Can someone inform on VRP's in Florida? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #1
LampropeltisCollector
Can someone inform on VRP's in Florida?

I know im too young to have one, but I want to know so when the time comes i can get one. the venomous snake i find the most is dusky pygmy rattler, even was bit august 2010. But all i want to know is how and when can i get one. Thanks everyone!

Old 01-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Tim Cole
Jordan,
There are several requirements to be met to obtain this permit.

Having a separate room and locked cages being one of them.

You are also required to have 1000 hours of documented experience working with venomous snakes. In most cases they would prefer this to be with a permitted person or institution.

Since you are 16 I doubt you will be able to get this experience until you are 18.

Find someone in your area that can mentor you. This is one of the best ways to gain experience from a responsible keeper.

By the way, getting bit IS NOT a badge of honor.

Check and see if there is a local Herp Society that you can get involved with.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
annmikeal
Since your in Spring Hill, you might want to contact Glades Herp or Diamond Reptile Breeders and see if they have any advice on what you need to do to get your permit... Also I agree completely with Tim, you shouldnt be proud of getting bit

Old 02-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
LampropeltisCollector
lol im not proud of getting bit, i was just saying I have been bit thats all.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampropeltisCollector View Post
lol im not proud of getting bit, i was just saying I have been bit thats all.
When asking info on how to how to acquire a permit to even BEGIN to start working with venomous, and in the same sentence tell us that you have ALREADY been bitten right off the bat, it is not a very good sign or track-record history at ALL as far as you being very safety-minded and responsible around dangerous snakes.

That's like if a cop pulled you over for a DUI and also found 10 pounds of pot in your trunk, and you tell him.....oh, heck no DUDE!, I only SMOKE IT and drink while I drive!, I would NEVER sell the stuff!..LMAO!!

~Doug

Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
AcidRainbow
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to go with Doug here, also, if you managed to get bitten by a Sistrurus ssp., you probably shouldn't even intentionally be around venomous snakes in the wild, much less keeping them in captivity.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Pythonbreeder99
Advertising envenomations or even bites from a non-pemit holder while intentionally handling a hot is the perfect way to illegalize these animals EVERYWHERE. I suggest you delete this thread if you can or at least edit out saying you were bitten.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonbreeder99 View Post
Advertising envenomations or even bites from a non-pemit holder while intentionally handling a hot is the perfect way to illegalize these animals EVERYWHERE. I suggest you delete this thread if you can or at least edit out saying you were bitten.
Huh? They're going to illegalize venomous snakes "EVERYWHERE" because some kid with an interest in these snakes picked up a wild pygmy [in the field] and was bitten, then later publicly noted he was interested in an FL venomous permit in the future? It's also so critical that he must conceal this information before the legislators start taking note and picking up their pens?

......ooookay then...

Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Pythonbreeder99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRainbow View Post
Huh? They're going to illegalize venomous snakes "EVERYWHERE" because some kid with an interest in these snakes picked up a wild pygmy [in the field] and was bitten, then later publicly noted he was interested in an FL venomous permit in the future? It's also so critical that he must conceal this information before the legislators start taking note and picking up their pens?

......ooookay then...
Not sure if you've noticed but people who are activly trying to make them illegal are looking for anything to help their case...
I wouldn't put it past them to search a public forum for some help.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonbreeder99 View Post
Not sure if you've noticed but people who are activly trying to make them illegal are looking for anything to help their case...
I wouldn't put it past them to search a public forum for some help.
I understand that, but this isn't going to do it. It was an animal in the wild and it appears that the OP wasn't terribly afflicted from it. Later man...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!