HELP! Boa making popping/cracking sound?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
abbccjns
HELP! Boa making popping/cracking sound?!

I just got a male 3.5 yr old columbian red tail boa the other day from people who were moving that needed to rehome. He is in shed so I only really held him one time since moving him in here when putting him in a warm bath, but when I did I heard popping/cracking noises. I have hip displasia and it sounds exactly when my hip pops out/into place, or like if someone cracked their knuckle almost. It made that noise a few times, but didn't at all when my bf was holding him for quite a while the day we got him while I was cleaning out and setting up his tank and there were no sounds. He was even moving around on the couch a little and seemed fine, curious and no sounds. I don't hear weird noises when he is breathing and it doesn't look like he is having any respiratory problems. Overall he seems healthy, except for how his owners only had a ceramic heater for him that got the warm end up to 80 degrees in my 75 degree house. I'm not sure if there was other heating provided in his old home they didn't give me, but I immediately added a 100w infrared heat bulb and the hot end is now 90 degrees.

So as I said, he only made this sound a few times, and this is after he was curled up not moving for many many hours, so I'm not sure if it could have been his bones just "settling" like how mine pop every once in a while. Also I've heard of some "popping" sound apparently being heard (not sure if same as what im describing though) when they are in shed, but can't really figure out what that has to do with the sound exactly, but he is in shed. He just got past the milky eyed stage so he should be shedding within the next week about. I know that some sort of weird crackling sounds are sometimes heard when they have respiratory infections, so being as how i'm not 100% sure the tank was over 80 for him in his old home, I'm just really wanting to make sure that this might be something normal. The sound is NOT coming from the mouth, one of the times he popped which only happened when I took him out of his cage after not moving for hours, and I even felt one of the pops, it felt exactly as i described with popping bones into place or cracking knuckle.

thank you

Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Metachrosis
Take the animal to a QUALIFIED DVM
that has experience with reptiles.

Period

Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
abbccjns
i'm about done using faunaclassifieds. almost every time i come here people either talk down, tell you that you cant ask someones opinion in a forum, or flat out don't even answer my question. I WILL BRING HIM TO THE VET IF SOMETHING MIGHT BE WRONG BUT SO FAR I DONT HAVE ANY CLUE IF SOMETHING IS! it didnt sound bad, i felt a little pop like 4 times right after i took him out of his tank after he was sleeping for hours and it felt like if he was just cracking a little from being all rolled up for hours. so far nothing is showing me that he is having health problems really, and i just want an idea of if anyone else has heard this happen,etc. i would greatly appreciate if someone can answer my question. please.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
abbccjns
there is no specialized reptile vet anywhere around where i live, so before i take a 2 hour drive and spend a ton of money on a vet visit for something that might just be him stretching out, i'd love to hear if anyone has had experience with this situation.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbccjns View Post
i'm about done using faunaclassifieds. almost every time i come here people either talk down, tell you that you cant ask someones opinion in a forum, or flat out don't even answer my question. I WILL BRING HIM TO THE VET IF SOMETHING MIGHT BE WRONG BUT SO FAR I DONT HAVE ANY CLUE IF SOMETHING IS! it didnt sound bad, i felt a little pop like 4 times right after i took him out of his tank after he was sleeping for hours and it felt like if he was just cracking a little from being all rolled up for hours. so far nothing is showing me that he is having health problems really, and i just want an idea of if anyone else has heard this happen,etc. i would greatly appreciate if someone can answer my question. please.

Your full it! Here is your other threads and every time you have asked a question it has been politely answered.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=315877
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=315588
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=311483
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=297094

You are supposed to ask questions in the forums that is what it is for.
You did just have this duplicate thread deleted that you posted in the classifieds not the discussion groups. And NO, you can't ask questions in the Classified ADS. That's not what it is for.

Don't like the rules then leave...

You are going to get a variety of answers that is what happens when you post on a Discussion Forum. There was nothing necessarily wrong with what he posted and your response was completely out of line.

If you can't handle a simple remark, Then be done! Get off your high horse and take your bottom somewhere else where they will spoon feed whatever answer you want. Don't come here lying. All your previous posts are visible for others to read. Nobody talked down to you and nobody stated you can't ask somebody's opinion in a discussion forum.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
abbccjns
okay i got a little carried away just because i'm upset about my snake, i have had a lot of help but more recently i'm just getting yelled at for things so i'm really sorry. delete my account please. ill try to myself if i can figure out how.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
If the sounds are coming from his head and mouth area,it sounds like the begining of a respitory infection.You dont have to see mucus or bubbles for them to have a minor respitory
infection. I would raise my temps on the cool end to about 85 and the hot spot at 90/92 and see if it stops.Make sure it has some humidity also(50-60%).Too dry or too moist can also give them an RI.
I could be wrong,but i dont think boas get arthritis.
I'm sure you will get a few answers and from some people that have been at it longer then i and i never had a boa that had an RI. YET.
And the best answer comes from a real reptile vet,most of the time.
This is the one post from the other thread before it was deleted....

Again the Classifieds are for selling things. The discussion groups are for discussing. Discuss away.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
abbccjns
I'm sorry I didn't realize it was posted in classifieds, and how do I delete my account? Don't want to be a bother to people.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #9
abbccjns
I don't know where to ask, but since you are already on the forum, I just want to make sure that once the account is deleted, all of my information like name and where i live is not floating around the website online.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Dennis Hultman
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...=1#post1454977
I answered in your thread on that topic.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!