Question on breeding Rosy boas. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Charis
Question on breeding Rosy boas.

I've asked this question several times in a couple of different places but have only had it partially answered. If you ask what is a good criteria for breeding a female, I get told a certain age and one with good weight and sometimes length. Now I've gotten people to tell me what they consider a minimum age and a good length, but nobody will name a figure for a "good" weight. Being that I'm mostly a Colubrid keeper, judging a "good" weight on a naturally thicker bodied species is harder for me and I'd like people's opinions with actual numbers, please! Since maybe my last couple attempts at this question was too broad, the particular snake I'm interested in, is a 3' Mexican Rosy, she's a proven breeder and I don't have an actual age on her but she is between 10 and 14. What weight should she be to consider breeding her? Also, what is everyone's opinion on the age that a female Rosy should be retired, when would you consider one too old? I'm sure that would vary based on individual, but in general. Thank you for any replies!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
InterExotics
This is just my personal experience. You will probably get different answers, and there is not necessarily a right or wrong one...

Generally weight is irrelevant when breeding rosies. I wait until 2.5-3 years of age for both males and females. Usually they are 120-150 grams but this can vary. I go by their health, and if they seem ready...

As far as retiring them, I am uncertian. I judge everything based upon their health and how well they are reproducing. I do not breed them every year, they get breaks.. .After all, they deserve a break

Old 03-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Charis
Thank you so much for the reply!
I actually went ahead and paired this girl, Esme with my male, Sebastian this month. Had one hookup that I'm 95% sure of and a few others that I'm less sure of. Guess we will see how she does! She weighed 389 grams the last time I weighed her, which was two weeks ago and I think she weighs a little more now.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
InterExotics
Sounds great! Good luck with the rosies they are great snakes. I should get around to weighing my females. 389 grams, Wow!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Charis
Just thought that I should update this thread. Esme weighed 414 about 2 weeks after I introduced Sebastian. I'll probably not breed Esme next year and I think that if and when I do breed her again, I'll try to get her up to at least 450. She did not eat very well while gravid and it took a lot out of her. She does seem to be healthy still, just skinny. She gave birth to six very healthy and plump babies on 7/31. Here are a few pictures of the new little ones.

Group shot of the first five.

A single one.

Number six being born.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Charis
They all pooped yesterday, so while I cleaned their cages I went ahead and weighed them, snapped a few pics and sort of checked them for spurs. Since I was trying to stress them the least amount, not real sure about anything I may or may not have seen. Takes me awhile every time I use my husband's camera to get the hang of it. So the pictures slowly get better.

ExS2012-1 20grams, possible spurs.

ExS2012-2. 19 grams. No spurs?

ExS2012-3. 22 grams. No spurs?

ExS2012-4. 22 grams. No spurs?

ExS2012-5. 19 grams. Forgot to check spurs.

ExS2012-6. 21 grams. No spurs?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
InterExotics
They all look great! Thank you for the updates! It's good to learn new things about the rosy boas since there isn't a whole lot of information out there. I hope to expand on my rosy boa collection this fall.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!