Fruit Fly attack! help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
ShannanD25
Fruit Fly attack! help

I call them fruit flies...
Ever summer we battle them. This summer they have found haven in my roach and cricket cage. I am constantly trying to smush them and scoop out any larvae....I keep the crickets and roaches as clean as possible.
But they are taking over and to make it worse when I opened the incubator and one container of eggs I found the larvae eating an egg! I am horrorfied and have no idea what to do!!! I changed out the perilite but the flies are still finding ways in! I found them on a toal of two eggs, however, there is a chance these two eggs are infertile. Do fruit fly larvae eat only decaying material? Any one else have this problem? I have no idea how to get rid of them without hurting my feeders or eggs!
Help!!!!

Old 06-16-2004, 04:37 PM   #2
hill4803
DANG I HATE FRUIT FLIES...

I don't know if the fly paper or pest strips would work. I know they can't handle being cooled down, but you can't do that to the eggs! We used some stuff called "flynap" when I had to deal with the little @#% for a genetics course years ago. Go to one of the fruit fly suppliers & see if they have any stuff to control 'em.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
geckossupreme
ideas

I hate the fruit flies; I used to have fruit flies around my house like two years ago. The only thing I did to solve this problem was: eliminating the fruits which I used to feed my crickets. After I did that, the flies automatically disappear. Now I feed my crickets with Monster Diets (tm) dust and the container of water that the feeders sell for about $10. You need to be careful with these flies because you will never know where this fly was before touching one of your geckos. Please let me know if I help you with something; if not the next time I visit Wal-Mart I will check around to see if I found any product that works without harming any of your geckos.

Sincerely;

Christian

Old 06-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #4
PythonWallace
These might be fungus gnats. Either way I would put fly paper horizontally over the egg containers and incubator, and around your geckos. There is a natural spray you can use that is made from canola oil and a plant extract called pyrethrin that works good, but I don't know how safe it is for the eggs or geckos. I wouldn't use it directly inside any enclosures. It says it is safe to use on fruit and vegetables up to and including the day you harvest and it doesn't have any fumes. Besides that, keep everything extra clean. Good luck.

Old 06-17-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Xelda
I'm not sure about pyrethrin's effect on leos, but it's derived from chrysanthemums. My mom plants chrysanthemum's in the corners of her garden because they work as a natural insecticide. Anyway, it's not harmful for most animals to ingest. I love drinking chrysanthemum tea.

Old 06-17-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
ShannanD25
I scrubbed out the crickets, changed their "laying" boxes (actually succeeding in getting crickets to hatch) and sealed up any food items, and scrubbed down anything I think could attract these gnat things....My fly tape is covered with them. Every summer....
Sigh....at least it isn't roaches....well at least not the ones I actually raise in the house
Thanks to all for your responses!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!