Bad Guy Fluker Farms AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE! Filthy - Page 14 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #131
PhienixVixen
Well lets see. There was only the adult beetles in her bed, no larva. So it is not caused by the hairs of the larva. It could be that she rolled on the adult beetles in her sleep and they were trying to escape. I will include pictures on the marks. You tell me that they are not bites. Don't try to say that I have a bed bug infestation also. I have see what bed bug bites look like, similar to a fire ant bite but smaller.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #132
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhienixVixen View Post
Well lets see. There was only the adult beetles in her bed, no larva. So it is not caused by the hairs of the larva. It could be that she rolled on the adult beetles in her sleep and they were trying to escape. I will include pictures on the marks. You tell me that they are not bites. Don't try to say that I have a bed bug infestation also. I have see what bed bug bites look like, similar to a fire ant bite but smaller.
Those types of beetles and their larvae do not bite; even if they did, that sort of reaction is not what you would see from a beetle bite.

Actually, they look like spider bites or scorpion stings to me.
They should probably be seen by a doctor quickly, IMO, especially if they hurt or if she is not feeling well. My brother had similar bites that needed medical treatment. They left some scars.
There is still a chance they are bedbugs, but bedbugs cannot always be seen; you may have to have a pest control company check with bedbug sniffing dogs to be sure (my brother in law owns a pest control company and has told me all about bedbugs and how to determine if you have them). I still think it's more likely a spider or scorpion though.

you may want to do a thorough vacuuming and see if anything (spider/scorpion) turns up in the bag.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #133
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
you may want to do a thorough vacuuming and see if anything (spider/scorpion) turns up in the bag.
Also, if a spider or scorpion turns up, bring it to the doctor with you for identification

Old 08-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #134
Lucille
Quote:
Lucky I do not need to take my daughter to the doctor due to these bites. They are painful but not dangerous.
You are making several large assumptions. You are assuming that whatever is causing the bites came from this company. Any number of insects can bite, simply because you say you bought Fluker's crickets does not mean that the biting bugs or whatever is the cause of the lesions, came from them.

The second, more critical assumption, is about your daughter's health. The lesions may be a bite, may be an allergic reaction, but if she is crying with pain, she should be evaluated by her doctor.
Some people who are allergic to certain bites or stings, bee stings for instance, can after a number of bites (or for that matter, after their first bite) have an anaphylactic reaction.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #135
j_dunlavy
I would also like to say that when I was a kid I wanted to be an entomologist and collected bugs. My collection had thousands of bugs, several hundred of which were beetles. The only time I had ever been bitten by beetles was when I caught some tiger beetles; they have nasty jaws but like other beetles, no venom or injectable poisons associated with their bite; just a little pain while they were biting and a tiny mark where they bit. Nothing like what your daughter has on her.
I'm with Lucille on this, and really think you ought to talk to a doctor.
You may or may not be aware, In early 2011, Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman contracted necrotizing fasciitis. Reports linked this illness with a spider bite he claimed to have received while in a friend's hot tub. Not trying to scare you, but spider bites can be very serious, especially if untreated... assuming that these bites are from a spider, that is.
Once again, I would vacuum the bed, under the bed, all the corners, etc, to see if a spider or scorpion turns up to bring in for Identification.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #136
Mistyck
I have never been bit by a carpet beetle, as they tend to feed on dead flesh/carpet/furniture only. There could be a reaction to the hairs of the larvae, but ones to the beetle itself are unlikely.

I would be taking my child in had she had bites/reactions like that. But I guess that's just me...

Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #137
PhienixVixen
Well lets see. 1. When I opened the packages of crickets from Flukers it had the carpet beetle larva. So it is logical to assume that the larva came with the crickets from Flukers. I do not think that the magically just appeared in the package. So unless the Good Farie Lollypop shit them out during shipping they came from Flukers.

2. When my daughter went to bed she did not have those bites on her leg. There were there when she woke. She is 6 and sleeps in the same room with me so no she did not get up in the middle of the night and walk around the house or outside while I was sleeping. When she woke up she had the marks on her leg and face. So it is logic to assume that she got them while she was sleeping. Also we did not go out the past few days so it is Logic to assume that she did not get bit while outside, because she was not outside.

3. Once she woke up she started crying that her leg hurt. I looked and saw the marks. So again it is safe to assume that she got the marks in bed.

4. When #3 happened I took everything off her bed. Stripped off the sheet, blanket, and searched the pillow and pillow case. I even flipped the mattress, looked around the floor around the bed. The only thing I found was several of the carpet beetles. No spiders, ants, scorpions (we do not have those around the inside or outside of the house), no bed bugs, no fire ants, no fleas (we have no fleas), nothing but the carpet beetles. So it is safe to assume that these beetles somehow caused the marks on her. I honestly first thought it might of been a brown recluse, my first thought on any bite but it was not a brown recluse. I know what a brown recluse because several years ago in a different house I got bit by one. The doctor cut out a golf ball size of chunk of meat out of my leg along with a lot of puss. The back of my leg looks like I was shot with a small caliber gun that healed over. My husband got bit also and spent a week in the hospital due to being bit by one. He went into shock and almost died so I can speak from personal experience about the brown recluse. So I always worry about brown recluse first until I can rule them out.

5. I am an EMT and I looked at the marks carefully. No sign of necrosis (sign of a brown recluse that shows within a few hours of the bite). Other then worrying about a possible brown recluse ( none in the house) there is no worry about the bite. One does not just take someone to the ER because of a few bites unless it is an allergic reaction or if the bitter is known to be something highly venomous. No sign of infection either. SO don't pull that, oh I am better then you because I would of gone to the ER and you did not. The only thing the doctor would of said was just keep an eye on the bites, look for a rash, infection or signs of necrosis.

So Lucille stop trolling. I know what I saw come out of the package of crickets, I know what I saw and did not see around my daughter's bed. It could be that she rolled over on top of them and they bit or scratched her lightly with their legs in an effort to get away causing a possible allergic reaction, I do not know. It could be a possible allergic reaction due to the fact that my husband, son, 2 other daughters, and me have no signs of these bugs on our skin. What I do know is that she had no marks when she went to bed, had them when she got up, and the only thing around was those beetles.

I do know that these beetles are hard to get rid of once they infest your home. They destroy carpet, clothes, get into your food and your pets food. I do know that Fluker knows that they are infested with this beetle and they know that the larva is shipped out with their orders. If they were easy to get rid of then Fluker would not have them. Any company that knowingly ships out parasites with their product does not care about the quality or service that they provide.

Also my youngest is 9 months old and is crawling. I keep a very clean house and kill any bugs that come in, unless they are feeder insects. Due to the spider bites a several years ago I do not even allow house or wolf spiders to stay in the house.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #138
Quote:
Well lets see. 1. When I opened the packages of crickets from Flukers it had the carpet beetle larva. So it is logical to assume that the larva came with the crickets from Flukers. I do not think that the magically just appeared in the package. So unless the Good Farie Lollypop shit them out during shipping they came from Flukers.

2. When my daughter went to bed she did not have those bites on her leg. There were there when she woke. She is 6 and sleeps in the same room with me so no she did not get up in the middle of the night and walk around the house or outside while I was sleeping. When she woke up she had the marks on her leg and face. So it is logic to assume that she got them while she was sleeping. Also we did not go out the past few days so it is Logic to assume that she did not get bit while outside, because she was not outside.

3. Once she woke up she started crying that her leg hurt. I looked and saw the marks. So again it is safe to assume that she got the marks in bed.

4. When #3 happened I took everything off her bed. Stripped off the sheet, blanket, and searched the pillow and pillow case. I even flipped the mattress, looked around the floor around the bed. The only thing I found was several of the carpet beetles. No spiders, ants, scorpions (we do not have those around the inside or outside of the house), no bed bugs, no fire ants, no fleas (we have no fleas), nothing but the carpet beetles. So it is safe to assume that these beetles somehow caused the marks on her. I honestly first thought it might of been a brown recluse, my first thought on any bite but it was not a brown recluse. I know what a brown recluse because several years ago in a different house I got bit by one. The doctor cut out a golf ball size of chunk of meat out of my leg along with a lot of puss. The back of my leg looks like I was shot with a small caliber gun that healed over. My husband got bit also and spent a week in the hospital due to being bit by one. He went into shock and almost died so I can speak from personal experience about the brown recluse. So I always worry about brown recluse first until I can rule them out.

5. I am an EMT and I looked at the marks carefully. No sign of necrosis (sign of a brown recluse that shows within a few hours of the bite). Other then worrying about a possible brown recluse ( none in the house) there is no worry about the bite. One does not just take someone to the ER because of a few bites unless it is an allergic reaction or if the bitter is known to be something highly venomous. No sign of infection either. SO don't pull that, oh I am better then you because I would of gone to the ER and you did not. The only thing the doctor would of said was just keep an eye on the bites, look for a rash, infection or signs of necrosis.

So Lucille stop trolling. I know what I saw come out of the package of crickets, I know what I saw and did not see around my daughter's bed. It could be that she rolled over on top of them and they bit or scratched her lightly with their legs in an effort to get away causing a possible allergic reaction, I do not know. It could be a possible allergic reaction due to the fact that my husband, son, 2 other daughters, and me have no signs of these bugs on our skin. What I do know is that she had no marks when she went to bed, had them when she got up, and the only thing around was those beetles.

I do know that these beetles are hard to get rid of once they infest your home. They destroy carpet, clothes, get into your food and your pets food. I do know that Fluker knows that they are infested with this beetle and they know that the larva is shipped out with their orders. If they were easy to get rid of then Fluker would not have them. Any company that knowingly ships out parasites with their product does not care about the quality or service that they provide.

Also my youngest is 9 months old and is crawling. I keep a very clean house and kill any bugs that come in, unless they are feeder insects. Due to the spider bites a several years ago I do not even allow house or wolf spiders to stay in the house.
Sounds like you're 100% certain. Case closed! Well done.

Not sure why anyone bothers responding to some of these posts. But, here I am, with a (sarcastic) response.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #139
Looks a lot like bed bug bites.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #140
j_dunlavy
Quote:

1. reasonable. Carpet beetles are common among cricket suppliers.

2 & 3. logical. went to bed with no bites, woke up with bites.

4. a search is reasonable, but just because something else does not turn up does not mean that something else was not involved. Just because you do not find them in the house does not mean they cannot get inside, or are not around. Therefore, it is not safe to assume the beetles ar the only thing that may have caused these marks. As for the recluse bite thing: there are many other spiders out there that can cause some serious problems; they can also be very small and easily go undetected in a toy or tiny crevice. The point is that it is very possible for another player to be involved.
Also back to the bedbugs; they are very difficult to detect in some cases. just because you have not found them does not mean that they are off the table until they are ruled out by a bedbug sniffing dog. Once again, my brother in law has 2 of these dogs with his pest control company. He has found bedbugs with them that went undetected by all other methods of detection. They are sneaky little things so don't write them off so easily.

5. If you are an EMT, you should know that an infection can show up quite some time later. My brother's bites looked like that for a couple days, then they started to get bad. Nobody is saying they are better than you because they would go to the ER. Also, if you do not know the source of the bites, how can you safely presume they are not from something dangerous? A doctor's appointment is simple enough. Your daughter's reaction to a recluse could also be different than you or your husband's.

Calling Lucille names for simply stating a few basic facts is not helping. Nobody is disputing that the beetles came from Flukers; nobody is disputing that these beetles can infest. what is being disputed is that these beetles caused the marks on your daughter, in fact you even questioned it yourself. If you really think it is an allergic reaction, hold one of the beetles or larvae against her skin; I bet it leaves no mark. If it does, then benadryl. Simple allergy test.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!