Suggestions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-16-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
fuscusking13
Suggestions

My best friends son is my little junior snake assistant. I bought him a ball python back in february 2006, but unfortunately it passed away about 10 days ago or so. He doesnt know yet and his birthday is coming up this weekend. I am going to take him to the berks show in June and get something for him. My retics have already outgrown him and so has my burm. My male pastel ball is too aggressive to be trusted with him since he is just turning three. I know it sounds crazy to have such a young kid around snakes, but he is very responsible for his age with them. I have taught him the fundamentals since he could walk. He knows not to touch their heads, or tails, not to move quick around them and to always support them with both hands. I also have been educating him since day one on the fundamentals of metal as you will see in the last pic. He is a huge Dio fan lol, and he likes Pantera too. Poor kid tries way to hard to be like me, lol. He loves them, and I feel bad that when he comes over to spend the weekend on occasion his is gone and he has nothing to handle. Basically what I am looking for is a good python for him that wont set me back a bunch. I really do hate ball pythons and would rather not get another one if I dont have to, but it cant be anything too big either. Anyone have any ideas?? I'll attach some pics of him with his ball and my female that I traded a couple months back. I have to dig up the pics of him with my burm, but I dont have them on the computer. Thanks guys, Dan M.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:03 AM   #2
hhmoore
Much as I hate to say it, Dan, BPs are probably the best bet for a kid that age. There are some nice smallish pythons, but they tend to be flightly (and a bit unpredictable when they are young). The bigger stuff just grows too fast to seriously consider them for a little guy like that.
I think colubrids tend to be a little too active, and are a bit delicate as babies...and the smaller boas might not be the best option for him.
Of course, you know him...and how calm/gentle he can be, so you are in a better position to make that call.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
fuscusking13
Yeah... I really am afraid I am going to have to deal with another ball ugh!! I wish I could get lucky and get a really nice male blood or something, but they are usually way to unpredictable and still eventually get too big. I was hoping there was something a little more interesting since I am the one who has to take care of it, and its no secret I hate(well not hate, just cant stand) ball pythons lol. I cant wait till he is old enough to get him his first retic!!! That will be exciting. He is as calm and gentle and respectful of their space as I am, and probably more so, because I could care less is if I get bit by a ball, its not a big deal at all. I will look around at the show and see if something strikes me, maybe a Scrub lol. A baby male burm would stay small enough for almost a year, but after that it would outgrow him, and perhaps sooner the way I feed. I dont know, but if anyone has any creative ideas let me know. I went over their house last night and as soon as I got there he was asking me where the snakes were and what they were doing!!! I need to get him one soon enough. Dan M.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
filez41
How about a young carpet python? Sometimes they're nippy as babies, but once they're used to being handled they are the sweetest things. Mine is only 6 months old, and he's still very small and just a sweetheart. They get long fast, but they stay very thin, at least compared to balls. They don't grow much bigger than balls, and by the time a young one got to be full sized, your friend's son would be a couple years older and able to handle it. Just a thought!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
fuscusking13
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the input. I have worked with many carpets and they tend to be a bit unpredictable. As much as he loves snakes his mother does not( im working on that, she has finally touched one now lol). She trust me and therefore allows him to handle those I trust. If he gets bit I will get hurt lol. I know every snake can bite, but carpets are a little to much of a risk. I am not big on carpets either, beautiful snakes, but I dont feel I can "trust" one. Did you ever get your whole carpet worked out?? If i remember you were trying to raise humidity right?? Hopefully it all worked out for you. Take care, Dan M.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
filez41
Yeah, I got it worked out, good memory! I moved him into a 20 gallon long and it's been great ever since. That's a good point about their unpredictability, my guy is more twitchy and climby than the balls. I'm never worried about him striking though, mostly because he doesn't even attack his prey, he just eats it... what a weirdo.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #7
hhmoore
Many carpets get past the unpredictable stage quickly. My reason for not suggesting them is their young size and that darned tail. Imagine one wrapping its tail around a 3 year old's fingers while he has it out - you know how persistent they are - I just didn't see a child that age having the gentleness, patience, and coordination to routinely disentangle himself without hurting the snake

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!