Coral snake attack puts puppy in peril - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
wcreptiles
Coral snake attack puts puppy in peril

Could have titled it "Unfortunate Bad Luck That a Coral Snake Wandered into Home and Bit Dog" but that doesn't sell papers. The last time this happened was when? The pictures of the "victim" sure doesn't help the plight of snakes in the neighbourhood.

***__________________________________________***

Coral snake attack puts puppy in peril
By WILL VASH

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

DELRAY BEACH — Roxy, an 11-month-old dachshund from Delray Beach, was fighting for her life Monday afternoon after a coral snake bite left her paralyzed.

The 9-pound puppy, owned by Jeremy and Alethea Brooks of Delray Beach, was spending Monday night at PetPB Animal Emergency and Advanced Imaging Center of Palm Beach in Boynton Beach after being treated during the day at Delray Beach Veterinary Hospital.

Dr. Sidney Lehr of the veterinary hospital said Roxy was showing "positive" signs after coral venom antidote was administered, but it was too early to tell if the canine would pull through.

"The bite is toxic to the nervous system. It paralyzes the body," Lehr said. "I'm cautiously optimistic right now."

Jeremy Brooks said that he and his wife noticed problems with the dog about 9 a.m. Sunday morning and immediately rushed her to PetPB. They live in a neighborhood near the Delray Beach municipal golf course.

"She started vomiting really bad, getting disoriented," Brooks said. "It just became worse and worse."

When they returned home, the couple was looking around the house for the cause of their dog's illness when the intruder made itself known.

"I look down and there's a coral snake in our living room," Brooks said.

After dispatching the snake with a shovel, Brooks went on the Internet and looked up the symptoms of a coral snake bite.

"Everything fit," Brooks said. "I immediately called the vet."

Since then, the couple, who work at the Town Center mall in Boca Raton, have acted as an impromptu ambulance service, shuttling their beloved pooch from the overnight animal care center to Lehr's office.

They also made a frantic drive to pick up the hard-to-find antivenin from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials.

After dropping off Roxy at PetPB Monday night, Jeremy Brooks said if the puppy remains paralyzed for much longer, the couple may have to give up the fight.

"If she's not well soon, we just don't have the money," Brooks said. "We're hoping and praying it doesn't get that far."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/south/c...cxntlid=inform
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
INSANE CANES
We wish it a full and speedy recovery

Old 03-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
wcreptiles
Roxy the dachshund is home from the hospital!

I got this off a blog, it appears the dachshund bitten by the coral snake is going to be OK.

Home > Paws Here > Archives > 2008 > March > 19 > Entry

Turnaround time: Roxy the dachshund is home from the hospital!
By Lynn Kalber | Wednesday, March 19, 2008, 05:50 PM

It’s amazing, but Roxy, the snake-bitten doxie, is home!

I spoke with Roxy’s dad, Jeremy Brooks, about 5 minutes ago. Here’s what he told me:

“Last night was a miracle for her. They called about 12 and said she had eaten a treat and that we could get her today. She stayed at the vet’s until about 4 p.m. and then we went and picked her up. She’s lying right here on the couch next to me.

“She’ll have to have physical therapy, but she’s doing great.”

I told him already, but we all need to let Roxy’s family know again how much us pet people are happy for her and them right now.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...the_dachs.html

**************** Another Article from Wednesday *************

Snake-bit dog is one lucky puppy

By GRETEL SARMIENTO and WILL VASH

Palm Beach Post Staff Writers

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

DELRAY BEACH — Roxy, the 11 month-old Dachshund that was left paralyzed by a coral snake bite Monday, is going to make it.

"I wouldn't have said this yesterday," said veterinarian Sidney Lehr Tuesday. "I wouldn't have believed it. She's a little dog who got bitten by a poisonous snake.

"She's continuing to show signs of improvement," said Lehr who has been treating Roxy at his Delray Beach Veterinary Hospital.

"Now it's just a matter of waiting," said Jeremy Brooks, the Delray Beach resident who owns the 9-pound dog with his wife, Alethea. They are not sure how long it will be until Roxy can stand up or eat on her own.

"If we have to sell our car, get rid of our TV. Whatever we need to do, we are not giving up," he said Tuesday. Because they have received many calls and e-mails the couple is planning to set up a Myspace page for those who want to help.

Brooks said that he and his wife noticed problems with the dog about 9 a.m. Sunday and rushed her to an emergency veterinarian clinic in Boynton Beach.

When they returned home, the Brookses were looking around the house for a reason for the dog's illness when the intruder made itself known.

"I look down and there's a coral snake in our living room," Brooks said.

After dispatching the snake with a shovel, Brooks looked up the symptoms of a coral snake bite on the internet.

"Everything fit," Brooks said. "I immediately called the vet."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...id=inform_artr

Old 03-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
INSANE CANES
Thanks for the update.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Tim Cole
Probably what really happened

was that THE DOG ATTACKED THE CORAL SNAKE and it defended itself. A coral will not bite unless it is restrained!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
wcreptiles
I read an article where "someone" thought that the dog may have found the snake out side and brought it inside to show its owners. Much like a cat will bring it's prey to the door step.

I agree, a sleeping dog was not attacked by the coral snake. I'm sure the dog was the aggressor, I hope he learned his lesson, he may not be so lucky next time.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
wcreptiles
It appears that Roxy died.

It appears that Roxy died.

"Steve Grenard, moderator of the Venom Forum at Staten Island University Hospital, said he found it hard to believe that Roxy would have held onto life for about nine days before succumbing to the toxic coral snake venom – particularly since she had gotten the antidote."

I'm not an expert on Coral snakes but I can't really believe they gum you to death??? Small fangs yes, sharp gums no.

"Actually, “bite” is something of a misnomer. Because coral snakes have no teeth, they have to latch on to a dog, human or other prey and, in effect, “gum” the skin until it breaks and they can deliver the venom."

Coral snake bites kill two dogs in South Florida
Published April 6th, 2008

By Dale M. King
CITY EDITOR

Most Floridians don’t give a lot of thought to coral snakes.

The red-and-yellow striped, fangless creatures can deliver a potentially lethal dose of venom. But according to Dr. Kirt Rusenko, marine conservationist at the Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in Boca Raton, coral snakes are shy, and tend to slither away when a larger creature comes near.

South Florida residents have suddenly become aware of coral snakes since two dogs died after being bitten by the snakes, which are indigenous to South Florida in general – and Palm Beach County in particular.

Roxy, an 11-month old Dachshund belonging to Jeremy and Althea Brooks of Delray Beach, was bitten by a coral snake that had gotten into the family home.

Near death, Roxy was brought to an emergency clinic in Boynton Beach, and was shuttled back and forth between that facility and her own veterinarian. More than a week later, when it appeared she had recovered, Roxy died.

Just a few days ago, a 3-year-old Jack Russell terrier died after tangling with a coral snake.

Both pets were given antivenin, yet did not recover.

Actually, “bite” is something of a misnomer. Because coral snakes have no teeth, they have to latch on to a dog, human or other prey and, in effect, “gum” the skin until it breaks and they can deliver the venom.

Causes Paralysis

Coral snake venom paralyzes the victim, in essence, halting the ability to breathe.

Steve Grenard, moderator of the Venom Forum at Staten Island University Hospital, said he found it hard to believe that Roxy would have held onto life for about nine days before succumbing to the toxic coral snake venom – particularly since she had gotten the antidote.

Grenard questioned whether the anti-toxin was still potent. He said coral snake antivenin must be kept refrigerated, and can expire.

This has implications for humans as well. Chief Al Cruz of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Venom Response Bureau – the only department in the country that has such a unit – said if a human is bitten by a coral snake, it may take 12 hours for symptoms to show. If a victim doesn’t get to the hospital within that time, it may be too late once the toxin kicks in.

Cruz said his group normally counts 75 to 80 coral snake bites in South Florida each year. Three times more bites occur in Palm Beach County than in Broward or Miami-Dade because the sandy soil attracts them.

Grenard, whose mission is to locate coral snake bite deaths in Florida, said only one occurred in Boca Raton, about 20 years ago. He said a man on Glades Road tried to stuff a coral snake into a coffee can. He was bitten and taken to Boca Raton Community Hospital, Grenard said, where he later died.

Reports that a person in Delray Beach was bitten by a coral snake within the past year or two, and survived, could not be confirmed. A spokeswoman for Delray Medical Center said records for the last two years showed no one had been treated for a coral snake bite.

Dale M. King can be reached at 561-549-0832 or at dking@bocanews.com.

http://www.bocaratonnews.com/news/lo...th-florida.php

Old 04-07-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcreptiles
I'm not an expert on Coral snakes but I can't really believe they gum you to death??? Small fangs yes, sharp gums no.
They're elapids. Fixed front fanged. Definitely have full sets of teeth- they're small teeth inside a small snake and like the majority of elapid fangs, are shorter and have a thicker taper than viper or crotalid fangs... but they're definitely there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!