changing over.

P.S. Sorry if my spelling is off a little I'm at working and doing this at the same time.
Natural products would be the way to go. I have been keeping up on your thread and am sorry for your losses. I have currently just got some dragons and would be devastated if I lost one. I had three and Wednesday I got two more from Terri so I'm up to five and love everyone. So I'm just curious as to what were the potential causes and would like to improve on my husbandry if at all possible. I use bleach in the same way and am always wiping the cages down with clean water after the bleach and I'm so cautious wipe it down a second time with water. If you find another cleaning solution I would love to here of it.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #78
ace9916
I just spoke to one of my old suppliers and they just told me that their is a virus going around with crickets. That if you have crickets here in the south west corner they are like gold. Just about evryone here in the west cost has either little or no crickets to sell.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:10 PM   #79
Tere Salazar
See, to me (keeping in mind I'm certainly no professional), that makes so much more sense with your colony than Adenovirus. The speed with which you've lost such a large number of adult dragons is just not like anything I've heard of or experienced with Adenovirus.

However, if that might be the case, I'd sure attempt to find out who else has dragons that bought from the people you bought from and around the last time you did...and see if they're having any issues with their dragons. Therein, your answer may be.

Did you notice your feeders having any issues at all before you starting losing dragons?

Edit: Sorry, went back and read...saw this was previously addressed.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #80
chris allen
Wow, this is scary, very sorry to hear what is going on.

On the possible issues with the bugs, is this from certain suppliers, or all the cricket companies?

It feels like more and more, not even just for dragons but for people as well, if you want to be safe you really have to produce your own stuff(veggies etc).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!