question about eggs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
oli7a5
question about eggs

I have eggs incubating at 90 F in my incubator, they have veins and candle nicely and they are a month old, the only problem is that they started to dent or cave in pretty heavily. I have been told it is due to lack of humidity which would make sense, but is there any way it could be due to too much humidity? I increased the humidity and they didn't fill in any, they just look the same, all dented in. Been thinking hard about this and trying to remedy the problem, but just can't figure it out, any help would be appreciated...

Old 06-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Can you post a pic of the clutch? That would help to bring some relevant solutions. How are you increasing the humidity?

Mine did the same exact thing, so I tried a trick I learned from this forum, I laid a damp (not wet) paper towel partially across the top of the eggs. It seemed to arrest the premature denting. Best of luck!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
LadyOhh
Too much humidity would make the eggs swell up to overly large proportions...

Johns idea is a good one, and one I use with much success.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
oli7a5
thanks for the quick responses, that is def. appreciated. I have been using a weight ratio for my eggs of 1,000g perlite+2,000g vermiculite, I mix them together then add 3000 grams of h20. This what was recommended to me by many people. Is there any way the eggs can dry inside the sterilite container even though the medium is moist enough? I think my sterilite which houses the eggs has a lot of ventilation as the lid is not air tight like a rubbermaid for instance. I think this because I never see it foggy or moist on the walls/ceiling of the sterilite bin even after i added extra water to the substrate. I can't supply pics as I have no camera. I have placed a moist paper towel on top of the eggs, but it doesn't seem to be influencing them. Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
TheFragginDragon
Well, the ratio's sound about right. Oliver, what kind of incubator are you using and how often are you opening your egg bin?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
JenH
Sterlite lids do not seal well enough - that is why the humidity is not high enough. I use press N seal seran wrap and keep an air tight box. I check the eggs about once a week and that lets in fresh air. A week or 2 before I cut (on day 55) I don't seal the stuff real well so air can circulate. When I cut, I remove the press N seal and put the lid back on so I don't get an escapees.... :-)

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
oli7a5
The incubator is a fridge type unit with a helix thermostat. It is on point, it just has one computer fan to circulate the air, and some heat tape inside the walls to heat it up. I put a bowl of water in front of the fan, and I have been keeping moist, but not too moist(i am more familiar with gecko eggs). They have been babied, and I tried to vent them once every 3 days or so, I'm just gonna wait and see. Thanks for the help though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!