Enthusiastic newbie - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Maika
Enthusiastic newbie

Hi, I'm looking into getting a new family pet and am currently doing research about the right choice for us. It looks like a gecko or newt would be a good choice. I'm certainly open to suggestions and ideas. I want to know as much as I can before we start. I'm also looking for reputable captive breeders, it would be great if I could find someone near me so I could visit them and check out their system and pick out our pet, although that may not be a possibility. I'm looking forward to exploring the forums and thank you for your help in advance.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maika View Post
Hi, I'm looking into getting a new family pet and am currently doing research about the right choice for us.
What are you looking for in the family pet?

Quote:
It looks like a gecko or newt would be a good choice.
Those are both very broad and very different genus's. Do you have any idea which species in each genus you are most interested in?

Quote:
I'm certainly open to suggestions and ideas.
We would be glad to give you suggestions. I feel we might need to know more about what your looking for in your pet.

Quote:
I want to know as much as I can before we start.
That is great. It's always beneficial, to do as much research as possible, before, you get your newest addition.

Quote:
I'm also looking for reputable captive breeders,
It is fantastic you want to get either species that is captive bred. That should ensure you get a healthier one. Plus, one that is more accustomed to captive conditions.

Quote:
it would be great if I could find someone near me so I could visit them and check out their system and pick out our pet,although that may not be a possibility.
That would be great, if, you could find someone local. But, if you can't, any knowledgeable breeder would/should be willing to explain the care requirements for whatever species you pick.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to exploring the forums and thank you for your help in advance.
Hope you enjoy exploring this wonderful forum. We are all happy to help.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
elena
I think that "family pet" involves handling the animal, in which case a gecko is a much better choice than any amphibian, which would have sensitive skin that could be damaged by too much handling. Of the various geckos I've bred, my top 4 for handling would be African fat-tailed gecko, leopard gecko, crested gecko, gargoyle gecko.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Maika
Hi Dyscophus antongilii, Thank you for the detailed reply. After my initial research, I think the gecko is the better choice between the two. I want to make sure I can meet their physical requirements without too much work. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Metastatic Cancer. I'm to the point in my treatment where I'm relatively sure I'm going to survive for a while, at least as long as a gecko. Certainly, other family members will and will continue to care for the animal, even if I can't. I'd like to find an animal who is relatively docile and tolerates some handling well, or perhaps enjoys it. We're warm at least which should be pleasant enough when handling the pet. Also, it would be enjoyable to watch the pet interact with it's environment, eat, and generally being cute. An animal that is reasonably easy to feed is also good. I'm looking for a pet we can all safely interact with. I also need a pet with a minimal impact on the house, for my landlord. I think the gecko fits the bill quite nicely. I'm just not sure which breed is the right choice. I think crested gecko, a Chahuoa, Leopard, or Gargoyle type but am totally open to feedback on these or other options. I'm tempted to get more than one, but I also want to stick to a smaller enclosure as I want to make sure I can handle it on my own if I need to. My son has been bugging me for a pet, but he's twelve and I don't know if he'll follow through on care.

I do have a suppressed immune system sometimes. I've been thinking about how this effects the choice in pet. I don't want to give them up just after getting them. I have given it some thought and I think proper hand washing when handling or dealing with enclosure and wearing gloves when cleaning the cage should address those issues. Life comes with some risk and I'd rather take some protected risk than be too careful and feel dead inside. If you know what I mean.

Other things I've been looking into are a bioactive habitat and live plants. Any advice or recommendations on best practices, types of plants, a humidifier etc. Is most welcome.

Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Maika
Thank you, Elena! Any advice on where to buy one?

Old 05-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
Maika
Oh and recommendations on helpful groups here would be great. Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
elena
I stopped breeding leopard geckos a few years ago, so my knowledge of breeders may not be as current. I remember that Gecko Ranch had some great beginner-level animals for sale. I purchased several animals from them for the retail store I used to work for and I always got healthy animals with good size.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
elena
For crested and gargoyle geckos I recommend Pangaea. Great animals, great customer service.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #9
elena
If easy to feed is an important factor, the gargoyle and crested geckos might be a better choice because they won't need crickets as often, as a large portion of their diet can be a powdered diet that you add water to.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Hi Dyscophus antongilii, Thank you for the detailed reply.
You are very welcome. I am just glad you appreciate it. I am not ever sure how I am received .

Quote:
After my initial research, I think the gecko is the better choice between the two.
I would agree. Though, I really and truly love amphibians.

Quote:
I want to make sure I can meet their physical requirements without too much work. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Metastatic Cancer.
I am very sorry, you have two VERY PAINFUL conditions.

Quote:
II'm to the point in my treatment where I'm relatively sure I'm going to survive for a while, at least as long as a gecko.
I am very glad to "hear" that. On serious note, you have a very positive attitude and a great sense of humor.

Quote:
Certainly, other family members will and will continue to care for the animal, even if I can't.
That is very good.

Quote:
I'd like to find an animal who is relatively docile and tolerates some handling well, or perhaps enjoys it. We're warm at least which should be pleasant enough when handling the pet. Also, it would be enjoyable to watch the pet interact with it's environment, eat, and generally being cute. An animal that is reasonably easy to feed is also good. I'm looking for a pet we can all safely interact with. I also need a pet with a minimal impact on the house, for my landlord. I think the gecko fits the bill quite nicely.
I agree with you. Elena gave you some wonderful choices.

Quote:
I'm just not sure which breed is the right choice. I think crested gecko, a Chahuoa, Leopard, or Gargoyle type but am totally open to feedback on these or other options.
Of the species listed, I would go with the leopard. As long as you don't mind dealing with live prey items. If you didn't want a lot of live prey items, I would say go with the crested.

Quote:
I'm tempted to get more than one, but I also want to stick to a smaller enclosure as I want to make sure I can handle it on my own if I need to.
As a general rule, most reptiles are very happy alone. So, unless, you want to breed, no worries on keeping one. Plus, it will be much easier for you to handle on your own. Like you already said.

Quote:
My son has been bugging me for a pet, but he's twelve and I don't know if he'll follow through on care.
Do you know which species he is most interested in? Can he meet any of the species you and Elena mention in person? That might help the two of you decide.

Quote:
I do have a suppressed immune system sometimes. I've been thinking about how this effects the choice in pet. I don't want to give them up just after getting them.
Have you spoken to a medical professional before getting a pet?

Quote:
I have given it some thought and I think proper hand washing when handling or dealing with enclosure and wearing gloves when cleaning the cage should address those issues.
I would agree. But, I am NOT a medical professional of any kind.

Quote:
Life comes with some risk and I'd rather take some protected risk than be too careful and feel dead inside. If you know what I mean.
Yes I do. PM me for further details.

Quote:
Other things I've been looking into are a bioactive habitat and live plants. Any advice or recommendations on best practices, types of plants, a humidifier etc. Is most welcome.
I could send you some Youtube links, if, you want.

Quote:
Thanks again!
You are very welcome. But, Elena was VERY helpful!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!