New baby beardie...a few questions please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
kikirayne
New baby beardie...a few questions please

Hello~ Im new to bearded dragons and I have a baby beardie that I just got yesterday. Her name is Rai and was shipped from California. (Im not sure how old she is, from nose to the start of her tail maybe 3 inches) Last night she was eating fine, ate about 5 crickets, this morning ate about the same.. now tonight she isnt really wanting to eat and keeps walking/ laying with her legs out behind her. She isnt paralyzed as she can move her legs. The crickets are smaller than the space between her eyes and the temps in the tank run Basking: 102 cool side 80-85. She seems really sleepy and Im not sure if Im just worrying over nothing... any help/ suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and the floor of the terrarium is covered in the reptile carpet stuff, and Im using a mercury vapor uvb compact and a 60 watt basking light.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
kikirayne
Oh and the other thing, is that she's laying really close to the ground, and keeps falling asleep -all the time- even if soaking etc.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Congrats on your new tiny baby!
Let's go over your husbandry a bit.
What is the brand of your Mercury Vapor bulb? I have never heard of a compact mercury vapor bulb? That only 2 that I will recommend is either a Megaray or a T-rex active UV heat. They are both flood-looking type lights that project BOTH UVB & heat.
What are you using to measure your temps with? A digital probe, a temp gun or a stick on type of thermometer? If you are using a stick on type of thermometer then your temps will not be accurate. You will need to get either a digital probe or a temp gun for better readings.

Tracie

Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
bullfrog100000
The temp gun we got is the best tool we have. Spend the $20. and get one, it is sooooo worth it.
Would suggest making sure that you dust the crickets with Herp vitamins and Calcium.
As Tracie and Angie (mad4you2) have mentioned in a thread with us, bee pollen granuales are great... they can increase energy and are a wonderful food in general. These gals can tell you more about that.
The bulb we have is called PowerSun, not sure who makes it off hand, but it does both UVB and heat.
Not sure what else to add... good luck with the new baby. They are pretty cute and fun.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
kikirayne
Sorry its taken so long to reply went out of town unexpectedly. Turns out its not a compact and Im just having a blond moment XD. I have a temp gun that I use to measure temps. She's not walking funny now but is still constantly laying all sprawled out.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Well, what type & brand of UVB light do you have currently? You mentioned it was a mercury vapor bulb, so it either has to be a T-rex or a Megaray. If it is any other brand, it is not good, so please let me know what type you are using. Zoomed has a powersun that is ok, as well, just not as strong. What sized tank is she in?
Your basking temps are only 102? Is she dehydrated? What other symptoms are going on with her, other than just laying all sprawled out?
What do her eyes look like are they bright or sunk in? Is she eating & basking at all?

Tracie

Old 09-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
reptileking123
i am looing for baby beardeds i live in california hit me up if you know were i can buy one 310-743-6418

Old 09-22-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
bullfrog100000
Sprawled out..

Have you gotten fecals and an exam from a reptile vet? I'd at least drop a fecal off and see what you get.
I've had several breeders tell me the leg thing can be impaction, or impaction from the crickets back (spiny) legs. There might be other causes tho.. I would definitely make sure thats she's really well hydrated .
I hope shes doing better..G.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Drache613
Updates?

Hello,

Any updates for us, I hope everything is going better with her. Please let us know how she is doing. Thanks.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!