New to Venomous - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
A3reptiles.com
Exclamation New to Venomous

I am considering getting into venomous snakes. I have been keeping/breeding boas and pythons for years and would like to branch out a little, even if it just for my collection and not part of my breeding programs. I would like to learn as much as possible about the species that I have been looking at (Eastern Diamondbacks, W.A. Gaboons, Copperheads). I have read books and seen stuff on tv but I would like some info more on keeping/breeding them successfully. Also maybe some tips from those of you who already have a lot of experience with these awesome creatures.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
Gregg M
You should realy gain experiance with other smaller less toxic vipers before jumping into keeping gaboons and EDB...... Stick with the coppers for now...... I have been keeping and breeding gaboons for quite a few years..... I can tell you they are not a beginer species..... They are not easy to take care of and they need lots of attention...... Take a look at my web site..... There is a care sheet I wrote on there that tells you everything from husbandry to venom composition..... www.bitisgabonica.com

Old 06-16-2004, 07:08 PM   #3
snakegetters
http://www.snakegetters.com/demo/training.html

Before you buy any venomous snake, you need to be able to go hands-on with a variety of aggressive nonvenomous species. You should be competent at doing your own basic first aid type care, and you should line up a veterinarian who will see the animal if it becomes ill, or at least prescribe drugs and do fecals without seeing the animal.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
A3reptiles.com
I have had many years dealing with aggressive, non-venomous snakes, including A. Rock pythons, Burms, Retics, and many aggressive Boas. As for the Vet, I have a vet that I use that specializes in reptile care, he was the head reptile vet at the L.Park Zoo in Chicago for many years. I have hooks, tongs and tubes. Is there anything other advice you can give? I have talked to Mike Jolliff about the species (Gaboons and E. Diamondbacks) he said that they were good choices for first timers, does anyone dissagree?

Thanks for the help

Old 06-17-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
Gregg M
I have met Jollif a a show and it suprises me that he would give you that type of advice..... Gaboons and EDBs are far from good starter hots...... Gaboons especialy because there is no warning before a strike and they are fast and can hit you from alot further than you think...... You should also know that you should stock your own AV because normal hospitals DO NOT stock SAIMR...... There is alot of work involved in keeping gaboons...... Again, gaboons and EDBs are not good for the first time hot keeper...... I am sure alot of people can agree.......

Old 06-17-2004, 09:09 AM   #6
A3reptiles.com
I am sure his advice was based on info that I gave him; 'experienced breeder, etc...

Do you have any suggestions?

Reguardless what I start with I will get a Gaboon eventually, I have wanted one since I was 12 and a local feed store had one on display (along with a few other hots). I think the are one of the best looking snakes out there, boas and pythons included

Old 06-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #7
Mustangrde1
Despite what any person may give you based on information you provide first thing is YOU have to be comfortable with your choice. If your asking for help and advice then its not time for those species.

I say this not to be rude or keep you from ever purchasing one. It is something that a person has to be honest inside with themselves about. Easterns and Gaboons are certainly not two hots i would ever say are good first hots. I have worked with both and even with easterns they do not always warn before a strike.

My best advice is locate people who have the species you wish to own. Work with these people for a few months or longer and learn first hand about them. It is a simple safety measure for yourself and the snakes health and well being.

We have a life time to keep the animals we love. So why not take a few months of that life to learn about them hands on for ours and theirs quality of life.

Both Gregg and Taniths sites are great places to read info on them i deffinately suggest both sites to all.

Old 06-27-2004, 09:55 PM   #8
Mustangrde1
One thing I forgot to mention Be sure to BUY CBB to provent the many medical problems associated with WC imports VERY PREVELANT WITH Gaboons.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
robin d.
not to criticize your esxperience but as far as agressive and non venbomous i would egt a asian rat, racer, gonyosora... aomething like that. they are quick intelegent and mean as spit most of the time.
work with those as if they were HOT.
as mustan said find someone in your area whom keeps them and has experience, as a mentor. tantiths and greegs sites are great read those... you also might want to visit www.venomousreptiles.org as well .

we currently keep two copperheads i used to help care for them until i lost alot of my site, now i only care for my lizards and the small boas and pythons and the asian rats (but i wear protective glasses for them, as nastey as they are dont want em biting my eye and causing any more problems).. my husband cares for the two coppers and the large boas.
it took us several years, a good mentor and alot of thinking before we decided on these guys. even though normally they are not potentially fatal they get treated as they are. we have a first aid kit, tongs,hooks tubes and an epipen on hand at all times as well as lists of numbers to the hospital, primary care physician and some keepers and all allergies (if any) my husband is allergic to. i am also trained in basic first aid and before we got our copper had to know how to give first aid for a bite from a hot.
you cant just jump into it you need to think about and have everything ready, "just in case"

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...threadid=42770

i think you might be interested in reading this post, it is honestly written from someone whom has kept hots and i coomend his honesty and believe it is a good read, before purchasing that first hot.

Old 06-27-2004, 10:45 PM   #10
robin d.
sorry for all the spelling errors my eyes arent feeling well and neither am i... blah

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!