Red Tail Boa Help? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
abbccjns
Red Tail Boa Help?

I've been looking at the idea of getting a Columbian Red Tail Boa (MALE) and recently came across someone in my state that needs to rehome theirs. I was wondering though, what size are your adult males or adults males you have seen? My only concern is that if mine gets to large I'd have to feed it rabbits, which i don't really have the access to where I live besides not wanting to do. I'd like my snake to be around 6-7.5 feet and 8 the largest, which is why I'm definitely wanting a male since I want a smaller one. Does anyone have pictures and weights/lengths of their adult males?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Muscle Morph Constrictors
A 6' to 8' male is almost unheard of. Well not unheard of, but not something you see every day. My breeder males are all under 6' and average around 4 1/2' and they're eating medium rats every 14-21 days. In my opinion rabbits will never be a concern especially for a male, so you should have nothing to worry about. If you did what a larger male 6' plus take a look at pure BCC's (Suriname, Peruvian, Guyanan, Northern Brazilian) as they tend to get larger than BCI's (Colombian, Cenral American, Island locals, etc.)

Good luck in your search! Please just do your research before picking one up.
(housing, temps, feeding, temperaments, etc.) vary from locality to locality.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
abbccjns
Thank you! That is what I figured, but wanted to be sure before taking the snake in. Apparently this one is 5.5 feet and about 3.5 years old. The owner said that he got him around 1.5 years old from a friend who didn't feed him often, so he isn't sure he will be that large anyway, which sounds fine to me. I figured that males wouldn't get too large, but every caresheet and many people online seem to exaggerate just how large the males (well and females) can get. This snake that I am looking at needs to be rehomed by wednesday since the owner is moving out of state, so I definitely will be taking him now!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
hhmoore
Large males are not impossible, I have seen a few that were definitely 9 footers. Most of those were before the current views on feeding took hold; though one of them had never been fed more often than 2x/month, or more than one item per feeding...and he still got huge.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #5
abbccjns
I have a feeling this one won't get too large, either way he is coming with a large tank that will last his whole life and apparently is most likely not going to be too large due to barely being fed the first year of his life. :/ I wouldn't mind a 9 foot male, just as long as he doesn't need to eat rabbits is all I really care about lol.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
(2) XXL/XXXL frozen/thawed rats every 14-21 ( maybe even every 30 days for a good part of the year ) would be more than enough for any 8' plus adult boa. I would feed my breeder Burmese females (1) large rabbit ( or 3 XXX F/T Rats ) every 21-30 days all year long ( except when they were gravid ) with out issue. The rat(s) "satisfied" the big girls just as the rabbits would have.

Point being you could have a massive, 9' Suriname male that would do perfectly fine on big frozen thawed rats ever 3-4 weeks.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
abbccjns
Also, I was wondering what size Rats I should be feeding a 5.5 foot Male Columbian Red Tail Boa? (large, extra large, double extra large, or triple extra large)

Old 05-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
abbccjns
Apparently he is being fed one of the XL ones, but not really sure which size exactly. Also he is being fed like (one rat) once every 2 weeks, is this a good amount?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Depending on his girth that sounds fine. All of my males (2 years and older) are fed an appropriate sized meal every 2-4 weeks depending on size and time of year.

For a healthy, 5' male (pet) boa 1 rat every 14-21 days should be perfect.

I also suggest using frozen thawed over live. A live rat (especially a XL or bigger) can really do some damage to a snake (even a bug one) Most pet stores and all reptile specialty stores should keep them in stock.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
abbccjns
Don't worry i would NEVER even think of feeding live. I've had 4 mice and 3 rats as pets, I would never let them suffer like that or potentially hurt my snake. So just XL not anything larger is fine for the 5.5 foot male boa then? I'm going to buy some frozen ones from rodentpro

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!