NERD supports Voids and plays with them - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #151
Rebel Dragons
Nice twist Karen.

To answer your question. No, I do not condemn it. Nor do I condone it. I don't approve of it but that is simply because I don't feel I know enough about it to do either.

As I stated earlier. I don't approve of pythons or constrictors being around small children either. Simply because I don't trust the animal enough.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #152
Jim O
Karen,

Let me make this simple for you. You have seen my posts many times and as I have said to others, I do not do subtle. Because I failed to condemn, do not take that as condoning. I was simply not prepared to condemn NERD as having anything to do with the pictured activity until context or verification was offered. I never said it was OK. Honestly, I do not know Kevin from Kara from Justin from Andy or any of the others except as voices on the telephone. It really is hard to know faces that way.

I fail to see how asking for context of the photos (ie was this a NERD event and were these really NERD people) can be construed by any reasonable person as condoning anything. Being told to go find it myself by the original poster because he evidently did not even know caused this thread to go where it went. And as for David, I have been forthright in complimenting his good posts, not just in criticizing the bad ones. As I said, I don't do subtle. I think that he knows where he stands with me at present. And as I said, I think that he has learned to spend an extra bit of time getting his ducks in a row before making an accusation, even if that accusation is later proved to be true. It is the nature of human beings, after all, to ask questions. I believe that's called intellectual curiosity. And giving honest and complete answers is a function of integrity.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:28 PM   #153
Gary O
I would really like to get NERDS reply to this. I am not sure why they have not replied to some of the questions here.

I do have a few and in no way is this to start a war

1)Why do you have kids touching hots?

2)Why do kids need to be in striking range of hots?

3)Why did these snakes need to be freehandled to show them to people?

4)Is this the first time this has happened?

5)Will this be the last time this happens?

I am not trying to tell you how to run things but you have to admint this was not the best choice. I have to say I can make a list a mile long why voids are bad and rant about it for days. But to tell you the truth. The Void thing is a second issue to the fact public were touching and in striking range of HOTS.

But as stated here many times if this was any joe blow free handling hots people would have slammed him for days. And to tell you the truth slamming them does nothing. Education does everything. Maybe NERD needs to be educated. Just becuase they are a big dog in the breeding world does not mean they know everything. Everyone has there stregths and weak points. if I came up on that in person I would have thrown a fit and pulled Kevin to the side and asked him what the hell he was thinking. JMHO

Old 07-09-2005, 09:32 PM   #154
JuliusSqueezer
To answer your question of context however late it may be...again...Yes it was a NERD event held at NERD by NERD featuring NERD Owner and employees. Now where do you stand? Do you think NERD represented these animals to the public in a way that sheds a good light on reptile keeping as a whole or even any part of it?

Old 07-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #155
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusSqueezer
To answer your question of context however late it may be...again...Yes it was a NERD event held at NERD by NERD featuring NERD Owner and employees. Now where do you stand? Do you think NERD represented these animals to the public in a way that sheds a good light on reptile keeping as a whole or even any part of it?
I know the context. It has been made clear to me. And my opinion, if not made forcefully enough to satisfy some of you could not be clearer. I am very disturbed by those photos. Kevin should know better or should have known better. I hope that he reads this and heeds this.

I am also rather concerned about an answer to David's question with respect to not knowing the origin of the animals. If these were animals of unknown origin then this was even more of a dumbass move.

As I said, I don't do subtle. Could I make this any clearer for anyone?

Old 07-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #156
Jim O
I believe that I made all this clear in a post this morning. But if there's anywhere where anyone can show that I approved of this activity (aside from Karen's convoluted "You condone it by not condeming it" long after I had indeed condemned it) I would be interested to know where it is.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #157
JuliusSqueezer
Just trying to clear away the contextual dead horse that was mucking up the thread Now lets resume the NERD bashing please ...I have to say though, I doubt any of this will change the way they act....just what they publish photographic evidence of. They are an extremely self righteous bunch.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #158
Rockford
Hey folks.....Let's stay on the real issue here and get some of the answer's that Gary is asking.

This thread really isn't about Jim back peddling. It's about how this sort of activity(the careless handling of Hots or Voids) can affect our hobby as a whole. It isn't just a Void issue, it's an issue where I may not be able to keep my Boas or responsibly kept Hots in the near future because of other's actions.

After mowing my lawn and cleaning out my garage I got to thinking and I am pretty pissed off by NERD's actions. I hope that people realize how serious this crap is.

bthacker

Old 07-09-2005, 10:03 PM   #159
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfos
Does anyone know the venomous laws in New England? Reason being if it is a permit required they would have to have one being a cobra even if it is a void is still classified as a cobra and would be a permit required snake.
Well Mr. Rhodes Scholar, they vary from state to state and last time I checked "New England" was not a state.

Best as I can determine, for New Hamshire (yes New Hampshire is a state and is where NERD is):

Native Venomous: Permit required

Exotic Venomous: Permit required

Protected Native Venomous: Permit required

Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus)

New Hampshire Fish and Game Department

2 Hazen Drive

Concord, NH 03301

So yes Virginia, a permit is required in New Hampshire.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #160
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bthacker
This thread really isn't about Jim back peddling.
That's good because I haven't. But if you can find where I have, show me. I'm not holding my breath. Wake me up when it's over...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread