Bad Guy Jon Boone - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Dactylusfan
Jon Boone

I typically do not like to publicly air business issues, but after communications with a couple of people, I have found that Jon Boone has a pattern of bad business ethics and I do not want others to fall victim to his lack of ethics, as I have. In mid May of 2016 Jon posted a list of geckos that he had available. On that list was a female Cyrtodactylus peguensis for $125. I messaged Jon and asked if he may have a male available in the future. He said that he had a couple of juveniles that include one that looks to be a male. He sent me a final price of $290 for the female and possible male with shipping. On May 27, 2016 I sent payment via PayPal. I will post our iMessages below, and the rest is self explanatory.

Philip Patton
5/27, 2:41pm
Jon I'll take the 0.1 Cyrtodactylus peguensis for $125. How much for shipping to 22025? Thanks!

Jon Boone
5/27, 4:17pm
Would be $40 for shipping. If you paypal please do,so to jsboone@cox.net.
How are things going?

Philip Patton
5/27, 4:44pm
Great, any possibility of having a male available in the future? I'm still interested in a female Microgecko as well. How's things on your end. It's gonna be kinda warm next week, so that maybe a concern with shipping. Thanks!

Jon Boone
5/27, 5:19pm
I have 2 younger ones that should be sexable on a few weeks. I'll keep you informed on them and first dibs if you're getting this female. Shopping bext week shouldn't be a problem from this side.

Philip Patton
5/27, 5:21pm
I'll send payment in about an hour.

Philip Patton
Any chance you would be willing to sell the two juveniles as well?

Jon Boone
5/27, 6:53pm
I'll sell one that looks most male. How about that?

Philip Patton
5/27, 7:00pm
Sure. Are you asking $125 each?

Jon Boone
5/27, 7:01pm
Yes sir.

Philip Patton
5/27, 7:08pm
Sounds good!

Philip Patton
5/27, 7:27pm
One more quick question. These are the peguensis that the males chirp?

Jon Boone
5/27, 7:39pm
Yep, they chirp loud like parakeets ;-)

Philip Patton
5/27, 8:46pm
Payment maid. Thanks!

Philip Patton
Hey Jon can I have you ship to my local FedEx to be held for pickup? Thanks. Here's the shipping address.

Philip Patton
HOLD AT HUB FOR CUSTOMER PICK UP
2910 Prince William Pkwy.
WOODBRIDGE, VA 22192
US

Philip Patton
6/1, 8:43am
Philip Patton
Hey Jon, any idea when you might ship?

Jon Boone
6/1, 8:57pm
Hey, sorry for slow follow up. Just lots going on past 2 days . ..
I might have to be to ship tomor, or if not I will get them out to you next Monday. Let me know how your schedule looks.

Philip Patton
6/1, 9:05pm
Either way is fine with me. No rush. I know how life gets sometime. Thanks!

Philip Patton
6/9, 10:06am
Hey Jon, can we shoot for Monday on shipping the C. peguensis?

Philip Patton
6/12, 7:53pm
Jon, just wondering if you might be able to ship this week? Thanks.

Jon Boone
6/13, 10:26am
Hey bud, I can ship this week but one of the people who helps here inadvertently left a cage open where the 2 younger of the 3 were kept and they are out on the loose. We've been looking and watching for them 😞 should I send the for sure female now and the other when we find the 2 that are loose? Or just hold off?
Worse case I can get more from a,friend and get you hooked up one way or another.

Philip Patton
6/13, 10:28am
I can hold off until you hopefully find them. Thanks.

Philip Patton
7/4, 4:18pm
Hi Jon, just a heads up. I will be moving to Ft. Bragg, Nc. In two weeks. So, if you happen to find your missing C. Peguensis, I would like to hold off shipping until the week after July 15. Happy 4th of July! Thanks.

Jon Boone
7/6, 10:02am
Thx bud. Hope things go well with your move! Touch base after things settle in for you guys.

Philip Patton
7/25, 10:48pm
Hey Jon, The weather here is going to be very hot for the next couple weeks. It's supposed to stay in the low 100s. I'm just waiting for better weather in order to have the Peguensis shipped. I hope you don't mind holding onto them for a little bit longer. Thanks!

Jon Boone
7/28, 1:19pm
I do not mind in the least bud. Its hot here too.
Hope your move wasnt too rugged!

Philip Patton
8/8, 2:56pm
Hey Jon, our local highs should be in the high 80's through Friday. Do you think it would be safe to ship the C. Peguensis at those temps? Thanks.

Jon Boone
8/8, 2:59pm
We are getting closer to shipping temps bud. Sorry it's taking so long. The one flew the coop and it's been a pain, along with the high temps and your move. It's around 100 f. here every day until this Friday.... :-(
hope everything is smooth in your new location!

Philip Patton
8/8, 3:01pm
Settling in well. I'm in no big hurry. I really appreciate your patience. Did you find the one that flew the coop?

Philip Patton
9/25, 9:15pm
Hey Jon, it looks like the weather is getting nice for shipping in my area. I was wondering if you would be able to ship the C. Peguensis this week?

Jon Boone
9/25, 9:16pm
Saw you were in Japan! See amy geckos?

Philip Patton
9/25, 9:17pm
Unfortunately no.😩

Jon Boone
9/25, 9:17pm
I should be free to ship mid week, so if you're back, I can do it.
I only have the one sub adult femake. Uggh. I can give you credit towards anything else. Should I send you a list tomor??

Philip Patton
9/25, 9:19pm
Awesome! Please ship to XXXXXXXXXXXXX. Any chance you might get a male in the future?
Or a female Microgecko persicus euphorbiacola?

Jon Boone
9/25, 10:23pm
Shouldn't be a problem to get more. But it might be even next spring before getting a definite male. The Hamm show was a couple of weeks ago.
Ill send the one for now and just let me know if you want anything else for this shipment.
Too bad you couldn't stand to find some Goniuro! Would have been an epic find

Philip Patton
10/8, 11:26pm
Hey Jon, sitting here in Nord Cakalacky a bit bored with hurricane Mathew knocking our power and water out. I'm not clear on what we decided for the C. Peguensis. Could you still send me your list, and if you come across a male in the future or, if I'm really lucky, even a pair we will go from there? Thanks!

Jon Boone
10/8, 11:29pm
I think I just found a male for you yesterday. That would give you a pair. It will be another 10 days (post Tinley) before I get him in.

Philip Patton
10/8, 11:30pm
SAWEET! I sure appreciate all you trouble!
Let me know if the male cost more. I understand if it does. I don't want you to lose your shirt on this. Thanks!

Jon Boone
10/17, 12:17pm
Got your male peguensis, but was a bit more expensive than what i charged you for little unsexed ones...
If you can send $55 to cover the difference, I'll send him along

Jon Boone
10/17, 1:26pm
ps. the $55 helps cover the small differential and half of hte shipping of 2 geckos total in the shipment that's coming to me.

Philip Patton
10/17, 1:57pm
(I sent a thumbs up.)

Philip Patton
10/27, 8:30pm
Any chance you may be able to ship next week?

Jon Boone
10/29, 2:30pm
Yep. The male I got for you is a nice one. What's your schedule like

Philip Patton
10/29, 2:31pm
I'm having a minor medical procedure done on Monday, so I will be home all week.
I really appreciate you going out of your way to get a male for me. Thanks!

Jon Boone
10/29, 3:12pm
Right on!

Philip Patton
11/9, 10:32am
Jon, just wondering when you might be able to ship the Peguensis?

Philip Patton
11/14, 10:45am
Jon, Is there a possibility that you maybe able to ship the Peguensis this week? Thanks.

Philip Patton
11/17, 12:45pm
I'm assuming you're out of town, or busy. I'm off work next week, so if you could ship, that would be great. Thanks.

Jon Boone
11/17, 12:49pm
Hey! Was out of town and getting back just now. I will be trying to get shipments out this afternoon. Otherwise, early next week. Your peguensis are looking good

Philip Patton
11/17, 12:49pm
I figured you were busy. Sounds good!

Philip Patton
11/22, 7:16pm
Jon any chance that you might have a spare male Paroedura vazimba that you could ship with the Peguensis?

Philip Patton
11/30, 9:45pm
Jon, I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever see the Peguensis?

Jon Boone
12/1, 8:20am
Uggh, my work and life has kept me buried man. I will check on the vazimba after work later tonight. i work for UPS and hours can be very stretched this time of year.

Philip Patton
12/1, 8:35am
I've worked for UPS as well. I understand. Thanks.

Philip Patton
12/5, 8:22am
Any chance you could ship this week?

Philip Patton
12/9, 1:22pm
Jon, I'm sorry but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I haven't heard from you since last week. We went from weather that was too warm to ship, to now, where it's starting to get too cold to ship. I hate to do this, but if I do not hear from you or receive the Peguensis by the end of next week, I am going to make a claim with PayPal and/or my credit card company.

Jon Boone
12/11, 9:00am
First of all, I have no intention of keeping animals from you. I know it's taken some time, but I should be able to ship out to you tomorrow. I've been working 6 days/week and we are in process of moving as well. Just been over-loaded. Thx for bearing with me.

Philip Patton
12/11, 1:07pm
I appreciate you responding. I didn't think that you were holding out on the geckos. I was just getting frustrated with the lack of communication. I don't mind waiting as long as you give me a heads up. Can you please ship to......
Philip Patton
FedEx Ship Center
165 Airport Rd
Fayetteville, NC. 28306
Hold for pickup.
(xxx)xxx-xx19

Philip Patton
12/16, 9:14pm
Okay, Jon so I guess this is another week that the Peguensis were not shipped. Like I said before, I do not think that you are withholding the geckos, but I would appreciate better communication. I will be out of town next week due to Christmas, so I will contact you the following week. Although I anticipate weather that is too cold to ship. Ultimately I would like to receive a healthy pair of geckos, but if I do have to stress through another few weeks of no communication I will either ask for a return of my $345 or make a claim with PayPal.

Philip Patton
12/27, 11:47am
Any chance that the Peguensis could be shipped this week?
Tuesday

Philip Patton
1/3, 4:33pm
Jon, I would like my $345 back or I am going to make a claim with PayPal if I do not here back from you by 9:00 PM EST. Thank you.

I actually gave Jon a couple of days before I finally started a claim with PayPal after this iMessage. I also tried to contact him through other sources before starting the claim, without him responding. As of 1/5/17 I do not have a response from Jon Boone or a 1.1 pair of Cyrtodactylus peguensis as agreed.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
DavidBeard
More than half a year to get them shipped? Absolutely ridiculous, regardless of any circumstances.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
Insomniac101
Philip, I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you don't have any trouble getting a refund from PayPal. Since you paid him on May 27th, it's past their 180-day time frame to file a dispute. Of course, it shouldn't be hard to prove you didn't receive anything, as it's up to the seller to provide a tracking number for any alleged shipment.

Kathy

Old 01-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactylusfan View Post
Jon Boone
5/27, 4:17pm
Would be $40 for shipping. If you paypal please do,so to jsboone@cox.net.
How are things going?
Simply putting a name to a (2014 dormant) Fauna account: Geitje

Old 01-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
Dactylusfan
I have messaged other gecko keepers, and I'm finding a pattern here. Jon is very responsive until your payment is received. I've talked to other gecko keepers that have had to wait up to 11 months to receive their geckos. A warning to Jon Boone, you may want to reconsider your business plan. Otherwise, you maybe spending many hours in federal court fighting wire fraud charges.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
snakesareawesome
If I tell someone I am going to ship, then I am going to ship if there's anyway I possibly can at all. To miss two ship dates is absolutely inexcusable IMO. If I ever managed to do that somehow, I would just send the person the animals for free and refund them.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
DavidBeard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I thought Jon Boone's name sounded familiar, and looking back I can see that this appears to be his modus operandi......take FOREVER to complete transactions and jerk people around.

The last time he had a problem, he tried to huff & puff and discredit the BOI and its relevance to his business. I'd say that as of now we can clearly label him as a BAD GUY and one to stay away from if you value your money and customer service reciprocation.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #9
Dactylusfan
If you notice, after I sent the first payment of $290, I had to ask him 3 times when he planned to ship. Between the first and second payment of $55, he said he would ship once. After that he scheduled two more tentative shipping days and I had to ask another 6 times. That is 9 times that I had to ask if he was going to ship and 3 times that he said he would ship, with an additional implied shipment after the initial payment, which would be the typical business standard. That is a total of 4 shipping days promised on his part, all of which he missed. I have been keeping reptiles since the late 80's. I have reptiles shipped through USPS, Delta Dash, SYR/FedEx and private courier. In all my years of keeping reptiles this has to be the most difficult transaction I have ever made! Jon obviously knows what he is doing when it comes to the biology, husbandry and taxonomy of geckos, but his lack of business ethics and customer service are surely lacking. He caters to the high end and rare market, but does not supply a high end customer service in return.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #10
AppEcto
I understand your frustration Philip. It's frustrating for me to see that he corresponded with you as recently as mid December since I have had no contact since mid November despite an unresolved situation. One gecko out of several that he sent me had issues right out of the box (eye infection/injury). It was dead by the next day, September 5, and Jon promptly offered to send a replacement, but never did. After his first proposed shipping day came and went, I asked multiple times for shipping confirmation without response and after a month went by, I commented on one of his ads publicly asking him to message me. At this point he did, and said he would issue a refund (the gecko was $75) but I never received any refund.

Since then I've had no further responses despite repeated attempts. I was hoping he may have been traveling or otherwise unable to access his online accounts, but based on the time frame you've provided, it looks as though he may just be avoiding me. I don't understand why-we've done business multiple times and this is a relatively small amount of money, so I kept trying to give the benefit of the doubt assuming there must be some good reason and he wasn't intentionally ignoring me...perhaps I was mistaken. I've attached screenshots of our correspondence since the time he said he would ship a replacement Coleonyx.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!