woman in NY dead from Mamba Bite - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #41
Morelia4life
Sorry, it is supposed to be no part of not know part of.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #42
Lucille
I'm interested in learning more about different kinds of venoms, antivenin, and so on. Is there a good modern reference either in book form or online?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #43
Pmsayi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
I'm interested in learning more about different kinds of venoms, antivenin, and so on. Is there a good modern reference either in book form or online?
Snake Venom Poisoning
by: Findlay E. Russel
Scholium Intn. 1981

Snake Venoms and Envenomations
By: Jean phillipe Chippaux
Krieger publishing 2006

Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #44
Lucille
Thank you for the refs! I'm also interested in hospital and antivenin costs and protocols for snake bites.
No, I'm not getting a mamba , I sketched out a story idea yesterday.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #45
Pmsayi
Quote:
And Japan coexisted with its nuclear reactors peacefully for a long time. Good planning is everything; hoping for the best may turn out to be less satisfactory.
Apples to Oranges

Without going into the whole story that he told the class (the part about the snakes was very brief and only about 5 minutes (with questions) of a 45 minute lecture), they where in an area where medical treatment for a bite was not a realistic option. The people who lived there had coexisted with them for years with relatively few incidents. My prof. said that according to the locals the few incidents that did occur happened when someone tried to kill, remove, catch, or otherwise molest the snakes.

Mambas are not as aggressive as most people think. Like any other snake their first coarse of action is to escape. It is only if they are molested further or feel trapped that they take an aggressive stance. His story was very similar to other accounts I have read about Mambas in the wild ignoring humans. The problem with mambas is the potency of the venom coupled with the viciousness of the attack should they decide to go that route.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #46
Pmsayi
Quote:
Thank you for the refs! I'm also interested in hospital and antivenin costs and protocols for snake bites.
No, I'm not getting a mamba , I sketched out a story idea yesterday.
Hospital costs can run as much as $20,000.00 per day hospitalized. You can find this out by calling your hospital and asking what the average cost per day to treat a snake envenomation runs.

It varies depending on the species. Current cost of Black Mamba anti-venom is $500 per gram. Copperhead anti-venom is $75.00 per gram Timber rattlesnake anti-venom is $150.00 per gram Indian cobra anti-venom is $150.00 per gram. Gila monster anti-venom is $600.00 per gram.

The amount necessary for treatment depends on several factors including severity of the bite, weight of the patient, medical health of the patient, age, and so on. These decisions are obviously best left to a medical professional. If you opt to keep hots you should be in contact with emergency room doctors and they can help determine how much anti-venom you should have on hand. It is also necessary that you are tested for sensitivity to anti-venom as the serum can kill you if you are allergic to it.

Basic first aid is to apply a pressure bandage to the afflicted limb, keep it below the heart, and seek medical attention immediately. If the snake can not be returned to its enclosure quickly and safely kill the snake. There are quite a few protocols that need to be in place when working with hots and there are a few good publications (some in print and some you need to know people to get) and anyone interested should obtain a copy before taking the next step. Mentoring with an experienced keeper should also be considered mandatory.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #47
Lucille
Michael, I appreciate the depth of your info, thank you.
As far as coexistence, honey if there was a mamba in MY roof there is NO WAY I'd go into my house. I'd have to call SnakeBusters for sure

Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #48
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
here's the drugstore.com pricing on CroFab;
http://www.drugstore.com/crofab/-sol...lff4PBnWRbRBKg

Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #49
Lucille
Thanks April. That's a LOT of money right there. I can see why hospitals might not want to carry a whole array of these for different venomous critters.

I wonder if the IRS allows a tax deduction for expired and thus unusable antivenins if they are kept for business related purposes?

Old 06-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #50
Pmsayi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
here's the drugstore.com pricing on CroFab;
http://www.drugstore.com/crofab/-sol...lff4PBnWRbRBKg
Crofab polyvalent (sheep) does not treat mamba envenomation. It is formulated to treat Western and Eastern diamondbacks, Mojave rattlesnakes, and cotton mouths. It has cross reactivity with timber, southern pacific,black tail, canebrake, & dusky pigmy rattlesnakes as well as copperheads. SAIMR polyvalent (horse) is used to treat mamba envenomations.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!