"No posts in this forum"? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Cat_72
"No posts in this forum"?

Often, I will take a quick peek around on here without logging in, only because I know I won't have time to go through all of the new posts at that time, and want to be able to click on the "new posts" when I can come back with more time to read through them all.

Anyway, the last few days, I've been seeing the BOI restricted unless I am logged in (says "no posts in this forum") which I can understand I suppose......but now the majority of the forums look to be that way.

Haven't seen any other discussion of this......what's up?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
hhmoore
I can't offer explanations - but I have noticed it, periodically, as well. It isn't necessarily a new thing, and I believe that for a few of the instances it was because Rich was playing with settings.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
Did that to me the other day actually. I had to log in to see a reply to a post from work.
so i noticed it too

Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Cat_72
It's still looking that way, both from home and work. The only area that shows as having any posts at all are some of the areas under "Reptile and Amphibian Business Forums".

If we're worried about membership, or activity here.....well, if I were new to the place, I'd come in, look around, and say, "Wow, this place is dead....only a few areas that even have any posts!" and click on to somewhere that looks livelier.

Just my thoughts....perhaps there's a good reason for it that I'm not aware of, but it seems kind of odd to me.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
WebSlave
Just doing some experimenting. I wanted to see what would happen to the stats if I shut down access to most of the forums for unregistered/un-logged in members. Registration increased dramatically, but revenue from the Goodle ads dropped substantially. Oddly enough, it seems that unregistered visitors are the ones who do most of the clicking on the Google ads, which I found interesting. Hadn't expected that would be the case.

So this was GOOD for registrations, but BAD for site revenue income.

Here's a graph of new registrations since the first of the year, so you can see pretty graphically how this experiment went from that perspective....
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Registration increased dramatically, but revenue from the Goodle ads dropped substantially. Oddly enough, it seems that unregistered visitors are the ones who do most of the clicking on the Google ads, which I found interesting.
For what it is worth, Rich, I never even see the google ads unless I am not logged in...that might be part of the explanation (at least if it is the same for other members).

Old 01-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
For what it is worth, Rich, I never even see the google ads unless I am not logged in...that might be part of the explanation (at least if it is the same for other members).
I thank firefox for that on my end. I dont see any of the ads, thankfully. Too much clutter.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
I thank firefox for that on my end. I dont see any of the ads, thankfully. Too much clutter.
Even if you visit the site while you are logged off?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Maybe so, but they help pay the bills. Without the ads, there likely wouldn't be a site here.........

Getting this site's software upgraded with the mods alone is probably going to cost me a couple of grand....

Old 01-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Maybe so, but they help pay the bills. Without the ads, there likely wouldn't be a site here.........

Getting this site's software upgraded with the mods alone is probably going to cost me a couple of grand....
lol yeah, its fine that you have them. I understand the need for them completely.
one of the reasons why i pay, is so that i also dont have to feel so bad about not giving a care if i never see them. I never click them anyway, and if i do, its rare.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!