Evolution and venomous snakes: Diet distinguishes look-alikes on two continents - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #21
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanozig View Post
Fact, there is not one example of evolution where one animal turned into another. period.
Although you've otherwise done a fantastic job of showcasing your lack of comprehension, the quote above shows that you don't even grasp the fundamental precepts of evolution.

Here's some reading which may interest you, assuming you have any real interest in understanding that which your beliefs lead you to attack.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/How_com...ill_monkeys%3F

Quote:
Most of the simple but common "arguments" against evolution stem from serious misunderstandings of the science and principles that underlie it. Exploring the confusion behind the question is key to answering it. "Why are there still monkeys?" involves two major errors:

First, the psychological essentialism of folk biology. Research has shown that people (adults and children alike) tend to be "intuitive creationists." The phenomenon of psychological essentialism causes people not to engage in population thinking, but to lump all individual animals of a certain "natural kind" (in this case, monkeys) together as more or less identical. In this misconception of evolution, it is individuals that simultaneously "transform" rather than populations that evolve.[4][5]

Second, the question misinterprets evolution as a linear process: an upward-sloping line, like the old, pre-scientific idea of a "Great Chain of Being". This is a simple way of viewing evolution and changes are easily visualized in a linear fashion — the famous picture of human ancestors walking behind each other is a prime example. However, this traces just one twig of a much more complicated tree of life.

Many people are deeply reluctant to consider the possibility seriously, and treat it as asking "Do you want to be descended from a monkey?". But, of course, science and history are about what reality is and was, not what we would want it to have been.

There is also the related question: "If monkeys changed into humans, why aren't today's monkeys changing into humans?" Many people are under the mistaken idea that:

evolution is finished;
evolution states that one animal only evolves into the next animal — that if we started again, the exact same evolution would happen.
some modern animals are descendants of other modern animals

The reality is that evolution is still happening, even in humans over the past few thousand years.[6] But evolution has a multitude of possible paths, with specific changes depending on the environmental pressures at any particular time. Evolution is not random, but is affected by random factors — the best results of those random factors are what survives.
With that, I'm spent. You've officially taken up much more time than is deserved by one such as yourself.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #22
kanozig
Whats harder to believe? fact or faith? But yet you say you are "open minded" yet you believe "facts" from scientists and have NO faith.... Im not sure what this thread has turned into, either you did not like me trying to quote something, and its over with... or you are wanting to sit here with all your "facts" and intellect and try "preaching" something to a little lost sheep? Book?!? look who is talking... Moby Dick. Here is a fact for you, since you are so full of them yourself.

* There are more than 168,000 Bibles either sold or given away per day in the United States
* The Bible Never Contradicts Itself
There are no contradictions in the Bible. Various people claim to find contradictions but they have to take verses out of context to do so. When looking at the Bible as a whole and understanding its teachings there are no contradictions. This is amazing when one considers that the Bible was written over such a long period of time.

All I am simply asking is someone, or you, give me SCIENTIFIC evidence of one animal that as been proven to have evolved into another completely different animal.

I do not need a book to tell me right from wrong, I learn not just from reading. But with all my senses... Something you may lack. I think you are more into stimulating your senses with tv, electronics, non fictional books, and scientifical "evidence". You probably believe the earth is melting too from global warming...

Ive always thought I could be the richest, smartest man on the planet, but without faith... Surely I would truly amount to NOTHING in the end, I mean. Tell me, what is it we, you and I are living for? Just... waiting for some event to happen? waiting for space brothers? what is your purpose in life? Are you checking the mirror daily for extra limbs? wings? gills? What motivates you? Stupid people like me who are sooooo ignorant and blinded? right? is that your motivation... Any thoughts on the after life? let me guess, we just "shut off" like autonomous robots and turn to dirt. Well sorry, I think we as a species are better than that. I think we were created MUCH better than that.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #23
kanozig
Yea... another link to gibble garble... no real reasoning or completely structured evidence or knowledge coming directly from you... just a wiki link to some backwards nonsense.

a snake is a snake
a horse a horse
a man a man
a pig a pig
a rat a rat

Nothing has changed... just simply adapted throughout time.

When you can find one example on your web searches or wiki, of a proven case, just go ahead and post it up here!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #24
kanozig
I gave two facts about the bible, now here are two of yours from "rationalwiki"

*Humans are not descended from any modern species of monkey; both monkeys and humans are descended from some long-extinct ancestor pre-dating both. Although this species, if it were transferred to today, would be considered a "monkey", it is not any living species of monkey.

*Evolution explains how humans developed from a primate ancestor, but not an extant species of monkey or ape. (Modern primates include: bonobos, chimpanzees, gorillas, baboons, macaques, lemurs, gibbons, and humans. None of these is a descendant of any other.)

GIVE ME A BREAK. I know I am better than this garbage. And you want to tell me I am an idiot?

Keep thinking you came from some kind of "monkey, that really wasn't a monkey, but if people saw it today, they would say it was a monkey"

You can keep all that non sense.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #25
kanozig
We are nation and world governed by laws.... some from fellow humans and some that are divine. The first laws were commanded by God, or "gods" or god kings, men that think they are god, or god-like..... (I am sure you would like to argue that)

IF I truly believed I evolved from a monkey that wasn't a monkey, but it sure looked like a monkey. IF I did not fear for the afterlife or fear a God, or fear my Government.

Then..... I am pretty sure I would be having uncontrollable sex (Like a bearded dragon!) with any female willing. I am pretty sure I would handle my arguments and disputes with fighting or killing... I am pretttttty sure I would not be working a 9-5, 6 days a week, fighting to pay my bills... yea, I would just take from whoever had more then me.... I am pretty sure society would UNRAVEL as it is in our country because of beliefs like "Evolution and atheism." NO FOUNDATION, NO FAITH.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #26
kanozig
After stepping away from the computer, It all makes perfect sense now and I think I get it...

You came from a spore turd somewhere in the galaxy and your linage has been mutated genetically millions of times over making you come from a long linage of monkeys and monkeys that were not monkeys, but if they "existed" today they may be called monkeys or "monkey people"

and I came from the most highest, purest, loving power in all the known universe who created me and everything in existence through creation.

Yea... and who is the idiot? Time is short my friend. Sitting on the couch and internet all day with bad habitats including eating habitats will catch you a heart attack before you even reach 60. Wanna see whats on the other side? take a gamble. Its your life, its your ETERNITY and its no joking/ laughing matter.

Even if BOTH seem far fetched... Ill bet my money and FAITH on the second option. It gives me more reason to wake up and do good everyday.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #27
Fangthane
Quote:
IF I truly believed I evolved from a monkey that wasn't a monkey, but it sure looked like a monkey. IF I did not fear for the afterlife or fear a God, or fear my Government.

Then..... I am pretty sure I would be having uncontrollable sex (Like a bearded dragon!) with any female willing. I am pretty sure I would handle my arguments and disputes with fighting or killing...
Quote:
Even if BOTH seem far fetched... Ill bet my money and FAITH on the second option. It gives me more reason to wake up and do good everyday.
There you have it, folks, the true genius behind religion. He's not a good person because he wants to be; he simply fears divine (or legal) retribution. While religion (and government) has shown that fear is a powerful motivator, it's also shown that that trust should only go so far. I have much more "faith" in those who are decent for decency's sake; as opposed to one who simply suppresses their baser instincts out of fear of being smitten. For me, cowardice doesn't inspire much confidence.

You're doing nothing more than justifying my low opinion of your mental faculties. Keep on going. Your inability to grasp what's in front of you doesn't do a thing to discredit it. Again, wow... Seriously, though, *unsubscribed*. Go ahead and have your last word. Based on every other one I've read, I won't be missing anything even vaguely insightful or useful.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 AM   #28
kanozig
Thanks, I have said my last words in the posting above and will now exist the stage. Recap:

your claim was: We come from monkeys

and mine was, we come from a divine creator.

You can sit here and say you are a descent person... But when lawlessness, hunger, and basic human instincts kick in... I would like to see what kind of a descent person you really are. Hey. We all fall short of the glory of God. At least I've kept it real and honest, Any sins I have committed past, present or future have been forgiven. With blood.

Good luck with Eternity. It never really ever ends, ever.

Have fun believing you are the descendant of a primate.

"*unsubscribe* *lame*

Old 06-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #29
Lucille
Quote:

your claim was: We come from monkeys

and mine was, we come from a divine creator.
Those are not necessarily mutually exclusive claims. One can believe in the concept of evolution and still believe that the first spark of life in the universe, and the universe itself, was divinely inspired.
I've gone through many stages of wondering, doubting, and at this point feel that my beliefs include the concept of a divine creation.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the after life? let me guess, we just "shut off" like autonomous robots and turn to dirt. Well sorry, I think we as a species are better than that. I think we were created MUCH better than that.
Many people think about what happens after we die. It would be nice if we rejoined our loved ones, I miss my Dad and would welcome an opportunity to talk to him again. I miss some of my cherished critters as well and think that if there is an afterlife they should be there.
I don't miss my exes, if there is an afterlife, I certainly would not want them to be in the area.

For me, the concept of afterlife is neither incentive nor deterrent, I think Dan has a point that we should be decent for decency's sake.

But mostly I think that my energy should be spent in this life, in the ongoing and lifelong struggle to be a better person, and to help the critters and people around me. Just like everyone else, I fall down and get up, and that process is to me part of what it means to be human.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #30
englishaussie
God is like Nylon..... MAN MADE! the internet is a wonderful thing?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!