Viewing issues with Linux... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
jenn_jeffery
Viewing issues with Linux...

I'm running Debian, and have a few issues with how pages display since you've swapped layouts. They don't really bother me, I just thought other people MAY be having the same problems. I use Foxfire for a browser...

Attaching two screenshots to show how my page displays...
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
WebSlave
Hmm, if it were me, I would dump the bookmark panel on the display. It takes up far too much screen real estate. Either that, or you should consider a monitor with higher resolution.

Whenever you design a screen layout, you have to make assumptions about the resolution of the monitor it will be displayed on. I tend to shoot towards the high end of capabilities, figuring even with those people still using 800x600 screens, they will eventually upgrade to something better eventually.

Also, it just is not practical for a software developer to verify that their product is 100 percent compatible with every browser on the market. I used to think that way years ago, but have long since given up and just made sure it looked OK in Internet Explorer. Yeah, I am certain there are better browsers out there but as long as the stats still show 85+ percent of the viewers are using it, I can't see any reason to worry overly much about the other 15 percent out there. It would be a classic case of diminishing returns to try to accomodate them.

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #3
DThomas
The reply screen problem is well known. I also use Firefox and have the same issue. The developers at Jellsoft, (makers of VBulletin), are aware of it but don't seem too motivated to fix it.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
WebSlave
Even if Jelsoft were to fix it at this point, unless it would be a simple patch, doing an upgrade to this system (and having all of that custom programming done over again) would be out of the question.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
jenn_jeffery
As I said, it's not a big deal, I just wanted to be sure you were aware of it. Even doing away with the bookmarks panel doesn't work, and I had no idea it was a known problem, as I visit very few boards.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:46 PM   #6
ChuUtena
I'm on a mac, using Safair, and I have those same problems! LoL, I just thought I was crazy. It isn't a really big deal and I just ignore it, but good to know the layout isn't supposed to look this, um, poorly designed?

Old 12-12-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
ChuUtena
Red face

Oh, and my resoultion is 1024 X 768.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
WebSlave
There is no such thing as a "universal standard", I guess. Matter of fact, the color scheme here looks completely different on my new LCD flatscreen monitor then it did on my old tube monitor. So should I change it? Maybe. I don't really like the colors I see here now.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #9
jenn_jeffery
My res. is 1024 X 768 as well, as for changing the colors, I wouldn't bother, they're going to be different from machine to machine anyway. Heck, just in the last upgrade I did, some of the colors changed here (this was before your upgrade).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!