Interested in Snake Sheds - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
Snakesheds
Interested in Snake Sheds

Hello Fellow Snake Lover,
My name is Robert Shields and I am a Wildlife Biologist in California. I specialize in Herpetology & Ornithology. On several recent reptile surveys in the high plain territories of California, we’ve found snake sheds that belonged to protected species. On one occasion, we only found sheds and no live animals. Since we were able to positively identify the species by the shed we were able to determine presence of the species in that area. Many Biologists who do not specialize in Herpetology would probably have not ID the sheds and missed determining species presence. This would have been a missed opportunity to protect the habitat and individuals of that population.
With this in mind, I’ve embarked on an adventure to create an APP with a dichotomous key for the identification of snake sheds of US & Canada. I will also include many of the species involved in the pet trade. The other group I will include are venomous snakes from around the world, since a growing number are imported into our country for the pet trade, museum specimens and research.
This is where you can come in to help. I am in need of sheds of all North American species and subspecies. I also would like sheds of the non-native snakes. If one of your animals sheds a complete or almost complete shed, just place it in a zip-loc bag and write the species name and origin on the bag with a Sharpie pen. If you get several sheds of the same species, but different specimens, include those also.
North American Native Species:
-Write on zip-loc bag the species, original county of collection (if known) & state of origin
-approximate size of specimen, and if known, gender
- Write your name
Non-native Species both non-venomous and venomous:
-Write on zip-loc bag the species & country of origin
-approximate size of specimen, and if known, gender
- Write your name
If you are a business, museum, non-profit center, Herp society or other, I will be including a link to your website(if you approve) under every species that you send me complete shed from. Individuals who send sheds will be acknowledged under every species that they provide (If that person approves).
Once you get a collection of sheds or just the species that you have, contact me and I will work out postage to deliver the sheds to me.
I sincerely hope you will help in this adventure of mine!! If you have any questions, write me at snakesheds@gmail.com
Cheers,
Robert Shields
Wildlife Biologist

Old 12-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
snowgyre
Hi Robert,

I'm a postdoctoral research associate in wildlife ecology and management at the University of Georgia. I highly suggest contacting Dr. John Maerz (jcmaerz AT uga DOT edu), the herpetologist at the Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources. He could get you in touch with the UGA herpetological society, who I'm sure would be more than happy to help you out.

Most universities (as I'm sure you know) have attached herpetological societies. I know Cornell University also has one, so you may want to contact them as well.

Are you interested in particular families? I presume sample size is paramount here so are you more interested in focusing on just a few species in a relatively small family (e.g. North American viperidae), or are you just trying to get what you can right now and work from there? Having a directed effort may be more effective so you don't get bogged down with thousands of captive bred ball python, corn snake, etc. sheds.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
if you haven't already, I highly suggest you contact our local reptile socieites as well for help!

bay area amphibian and reptile society:
http://www.baars.org/

central valley herp society (lots of field herps in this club)
http://www.cvherpforums.org/

Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Snakesheds
Hi April,
I think we have been at different meetings at BAARS, I've been going there off and on for 5 years. I haven't been over to the central valley group yet, I'm hoping to go in January. Have you been to the central valley meeting yet?

Cheers,

Robert

Old 12-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Yes, I've been to quite a few CVHS meetings, the next one is this Saturday. They meet at the Bass Pro Shop in Manteca, it's a great group of people and there's usually 50+ that show up.

I have some non-native species sheds I could keep for you from my personal collection if it's useful. I actually haven't been to a BAARS meeting in about 10 years, but I remember it was a great group and they did some wonderful outreach programs.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Snakesheds
My friend Wolfgang is giving his "giant snake" talk, you will enjoy it. What species are you keeping?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
oh yes I am very much looking forward to his presentation!
I'll send you a PM

Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
drjrose
Sheds Study

Would you want digital images of the snake of origin where possible? Participants can email/photobucket/etc. pictures to you with file names and dates noted on the bag(s) containing a single shed.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
Beardiefreak26
what species is on your profile pic drjrose

Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 AM   #10
Snakesheds
It looks like a Leptotyphlops dulcis

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!