We Got Our Leo This Weekend! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-31-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Lisa W
We Got Our Leo This Weekend!

He/she seems to be in good shape- nice tail no evidence of shedding problems anywhere, bright eyed and curious. We got him/her from a local pet store that specializes in exotics. My son was so excited. He/she is a normal and about 4-4 1/2 inches, I thought their albino's were cute, but my son liked the normal (had to remind myself of who this was for!), in my research they have grown on me too! We found three stores in town that had them but two of them kept them on sand so we declined. We have him/her in a 15 gallon tank with an UTH, a dry hide on the cool side and a moist hide made out of a butter dish with moist moss (his favorite so far), shallow water dish (jar lid) and a milk container top with some calcium supplement. He ate 2 meal worms the first night and 4 last night (these are pretty small worms about a half inch maybe a tad longer). I was so happy about him eating, but I haven't found any poop yet. How long before I should be concerned about the poop (or lack of)?

Old 01-31-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
Great!

Congratulations on your first (and probably not last) Leopard Gecko! The fact that it ate right away says it can't be too stressed out. It sounds like you really did your homework before getting one. I have only one suggestion... put the dry hide on the warm side of the enclosure, where the floor surface temperature is around 90 degrees. This will keep the gecko's digestive and metabolic sytems funtioning properly. Post some pics on the Photo Gallery for us!

Old 01-31-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
ShannanD25
Check inside the hides for poop.
I have some who seem to hide it, some who poop in the same spot all the time, and some who just go wherever and whenever the need arises.
You'll see poop soon!

Old 01-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
Lisa W
Thanks, I looked in the hide when I got home and I see a couple of white specs on the moss that I'm not sure were there before- maybe it is poop? I know it is part solid and part white liquid. I was thinking about getting a second dry hide to put on the warm side- I'll put the one we have over there now. Does anyone dress up their butterdish hides and what is a good way to do it? Gosh it has only been two days and I am thinking about getting another one (for me this time)- I already know where I can find a stand on clearance for $15 and a tank on sale... oh brother I thought reef tanks were addicting! My husband's going to freak! We just had to adopt out our guinea pig because I couldn't shake my allergy to her (my sister took her in)- I would have kept her if it was just sneezing, but my asthma kicked up whenever we were in the same room. So I thought we could try something hairless this time. My 10 year old son totally takes after his animal lover Mom. He just about gave a lecture to the pet stores that had their babies on sand (I told him we would go quietly and not return). I am more of a letter writer anyway than a confrontationalist.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!