Are you a LURKER? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Why I don't post on Fauna
I'm new to reptiles & don't want to look stupid 37 15.95%
I don't have time to post on forums - you guys need to get a life 7 3.02%
You people are mean, rude, or just generally not nice 25 10.78%
I posted once, but got ignored 19 8.19%
Everytime I think of something to say, somebody beats me to it 36 15.52%
I know more about reptiles than any of you people 13 5.60%
I want to post, but can't figure out how 3 1.29%
I only browse forums when I am bored & need entertainment 36 15.52%
I don't know how to post pics 4 1.72%
All my reptiles keep dying, and I don't want anyone to know 1 0.43%
Other 86 37.07%
What are you talking about? I post all the time 34 14.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
hhmoore
Not part of the problem...but maybe part of the group we are trying to reach out to
Personally - I like to see people do there own research. Then, if there is something that doesn't sit right or make sense, ask.
I also understand being active on another forum that offers more of what you are looking for...or even just one that you have been on longer. I visit a few forums, but Fauna is the one I am active on. That is primarily because I have already carved out my niche here, but also because I just don't have the time to be active in all of them. I might check them regularly, but I might go months without a single post. Thanks for your comments!

Old 03-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I also like to lurk the other snake forums here, but I really don't have much expertise to contribute.
I don't have any expertise whatsoever, but look at how much I contribute!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:45 AM   #13
jerichoharris
I don't think she particularly scared, just not too happy. Her main issue is that I'll be terrified (I always have been, but think the royal pythons look very nice and non-threatening) and she'll end up having to look after it. To be honest we haven't got the room right now, and we're planning to move over the next 12 months so it makes sense to wait until then anyway.

There's a reptile place not too far away in South London, so I'll take her along there, show her I can hold them without throwing a fit, and hopefully that will convince her.

She did stick a remarkably lifelike fake rattlesnake (utterly evil looking buggers if you ask me) at the bottom of the bed that made me yelp, and this hasn't helped my cause.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:39 AM   #14
hhmoore
Well - I have to give you both credit then (for different reasons, of course).
Her recognizing that your fear/anxiety could dump the responsibility in her lap could be a big concern, especially if she has no interest in having a snake.
I think it is interesting and commendable that though you admit to being terrified, you still want one. I urge you to be realistic, though. Make sure you can deal with it before making the step. It the fair thing for all 3 of you.
It is also good to see people realistically assessing their lives and the changing conditions BEFORE making any type of pet purchase. Too many pets are the victims of "we're moving and can't take it with us" or "we just moved and can no longer keep it".
Since you have a reptile place reasonably close, I would guess that you have already spent some time working over your fears. Unless you feel you need her for moral support, you might want to make a few trial runs with holding a snake on your own...just to get you used to it. It wouldn't help your cause if you had some sort of melt down when the salesperson hands you the snake, lol. Besides, think how brave you'll appear when you overcome a longtime phobia .
Best of luck!

Old 03-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #15
jerichoharris
I think the terror is/was a psychological connection between venomous/fangs/medical injections which I still hate with a passion. I'm not pretending pythons don't have teeth, but they just aren't the same if you know what I mean. There is another reptile place around the corner from where I work, and I have no issues with looking at, and being around the baby royals at all.

Obviously I'll spend some time in the place and hold a few different snakes to make sure I get one I feel comfortable with, and one that seems comfortable with me, before I buy.

I know that a larger boid is out of the question for many reasons, but if I'm comfortable with a 12 inch BP I can deal with a 13 inch BP and so on. It isn't going to suddenly grow 3 feet overnight so it will be a constant learning experience and one I'm sure I feel more and more comfortable the more experience I get.

At the end of the day surely it comes down to responsiblity and common sense. There are a million and one care sheets that will give you the basics, and forums like this if you need a bit of extra help, and I have no doubt if I'm spending £250 ($450?) in the reptile place they'll be more than happy to help me out if I need it.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:34 AM   #16
jerichoharris
Apologies for the bits that don't make sense but apparently I'm not allowed to edit my posts.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:49 AM   #17
hhmoore
No problem - it was simple enough to understand

Old 03-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #18
hhmoore
over 150 views and only 5 voters

How pathetic is that? C'mon, you're in the privacy of your own home (or at work)...this is your moment to make yourself heard. . A couple of brave souls even managed to make a few posts. How about a few more, now.
What's YOUR story?

Old 03-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
tandy4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
... One of the concerns I mentioned to other forum moderators was that we might foster the impression of a group of "good ol' boys" that, for any number of reasons, may not seem open to new comers.
I love fauna, but I do seem to get the feeling that there is kinda a group of "good ol' boys". Everyone in the "group" is really great, but I feel like I'm a real newbie compared to them and sometimes i'm just not very inclined to post because I'm not as experienced. I also feel bad that I haven't made any contributions to this site (I'm just tight on money now, I'll be paying by june). I really like the idea of the Fauna Mentor Program brought up by lucille.

One more thing, I think this poll should get moved out of the pythons discussion forum and put somewhere where more people will see it.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 PM   #20
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandy4000
One more thing, I think this poll should get moved out of the pythons discussion forum and put somewhere where more people will see it.
That is a valid point - especially since the content is not specific to this forum. (Admittedly, I was planning on starting an appropriate thread here, changed my mind about the content, deleted what I had started, and just continued without considering forum placement). If Rich, or one of the other mods, wants to move it, I certainly have no objections...I started to just move it to the Feedback Forum, then had second thoughts about placement (how many lurkers wander through there?)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!