Tortoise set on fire and stomped to death - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 PM   #11
bcr229
They won't be laughing for much longer.
Florida Teens Wanted for Torturing, Killing Rare Tortoise.htm

Two Florida teenage girls are being investigated after posting a video to Facebook of them torturing and killing a rare tortoise, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).

Videos showed the Orange Park girls dousing the helpless gopher tortoise with a flammable liquid, lighting it on fire and stomping on its shell until it breaks, laughing while they do it.

"Burn baby, burn baby," one of the girls can be heard saying in the video, according to The Palm Beach Post, as the turtle is frantically trying to crawl away. "Now you're scared of us."

When the fire did not kill the tortoise, the girls decide to throw him hard onto the pavement. Still alive, one girl stomps on the tortoise.
"We just (expletive) committed a (expletive) murder on a turtle," one girl says, laughing. "Dead turtle everyone. That's funny."

A slew of complaints followed the video's posting on July 15. By 9:30 this morning, 2,866 outraged people had commented on the post, including some who said the girls were from Clay County in northeastern Florida. Those comments offered the girls' names and addresses.

"Everybody is pretty much sickened by it and can't believe someone would do that to an innocent animal," FWS spokeswoman Karen Parker said, according to The Florida Times-Union.

State wildlife officials are currently considering what punishment to give that fits such a cruel crime.

"We have received multiple complaints about the videos posted to Facebook last evening showing the killing of a small gopher tortoise," the FWC said in a Facebook post. "Our officers are investigating the case and are presently working with the State Attorney's Office to determine what charges may be filed."

Since the video's posting and subsequent protests, one of the girls has removed the video as well as her Facebook page.

Officials said gopher tortoises are a threatened species, and it is against the law to kill, harass or destroy them, their eggs or burrows.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #12
ZooKeeperDoug
Sadly these two wastes of oxygen will likely get off lite as our animal cruelty laws are relatively toothless.

A persons lack of empathy toward animals is a known indicator of potential for psychopathic behavior.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #13
demonss
I've never been one to advocate male on female violence, but I would love to be left in a room with no windows those little c#nts for as long as that video is.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonss View Post
I've never been one to advocate male on female violence, but I would love to be left in a room with no windows those little c#nts for as long as that video is.
I'll bring the flammable liquid.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #15
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonss View Post
Hell I think you should film it and put it on facebook. For your defense in court, just play the video they made and say you were doing the world a favor. I bet you'd get community service, and then since you'd already done it in your video, case dismissed

Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 PM   #16
demonss
Somebody should start a petition to have the sentence to have them both sent up here and locked in a cell with me for 30 minutes.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:11 AM   #17
jusmebabee
Unfortunately with this liberal government we have not much will happen to them.
Counseling and a few weeks in juvenile all and back to their ***** donors.
And you can bet they will have kids.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:28 AM   #18
sakura_noir
I watched the video earlier today and could not believe the cold heartlessness of these two little beyotches. It's a hard thing to stomach and I felt ill watching it. Would have loved to reach through the screen and snag both of them by their throats. They are sociopaths and allowed to continue, I have no doubt they will become serial killers. Poor little tortoise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
markpulawski
Horrendous and I would say both of these girls are major league damaged, some entity needs to look into the homes that would produce these monsters.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
Mister Internet
Not sure which group I find more outrageous... those that could commit such horrible acts upon a helpless tortoise and laugh about it, or those who feel smug moral superiority in detailing how they would commit horrible acts upon those who committed the horrible acts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!