I need help... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #1
Troyee219
I need help...

I just wanted to know how much i should feed my southern two lined sal larvae, he is about to metamorph sometime this month or the beginning of next month, i feed him mosquito larvae and baby(micro) earthworms, i just wanted to know how many mosquito larvae i should feed him, right now i give him 3-4, ive been struggling to get them, wanted to know if i should feed more or not, Thanks!! Please respond quickly!

Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 PM   #2
Herpin Man
Feed as much as it will eat. You might also try live blackworms. It may even take frozen brine shrimp.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:01 AM   #3
LauraB
Expand that little sal's diet! Try some live bloodworms, blackworms, whiteworms, pinhead crickets, springtails, fruit flies. Also make sure his/her tank has good filtration and flow. And as Greg said, feed as much as the little thing wants!

Old 06-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Troyee219
I cant find anything like bloodworms or white worms in my area, all i can do is get moquito larvae and worms i just spent 1 hour out in my yard digging up worms, found some small ones he only seems interested in the mosquito larvae and the smallest of worms like 3-4 cm worms, i wish i could expand his diet i would order things but i can't....

Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Troyee219
I gave him a decently sized worm 2 days ago and all hes ate is 2 mosquito larvae i think hes still working the worm out... And also ive been looking for stores that sell live bloodworms but i cant find anywhere(even online) that sells them online

Old 06-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Troyee219
And also even if i could get blackworms there really expensive... Hes still in complete water he has sloping land area but i havent seen him out of the water so i dont think he will eat fruit flys... Should i just let him go in the creek i found him in?

Old 06-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Troyee219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyee219 View Post
And also even if i could get blackworms there really expensive... Hes still in complete water he has sloping land area but i havent seen him out of the water so i dont think he will eat fruit flys... Should i just let him go in the creek i found him in? I dont have a canister filter or internal filter, just a air pump i change the water every 4 days though and i have duckweed and java ferns... Its been difficult to find mosquito larvae but im doing everything i can to get him food...

Old 06-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
Likely it would accept frozen food (blackworms, mosquito larvae, brine shrimp as already mentioned...).

Local aquarium shops (good ones, not PetCo) sometimes carry live blackworms; local fish clubs sometimes do group buys you can get in on. Live blackworms are not expensive locally (buck or two a tablespoon).

Floating FFs might entice it to try them. Easy enough to try -- got a banana?

I'd feed frozen, if it were my animal.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
Troyee219
I would love to feed frozen but he only is interested in things that move, and what can i make with a banana? also I dont have a canister filter or internal filter, just a air pump i change the water every 4 days though and i have duckweed and java ferns...

Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
Socratic Monologue
You can let a small piece of banana sit out to attract fruit flies. Not a long term solution, but an easy way to try a different food item.

Ultimately, it will eat frozen food once it figures out it is the same thing as live food. There are likely many tricks to weaning animals from live to dead food, but one simple technique is to feed some live and some frozen food at the same time, so that the animal eats both and thus figures out how tasty dead food is. Every salamander I've met has a much smaller brain than stomach, so this shouldn't be difficult.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!