Monitor permit help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
chamlover85
Monitor permit help

Anyone know if a Sav. Monitor requires a pemit in New Jersey? I have looked on the Departments website and it is not on the lists.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
undyingrampage
No, i live in CT. and i have a 3 week old one and i never had trouble by anyone, im sure you can talk to your local pet shops and they will tell you but im almost sure there not. (i think its FL. that has to have a permit)

Old 03-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
chamlover85
Thanks so much. I live an in apartment complex. My sav is a baby right now but when it gets bigger I wanted to be able to take it outside on the leash without the neighbors trying to give me bull because they are scared. Besides the permit the place we have allows pets anyway but you would be surprised. We have a local paper that lets our community "spout off" about stupid stuff and instead of talking about real issues they complain about dog waste, dogs barking, neighbors fences being too high....it goes on. I am surrounded by idiots, lol.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
undyingrampage
you should see some people see me when i walk my 6 foot iguana in the park lol

Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
JordanAng420
As of about 6 months ago (which was when I purchased mine) no permit is needed to own a Savannah in Florida. Unless I am missing something, there is still no permit needed.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
bsash
I live in New Jersey too, and yes, Savannah Monitors do require permits, along with any exotic animal really... almost all animals in New Jersey need a permit, besides cats, dogs, and rats, ha ha. But then they still want you to register them and all that too. But It is only $10.00 a year for the permit, and you can put all of your animals on it, it is only $20.00 if you add birds to it. Hope that helps, and if you have any other questions about animal permits in New Jersey I will help you, I have been through it all, and over and over each year for renewals.

Here is the website though so you will have their phone number and application.:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/exotic_apps.htm

Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
chamlover85
Thank you, BSASH! I did some browsing on the website before for my frilled and sav and they were not on the list. They have "Monitor" Listed but it's scientific name is Varanus spp., so I figured it was not needed. I think they need to make a detailed list. I have not had a chance to call them however when I emailed them about the Frilled needing one, they never responded. Thanks for your input though, very helpful. God forbid, when it got bigger I would have taken it outside here one day not knowing it needed one and they would have tried to take it off me. I mean it's not like I am fighting off paying $20 to have all the right documents to keep them both, just wanted to know if it was nessasary before I did. So, thanks for coming out of the woodwork and informing me, lol!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamlover85 View Post
Thank you, BSASH! I did some browsing on the website before for my frilled and sav and they were not on the list. They have "Monitor" Listed but it's scientific name is Varanus spp., so I figured it was not needed.
Varanus spp covers most species of monitors which is why they are not listing individual species.

The easiest way to win the argument is to avoid it.

Walking a large lizard on a leash in public IS asking for trouble even though you may be with in your rights to do so.

Getting involved with a local herp society outreach or similar venue would be a safer way of showing off your lizard to the public.

It's not so scary when they can approach you as to you approaching them.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
bsash
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamlover85 View Post
Thank you, BSASH! I did some browsing on the website before for my frilled and sav and they were not on the list. They have "Monitor" Listed but it's scientific name is Varanus spp., so I figured it was not needed. I think they need to make a detailed list. I have not had a chance to call them however when I emailed them about the Frilled needing one, they never responded. Thanks for your input though, very helpful. God forbid, when it got bigger I would have taken it outside here one day not knowing it needed one and they would have tried to take it off me. I mean it's not like I am fighting off paying $20 to have all the right documents to keep them both, just wanted to know if it was nessasary before I did. So, thanks for coming out of the woodwork and informing me, lol!
You can put the Sav. and the Frilled on the same permit for $10 a year, you will just need a copy of both of their receipts (Store or hand written) and temporary permits (If you have them) when you mail in the application. And, if you are to get any other animals, you can wait until the end of the year to add them to your permit, and it is still just $10 for the year plus $2 to add the new animal, so it would be $12 in total. The permit price will only be $20 a year if you have birds.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
bsash
Also, you are welcome, and I'm glad I could help. As well, Tim Cole is right, I wouldn't take a monitor or any large reptile into public for that matter, it very well could be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Township laws are different than state laws most of the time, and while the state may allow you to have these animals, the township may not want them to leave your property. I would suggest if you wanted to take them outside for a walk or what have you, to do it in your own yard (Or a local Herp. Society as suggested). Plus, there is always the possibility of them getting off leash or maybe not and just tail whipping or biting someone, which would certainly lead to the animal being destroyed. People don't typically make exceptions for reptiles, they are far less favored than cats or dogs, and when things do happen and go wrong with them, even if it is just a scratch, most people will seriously blow it out of proportion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!