my first snake corn or milk or king - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: What is more friendlier begginer snake
Milk Snake 3 5.77%
Corn Snake 33 63.46%
Kingsnakes 16 30.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
newherper
my first snake corn or milk or king

which is friendlier of the three milks ,corns or, kings

Old 08-29-2004, 07:40 PM   #2
jenn_jeffery
Cornsnakes are really good first snakes, kings and milks are both super squirmy as adults even...

Old 08-31-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Vin115
First snake.....

Corns are always a good beginner snake. Very docile and come in a variety of attractive morphs that you can choose from. Kings and Milks can be a bit squirmy but I think the most docile of the two are Kings. I have a Mexican Black King and I had a California King. Both of them have been a pleasure to keep. Kings and Milks are GREAT eaters and rarely give any problem in that department. My Honduran Milk is a bit jumpy and nervous at times but I have read that this behavior is often seen in the species. But, to sum it all up, I think either a well started Corn or Kingsnake is the best choice. Good luck with whatever you may choose. Take care.

~Vin

Old 08-31-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Sasheena
If you like to just VIEW the snake, a milk or a king could be as rewarding, if not more rewarding, as a corn. But if you want to HOLD the snake, a corn would be a better bet.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:27 PM   #5
Sybella
Oh yes...I put in my vote for a corn!! Milks and Kings are good choices for temperment too but they musk you and I hate that lots!! LOL!

Old 09-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
Alias47
I would NOT get a Milk if you want to handle it.

Some milks can be very tempermental (Hondurans especially)
I have a Pueblan...and it is very shy, very fast, and very VERY squirmy.

Corns are definitely very handleable.

Kings are as well...but they are definitely a two handed snake, especially when they are small. They are fast and never stop moving.

I handle my cali king for HOURS most days and she is very easy to deal with...

Old 09-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #7
Sand&SunReptile
Kings and Milks, if handled from an early age aren't bad at all.
I have a big 4ft king, and she never sits still
I'd rather that then a snake that just sits there doesnt move when handled.
Also a killer arizona moutain king at work that is absolutely stunning, also has a great temperment.
Just my experiances.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:09 PM   #8
vscampbell
Best first snake?

Some of the baby corns I have had have been a little shy on the eating department, never had that probelm with a king snake. The easiest snake I have to handle is a 54" Mexican Black King. Just like a Ball Python or a Boa and eats anything! Baby corns are very wiggly also, as are kings and milks, and it is true that corns don't have a musking defense mechanism like kings and milks do when they are young.

If you choose an Eastern king variety, Mexican Black King, Cal King, or a Corn I can't see how you can go too wrong on the pet side. Just remember to keep the babies humid, sphagnum moss moistened with a sprayer is the best I've found.

Val Campbell

Old 10-04-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
Alias47
I have never heard of keeping the babies humid...other than fresh hatched.

Why do you propose this?

All my snakes have been 3 or 4 feeding hatchlings and have THRIVED in the same environment that my Adults do.

Old 10-04-2004, 06:52 PM   #10
Sand&SunReptile
After they've shed and fed, the humidity is much of an issue. As long as they have 60% or so.
I'd defenitely still choose the king over anything. Even if you do get a biter, if it is small, it wont hurt, and you can calm it down with handling. All the corns we had at work were stubborn to get started. They need to be fed in a very small container. We've had much better success rates when fed in small containers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!