Boy Kills Giant Turtle - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
kmurphy
I'm not going to get into a hunting debate as it really doesn't make any difference to me what you think about it. In Maine there are about 5 deer per square mile (I think I read that somewhere). It's not that easy believe me. With Moose the closer to the road the better. If I could get them to fall into the truck I would. They walk too fast though so it's hard to time just right.

It's just meat that's all. I don't need it necessarily, I just like it. I think the last deer I got cost me about $20 per pound.

Kevin

Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 PM   #12
kmurphy
I was being a little sarcastic with my last reply. However, it is pretty difficult for our industry to throw stones at the hunting crowd. We import hundreds of thousands of animals every year from various countrys. Countless others are taken from within our borders. Virtually all the animals we keep originated from wild caught animals. An animal taken from the wild is just as dead to its' environment as if you shot it. And sometimes shooting it is more merciful.
Don't kid yourself about a snake actually enjoying being in a shoe box or carted around the country every month to a new show. Sure we treat them right but leave cage open and see if they stick around, or come back for dinner.

Kevin

Old 06-30-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
I'm not going to get into a hunting debate as it really doesn't make any difference to me what you think about it. In Maine there are about 5 deer per square mile (I think I read that somewhere). It's not that easy believe me. With Moose the closer to the road the better. If I could get them to fall into the truck I would. They walk too fast though so it's hard to time just right.

It's just meat that's all. I don't need it necessarily, I just like it. I think the last deer I got cost me about $20 per pound.

Kevin

That can be used as an excuse I guess, If society keeps building and destroying land maybe there will be8-10 deer per square mile and then then can make a festival out it ...they can call it reindeer roundup

I would still prefer to see them ALIVE

this is just my opinion and I am sure its not going to change a thing, so I am sure all you great white hunters have nothing to fear

Old 06-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyman13
And us folks from the south are suppose to be simple minded.

last time i checked snapping turtle soup was still on the menu on more than a few 5 star restaurants. I believe i all so seen it sold in the can food section at the grocery store. I believe Wolfgang Puck even has hid own brand of snapping turtle soup sold in the can. Of course my preferred method of cooking up some would be cubed on a kabob, and my preferred method of catching one would be with a fishing pole and a hook with maybe some nightcrawlers or a piece of chicken liver.

This wasn't someone's pet turtle it was wild game taken for its meat. No different than any other wild game hunted for consumption. It didn't go to waste. Wasn't left to rot in the pond. It was taken home clean, prepared, and eaten.

Just because its on the menu, that makes it right ?

And it seems that he shot that turtle just because it was there, if he was hunting snakes to protect his grandmother, how much harm could that turtle do? Theres more danger of wild dogs here in there woods than any WILD animal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyman13
This wasn't someone's pet turtle it was wild game taken for its meat. No different than any other wild game hunted for consumption. It didn't go to waste. Wasn't left to rot in the pond. It was taken home clean, prepared, and eaten.
Sorry , but to me THAT WAS A WASTE

Theres not enough food in the grocery store ?

I said it once before, but I will mention it again ...this is just MY opinion.
If you feel like you cant use the banner because I created it ...so be it.
you can handle killing animals but cant handle my opinion.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:06 AM   #15
Jadormdrache
ya know if everyone hunted their own meat how much would be wasted? grocery stores throw meat out all the time, and the fact that most of that meat comes from animals(cows, pigs) that destroy the natural habitats using a grocery store as a reason not to hunt and to protect the wild life seems like a bad idea.
how many acres of land per year are used for farming cattle?
how much land is destroyed by pigs?
how much pollution do pigs cause?
lets say we all started hunting and let all that farm land go back to nature and turned them into nature preserves would we be better or worse off?

Old 07-01-2006, 01:19 AM   #16
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadormdrache
ya know if everyone hunted their own meat how much would be wasted? grocery stores throw meat out all the time, and the fact that most of that meat comes from animals(cows, pigs) that destroy the natural habitats using a grocery store as a reason not to hunt and to protect the wild life seems like a bad idea.
how many acres of land per year are used for farming cattle?
how much land is destroyed by pigs?
how much pollution do pigs cause?
lets say we all started hunting and let all that farm land go back to nature and turned them into nature preserves would we be better or worse off?

If everyone hunted their own meat ...how long would it be before they would have to get it at the grocery store any way ?
When theres no more animals left to hunt and kill ....what will you kill then ?
I'd rather see some land used for farming then used to build houses and strip malls. Farm land is still better then a cement parking lot.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:01 AM   #17
Jadormdrache
what im saying is that in the grand scheme of things grocery stores are alot worse for the natural environment than any hunter. farming is good and all if you re growing vegetables and stuff but after the pigs are done with land it is virtually unusable,they cause erosion( which causes desertification) because they eat all the plant matter from the roots, they compact the soil because of the shape of their foot, and they produce so much waste the ground cannot sustain it. I never said I wanted more strip malls where farms are either and btw grocery stores have HUGE parking lots. Also with conservation and a little bit of a change in eating habits( you don't need to eat meat everyday, in fact you shouldn't) there should be plenty of wildlife around more, if like I said you turn those farms into conservation areas if thats even possible after the damage the animals do to the land.
I'm not saying supermarkets are a bad thing, but I'm deffinently saying they are not a good thing when it comes to the environment and therefore should not be used as a measure to save the environment or the wildlife that lives in it.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:01 AM   #18
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps
If you feel like you cant use the banner because I created it ...so be it.
you can handle killing animals but cant handle my opinion.
Ok, I was following this pretty well until here. What’s that all about?

Old 07-01-2006, 02:52 AM   #19
sfaoldguy
As an educated hunter, I understand the important role that controlled hunting of certain species can be very beneficial to the species itself... Wildlife that is not kept in check with hunting can lead to an overpopulation that will result in devastating drops in average population when long dry spells or freezes hit...

It is natural for nature lovers, including myself, to initially react negatively, but we have to look at the facts...

This species is not endangered in the state of North Carolina as far as I know from a quick search on it... North Carolina also seems to have an impressive wildlife commission to monitor native wildlife which has not placed this species on any list of concern... From this, we can conclude that its population is healthy and can sustain moderate hunting...

As for the snake hunting, I very seldom agree with it... The fact that he went snake hunting does not mean that this kid is deranged... It means that he is uneducated on the importance of these reptiles and avenues of having venomous snakes relocated... If no public service is offered to relocate poisonous snakes, I do understand killing the reptiles in areas where humans could be bit... If snakes were not killed in mass numbers every day on roads or by most people that come across them, I may feel more inclined to support an occasional snake hunt within a healthy population...

Doubt this is going to change any views but it's my opinion based on some facts...

Old 07-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #20
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
Ok, I was following this pretty well until here. What’s that all about?

I created banners some time ago for people who wanted to use them on their sites to help bring traffic to Fauna. cowboy13 had used one on his site.
After I posted my opinion on this thread about the hunting issue he sent me a private message telling me he removed the banner from his site because I made it, and that he didint want to be associated me in any way because of my views on hunting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!