Uromastyx care help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #1
Britsterr_87
Uromastyx care help

Hello! I'm getting a Uromastyx lizard sometime next week and I've researched practically every web page I could find to take the best care of him. I've heard many different opinions on lighting, enclosure requirements, and substrate preferences and I'd really appreciate any input. I've heard of people using millet and play sand as a substrate, however I've also heard that both of those options could cause complications if ingested. If you could give me any insight it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks! (He's about 6 years old if that makes a difference)

Old 12-23-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
jam2662
Good morning Britni, I've got 16 uros and have been keeping them since 1991,and with adults I use play sand, The risk of impaction is much higher with seeds, millet, walnut shell, ground corncob, etc. Just give them freshly washed greens everyday so they can get enough fluids. Try to keep their food from getting into the sand. For smaller uros I'd use newspaper, or paper towels. I've used organic top/potting soil and rough textured tile before, when I used tile, I gave them a dig box with sand/soil mix in it. Good luck! If I can help you you can email me jam2662@gmail.com.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #3
Britsterr_87
Thank you so much for your help, I'll definitely email you if I need anything further.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
jam2662
Hi Britni, did you get your Uromastyx? How are things going?
Jeff Mayo

Old 12-26-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
Britsterr_87
I did get him! He was obviously a little scared the first day in a new home but so far everything's going great! He loves his enclosure, and he's settling in nicely. Thank you again for all your help

Old 12-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Britsterr_87
Well today marks 3 days with him. The first day was pretty good he basked and ate his greens and veggies. And now today he hasn't eaten at all. I gave him hi dinner around 1:00pm yesterday and he hasn't touched it. He's been in his hide for the entire day, hasn't come out to bask at all. I'm now extremely worried about him. I'm not sure what to do. I feel like he's not getting proper heat being under his hide for a whole day, and without any food in his system.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
hupababy_83
Britni, would you mind giving some more details about the set up, temps, etc? I think it would be able to help others with helping you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!