Another Dead Snake from REPTILE RANCH - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
ShedtheGear
Angry Another Dead Snake from REPTILE RANCH

I wanted to warn some people about this breeder.

I bought 2 '06 DH Snows.

9 days later one was dead. He never took a meal from me and regurgitated a white substance (at least I believe it was a regurge) a few days after I received him.

I have over 15 snakes and have been keeping snakes for over 5 years. I've never had a death.

After his death, I emailed the breeder to which I got the following response:

"being that you have had them for 9 days and anything could have gone wrong AND EVERY SINGLE ANIMAL I HAVE (OVER 100) never has exhibited any issues, eating, regurging or anything and nothing has died, I dont know what to tell you. I had another customer that was cooking her snake and blamed me for it, so that is why I only guarantee live arrival, anything after that point cannot be guaranteed due to unpredictable elements which I cannot control or modify. I can offer one from a future litter at a reduced rate if you are interested. Why did you not contact me when you noticed white substance being regurged, did you actually see this coming out of his mouth? there are issues which will cause this to happen especially being a baby, not having developed his stomach muscles and going thru transport. The key is low stress, no handling until such time as they eat without any issues and settle in. I am not scolding you, I am only trying to help in the off chance that you did not know about these issues. At this time I cannot offer refunds or exchanges as stated above, this is the best I can do for you.
Next time you have a problem, contact the seller immediately for any info they might have to be able to correct the situation immediately. I have been doing this for 25 years and I learn something new every day from talking with different people. Best regards,
"

The REPTILE RANCH takes no responsiblity for the death at all. This wasn't an 'expensive' snake, but it did cost a few hundred dollars.

When I responded to the above email asking them to at least split the cost of the snake or replace the snake with a live one I got no response. When I emailed her back asking if she got my response, she said. "I already responded to you."

The other snake seems to be fine. He regurged his first meal. I just refed him a 10 days laster and so far he's kept it down and seems to be OK.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
burncycle
Sorry about your loss, but babies are delicate and these things happen. How old was the snake and how many meals did it take in when you bought it? I would have notified them right away to atleast have it on record that the snake regurgitated. Maybe then they would have been more willing to help you replace or refund the snake, but since they weren't rude or ignorant to you and offered a discounted snake when available I wouldn't mark them as bad guys.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
burncycle
Then again they already have a bad rep on here and I wouldnt have dealt with them to begin with.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:34 AM   #4
Dennis Hultman
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=85001

This recent thread (listed above) started as a “good guy” post but the buyer experienced similar problems as you.

Listed below, are several other threads as well.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...ead.php?t=73922
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...ead.php?t=67951
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...ead.php?t=60933
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/for...ead.php?t=51536

Old 08-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
johnsonink
shed sorry to hear about that... i acctually bought two of your snakes litter mates and one of which is pretty sick ....they pretty much blew me off as well..... i bet they dont last long in the boa biz i promise u that..... the idea of being a good breeder is making a name for yourself... but not this kind of name.....sorry again

Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #6
johnsonink
when did u make your purchase?? and what condition is the other boa in??

Old 08-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
Bill_Leverton
Mike I am truly sorry for your loss,But when did you notice something wrong with the boa ??? I do realize that these people basically blew you off, and in my book that makes them crap.....But Please don't think this next statement is directed at you personally, so please don't take offence. this is more directed at people who buy a reptile and upon noticing that something wrong contact the seller and get the run around within the first couple of days,( by then you are getting no where with the seller) been there done that....Why don't people make an appointment with a G-D vet ??? Ive seen to many people who get sub par animals fight back and forth with the seller and all the while the animal dies, in my opinion that animal should of came first, then if things go south for real, then you know what ???? the animal has a chance to survive. just on a another note any animal that comes here gets checked by a vet the day they come....like the 4 I'm getting tomorrow. there are alot of s-b out there and we all take a chance on what we get...The animal comes first and fore-most. Just a thought.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
ShedtheGear
Sorry to hear that I'm not the only one...

that has had issues with this breeder.

But to hear that snakes from the SAME LITTER have had similar issues and they write me emails telling me this kind of thing has never happened before and that it must be my fault, etc...

They won't last long in this business, or any other business for that matter.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
ShedtheGear
I made the purchase...

about a month ago.

The other one seems to be OK. He/She took his/her first meal from me last Friday and has kept it down and seems to be ok. (oh another thing, she didn't even mark which one was the male and which one was the female. I'll have to resex the survivor when I get my probes back from my friend).

In all honesty, the other snake appeared to be in good shape. He had a little bit of (what I guessed) was regurge. I say (I think) b/c it could've come out the other end. I didn't think to contact the seller right away b/c I expected a healthy snake to begin with and figured it was something that would pass.

Knowing what I know about Reptile Ranch now, I know that they wouldn't have done anything anyway even had I contacted them sooner.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
johnsonink
make sure you keep the other boa away from your collection you dont want ibd getting spread around .......keep it separate for a few months to observe it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!