Dragon Database - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #1
Valley Dragons
Dragon Database

For those of you who do not know, I am working to put together a bearded dragon "database" of information.

There are several issues that have come to light in the bearded dragon community. These are issues that have the potential to seriously impact the health and quality of life of our beloved animals. This will not be a forum for discussion - it is simply a place to gather data from various breeders, hobbyists, and casual pet keepers alike. We will be happy to start a discussion about any of the topics here at fauna.

We welcome information and experiences from anyone in the bearded dragon community. We may not all agree on certain issues, but we want to provide a place where every view can be equally expressed. Please be patient with us as we organize this page! If you would like your experiences to be a part of our database, please write down your contribution, and email it to valleydragons@msn.com.

To start the ball rolling...some topics of interest include:

Bearded Dragon Diseases
Adenovirus info and Test Results
Inbreeding Issues
Nutrition and Supplements
Hatchling Size and Growth Rates
Husbandry
Morphs
Medical Treatments, traditional
Medical Treatments, holistic
Cleaning Practices
Longevity
Feeding
Grooming
Temperament Differences
Incubation

We welcome any other ideas for topics of interest! We will link up these topics as soon as we get some input from others. I am already working to include my own personal experiences on this database.

Here is the link to the website: http://www.valleydragons.com/new_page_17.htm

Jamie

Old 06-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello Jamie,

Great work. It is a very good start. This has needed to be done for a very long time!
The topics look fine, too.

Tracie

Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Tere Salazar
Agreed. Good job, Jamie!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
Valley Dragons
The Big Survey!

Copy and paste onto an email. Answer the questions and send them to me! Thanks!

Jamie

Your Dragon’s Background

1. When, and from whom did you purchase your dragon?
2. How old was your dragon when purchased?
3. What morph/parentage is your dragon?
4. What was your dragon being fed when you purchased him?
5. How was your dragon being kept by the breeder/pet shop regarding husbandry?

Your Dragon’s Present Care

1. General Husbandry:

a. type and size of cage
b. substrate used
c. type of basking light used
d. type of UVB light used (if any)
e. amount of sunlight exposure (if any)
f. What temperature is your basking spot?
g. What temperature is your cool side?
h. What is the humidity in the cage?
i. How many hours per day do you leave on the basking light?
j. How many hours per day do you leave on the UVB light?
k. Do you spray your dragons with water? If so, how often?
l. Do you soak your dragons in water? If so, how often?
m. Do you groom your dragon in other ways, e.g., trimming nails?
n. What do you use to clean your dragon’s enclosure? How often do you clean your dragon’s cage?

2. Feeding and Supplements:

a. What types of greens/squash/ and veggies do you feed your dragon? How often do you feed these items to your dragon? Do you use regular or organic?
b. Do you feed your dragons pellets or other commercial diets? If so, what brand and how often? Do you use commercial diets to supplement your dragon’s regular diet, or as your dragon’s sole diet?
c. What feeder insects do you use? How often do you feed your dragons live feeder insects? Where do you purchase your feeder insects?
d. Do you gut-load your feeder insects? If so, what do you use to gut-load?
e. What supplements do you use? How often do you use them?
f. Do you feed other food items to your dragon, e.g., pinky mice, fish, Cheerios, etc? If so, what, and how often?
g. How do your provide your dragon with water? E.g., bathing, water bowl, misting, spraying their salads, etc.
h. How often do you provide your dragon with water?

Your Dragon’s Medical History

1. Has your dragon ever suffered from impaction, metabolic bone disease, yellow fungus disease, fatty liver disease, injuries, reproductive problems, parasites, or any other medically related issue? If so, please list the ailment, and the date or approximate date that it happened or was diagnosed.
2. Did your dragon require medical treatment? If so, did your dragon receive home treatment (by you) or treatment by a qualified vet?
3. What treatment methods were used? What prescriptions were used, if any, and in what dosage were they given? Was your dragon given any type of herbs or other holistic medicines? How did your dragon respond to treatment?
4. If treated for parasites, what drugs were used, and how many times were treatments necessary to rid your dragon of the parasites?
5. If your dragon was treated by a veterinarian, please list the name and/or clinic where your dragon was treated. Was the vet a qualified reptile vet or general practice vet?
6. Were you satisfied by the treatment that your dragon received? If not, then please explain why.
7. Has your dragon been tested for adenovirus? If so, how often, by whom, and by what method?
8. If your dragon is adenovirus-positive, have you noticed anything unusual about your dragon’s general health?
9. If your dragon has had health problems , and has also tested positive for adenovirus, have you had the other health problems checked by a qualified vet for possible explanations for the illness other than the presence of adenovirus? If so, what was the conclusion by your veterinarian?
10. What other tests were run besides the test for adenovirus? Was your dragon found to have any other viruses, bacteria, or fungus?
11. If your adenovirus-positive dragon has been bred, did you notice anything unusual about the period of gravidity, laying, and hatching? How quickly did your female recover from egg-laying? How many successive clutches did your female lay? Was she bred to your knowledge to an adeno-positive male?
12. Did you experience any issues with egg-viability? What was the mortality rate of the hatchlings? Were there any unusual health problems with the babies? Were they tested for adenovirus, and if so, what were the results?
13. If you experienced hatchling deaths, where they tested for any other bacteria, viruses, or parasites? If so, what were the results?
14. Have you experienced the death of a dragon? If so, what was the cause of death to your knowledge? Was cause of death assumed or diagnosed by a qualified vet? How old was your dragon when he passed away?

Old 06-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Valley Dragons
Oh yeah, lol - valleydragons@msn.com

Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
Valley Dragons
slackers :)

Alright guys, I've gotten submissions for 13 dragons so far, and only ONE of them from faunaclassifieds. You guys are slackers, lol! Just kidding. Sort of. For all those people that keep saying that this has needed to be done for a long time - get involved! Yes, I am chastising you a bit, and I reserve the right to do so. I know you guys have jobs, etc, but I've seen how a good fight will draw all kinds of people out of the woodwork to waste precious time slinging crap at each other. I was hoping that a move in a positive direction would do the same! We won't have real answers until real information has been gathered, and this will take time - but every person counts!

Jamie

Old 06-29-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
Neverland Dragons
I posted this on the other thread, but figured I would cover all my bases.

I have family in town from Texas and California, so I probably will not be able to get mine to you for a few weeks. Plus, 3 of my 4 children are getting ready to start year round school in a little over a week, so it has been a little crazy! :-) I can get lost in Target for a week just buying all of their school supplies!

Wendy

Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
walker75
Jamie

I will copy this and submit it to you I hope by the beginning of next week

Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
Tere Salazar
I'm working on it, as well, Jaime. Work has been nuts, as is evidenced by me not being on here too much. This is important, and I know that. I'll get the survey done as soon as I can. You know...I think that means the hubby is going to have to locate my chart! Yeah!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
Denisebme
I'm working on the answers for all of mine, so look forward to 11 more soon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!