NC Herping - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
turtleman85
NC Herping

I am looking for someone to go Turtle seeking with me. If you know any good spots or anyone that has a pond/creek, let me know. I am in Catawba County.

Old 09-10-2005, 12:11 AM   #2
Freakboy
Not sure of places in Catawba Co. But there certainly is not a shortage in the places i go. I live in Wilmington, and go to Fayetteville pretty often. When I get a chance I always go Herp Hunting. I am usually trying to find snakes, but I almost always run across turtles and tortoises.

Old 09-10-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
turtleman85
What kind of turts do ya run across. I've been trying to find some more mud/musk turtles but haven't had any luck. I do have a river about a 1000 ft. from my house and a lake that is about 5 miles from here to go to.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
nativecollector
The Great Dismal Swamp

The turtle capital of the world, lol.
I live just below the swamp in Elizabeth City and just after a good rain (like today) there is all kinds of creatures on the highway, and if you turn off onto a dirt road well there is no telling what you may see.
But that is a little ways for you to travel, if you are interested I can certainly help get you a place to hang for a day or so. An can help you house what you keep while you/we are hunting. Being that deer season starts next week I will be in and out of the woods alot. I will keep an eye out for ya.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #5
turtleman85
Ok, cool. My fiance is getting me a Spotted turtle for Christmas so I'm not sure how many more turtles I could get right now(I now have 2 common snappers, an eastern mud, a stinkpot, and a false map). I got a baby common snapper today from some people that I go to church with(he was in the middle of the road). He was covered in mud and smelled really awful. We had some flooding up here and the Henry River is still pretty high. I figure this little guy was dug in somewhere and the rising waters made him go to higher ground.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
rosysrule
Okay, I know this thread is old and being the newbie here posting in it probably doesn't make me look too intelligent, but I just figured I'd rehash this thread rather than start a new one.

At any rate, I'm in Iredell County, right over Mecklenburg and just curious if anyone else out there, near me perhaps, has been herping lately? Where did you go? What did you find? Also, are any of you members of the NC Herp Society?

~Christy

Old 02-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
nativecollector
The person that started this post is out near you. I on the other hand am much futher east than you guys. But as far as herping in that area I used to go out by the Uwharrie national park herping, but that was many many moons ago.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!