Woman freed from jaws of python by policeman - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
wcreptiles
Woman freed from jaws of python by policeman

Quote:
By Kevin Murphy

KANSAS CITY, Mo | Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:01am EDT

KANSAS CITY, Mo (Reuters) - A Kansas woman faces a charge of harboring a vicious animal after her pet python grabbed onto her neck and would not let go until a police officer intervened.

Chrystal Wilson of Lyons, Kan., took the eight-foot-long albino snake from its cage for feeding Tuesday when it clasped its jaws on the side of her neck, Police Chief Chris Detmer said Friday. Luckily, the snake has small teeth rather than sharp fangs, he said.

A child in the house called police. Officer Max Bryant forced the jaws of the snake apart with his hands. Bryant will get a citation for bravery from the Lyons City Council, Detmer said.

"There's not too many guys or women who would grab it by the end of the mouth like that," Detmer said. The snake was not wrapped around Wilson but she was reportedly visibly upset because she could not get it off her neck, Detmer said.

Wilson is in her mid 20s and moved to Lyons about a year ago, Detmer said. She was ordered to remove the snake from the home because it poses a risk to children there, he said. She received a misdemeanor citation for harboring the snake.

Neither Wilson nor Bryant could be reached for comment Friday.

(Editing by Greg McCune)
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...73H3K620110418
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
annmikeal
Poor snake

Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
wcreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by annmikeal View Post
Poor snake
I agree, at least they didn't stab it with a knife to get it to release. I think I would have taken a cold shower to effect release.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
rcarichter
So, snakes aren't my area, I've only had a few here and there, but I am obsessed with understanding animal behavior. Is this "latching on for a prolonged time" a common or normal behavior/reaction from this species? Is it a defensive thing, or 'oops this isn't edible but I can't let go'? I get why a venomous snake might do it, but not a python. Just curious. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
annmikeal
Usually its a feeding response. In this case the lady probably smelled like the food item and then picked up the snake and put it around her neck on the way to the feeding bin... that is if she even had a feeding bin. She may have been feeding it in the cage or something too. No one knows but her, but there are plenty of ways to get a snake off of you without having to call the police and if you cant do it yourself... hate to say it, but you shouldnt have the animals to begin with.

That is most people who work with the large constrictors always have someone around before they handle the animal (always good to have a back up)

Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
Is this "latching on for a prolonged time" a common or normal behavior/reaction from this species?
When a boa or burm is in feeding mode, yes (as this one was, she was removing it from it's cage to feed it - Big Mistake!). I had a SFE (stupid feeding error) with my largest boa, had the rat on tongs in one hand, holding the cage door with the other, door slipped, my hand moved to try to catch it and bam, she grabbed my hand (rat smell in the air and she went for the movement). She held me and started wrapping me, didn't let go until I was able to drag her out of the snake room and away from the smell of rats. Some snakes have an incredible feeding response and the large constrictors generally fall into that category.

This whole mess could have been avoided if she had followed the general knowledge rules for large constrictors... don't remove to feed and have someone for backup when handling a large snake.

there's also another thread about this incident in the HELL forum:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=239679

Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
haha Ann we posted at the same time

Old 04-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
annmikeal
Lol... I used to take my 13 foot Burm out and put her in a separate bin when feeding... Biggest rule I learned was never have the food anywhere near the snake while moving! Plus when your taking them out after feeding... sometimes they still want more and will grab you.
But definitely have a back up

Old 04-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
rcarichter
Thanks for the info! Stuff you don't really think about with geckos and tortoises!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Lucille
Kudos to Max Bryant, I think LEOs sometimes deal with a lot that they never thought would be part of their job description.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!