Fussy Skinks? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
johelian
Fussy Skinks?

Heya,
My corucia seem to be very picky about what they will eat. They will eat fruits, mashed sweet potato, peas, sweetcorn, squash, carrot, tomato and brocolli, but wont touch collards, radicchio, escarole, frisee, watercress, green beans - basically, the good greens. I only tend to feed a couple of kinds of veg and maybe one fruit every meal with about 60% greens, but guaranteed the greens will be left and the fruits/veg gone. Ive even tried meals without fruits and one veg and they will still eat the choice pieces and leave the rest. How should I go about converting them to a better diet? I have even steamed the greens and they have been ignored. Any advice?

The other issue with the favored items is that the first one there will inadvertently eat all the junk food, leaving the other with none.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Kisha
A bit like kids, they will eat the candy first. Try feeding them just greens for a while...when they are hungry they will eat them. I only feed the items you mentioned once or twice a week, otherwise they fill up on desert without eating their veggies! I think that the greens should make up the bulk of their diet with the others (fruits, potato and the like) as occasional treats or when trying to put weight on.

Kisha

Old 01-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
johelian
Ah ok, thank you

Old 01-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
K-Ran
I agree with Kisha. Mine will eat the good stuff even if I do not mix it up; however, I would also try chopping the greens very fine and them mixing a small amount with some of their favorites so that it smells good to them. You can start with a small amount of greens and work your way up until they don't notice, just like kids!

Old 01-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
johelian
Thank you for the advice I have noticed that they will eat the good stuff if it is fed by hand, but not if its on the dish. I separate the different kinds of food on the plate as well...any ideas why that might be?

Old 01-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
johelian
An update - the solus greens were ignored for one evening and then had gone the next day. The fatter skink has no willpower, it seems! Thanks for the advice.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!