Chinese coronavirus - Page 33 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 03-31-2020, 11:14 PM   #321
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I do not think Covid can be ruled out until they get the test results, because he was diagnosed with one does not mean he does not have the other. Joe please update us. as to the results and how you are feeling.
Hey all. Yes I did get ruled out of having coronavirus and spent 20 hours in a negative pressure room. Now in the coronary section of hospital.

One of my valves in heart chamber is totally destroyed and needs repair. I have spent last 3 days getting tests done for surgery. Some not so pleasant.

I get to go home with meds and probably have surgery next week off hospital grounds.

For now I can breathe with meds but just need to stay settled. Open heart surgery takes 6 to 12 weeks to recover. I'm thinking 6 weeks is younger person.

I wish they could have done it while I'm here but understand the reasoning. I was asleep and they woke me up so here I am.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 PM   #322
JColt
Oh and by repair i mean replaced. Usually it is valve from pig. The life expectancy of repair is 15 years. I've been poked and prodded a lot last few days. During a 3d scan of my heart I was able to easily see that valve was bad. They did other tests to confirm everything else was good.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:12 AM   #323
WebSlave
Damn, Joe. That is some serious sounding stuff. Sounds like you had a ticking time bomb in your chest, so luckily you caught it before the ticker just stopped.

I hope you pull through this OK.

Oh, and you really, REALLY need to avoid catching this virus on top of everything else.

I'm kind of surprised they have an offsite area outside of the hospital to be doing open heart surgery. But probably a real good idea, all things considered with what they are expecting.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:05 AM   #324
JColt
My wife was staying home and only going to her parents house to take care of them. Now her brother is and wife will be home with me. Weak right now and need assistance. 2020, no good for anybody.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #325
Lucille
Joe it was good for you, you found out about your valves. From what you write, you have a demanding job and had you not found out, one of these days you would probably worked yourself to death.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #326
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Joe it was good for you, you found out about your valves. From what you write, you have a demanding job and had you not found out, one of these days you would probably worked yourself to death.
Yeah, two weeks ago when Joe had to climb up on that roof his heart could have failed right then and there and he would have fallen off the ladder. Game over. Hopefully the surgery will fix him up and he will have at least that additional 15 years to look forward to.

Any chance you could retire early, Joe? Maybe go on disability? Repaired heart or not, might be time to be thinking about taking it easy.

Anyone in favor of rolling back this 2020 year and going back to 2019? I'm not real impressed with this year so far.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #327
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Anyone in favor of rolling back this 2020 year and going back to 2019? I'm not real impressed with this year so far.
LOL I saw a Facebook meme last week from someone that stated his 90-day free trial of 2020 was about to expire, and he wanted to return it.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #328
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Any chance you could retire early, Joe? Maybe go on disability? Repaired heart or not, might be time to be thinking about taking it easy.
I could have retired last year, I can get insurance for me at around $400 a month through my union. If I add wife to it it goes to just under $1800 a month. My wife is constantly in and out of hospital. So ideally I need to wait till she's 65. Another 4 years.

I was released today from hospital and my surgery is between a week from now or 4 weeks due to the coronavirus issue. I'm on a heart med, high blood pressure med, a diuretic and potassium pills.

I'm weak as a kitten now but functioning. I lost 22 pounds in 2 days from the diuretic.

I will have open heart and doctor says if can be repaired he will do that and if not install a valve from pig. If he installs a metal or plastic one I would need blood thinners the rest of my life and hope I never get injured far from an emergency room.

I had extensive testing done so doctor can take any advantage time wise to do surgery.At least another 7 days in hospital and probably not moving much. Whew, Time for nap!

Old 04-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #329
WebSlave
internet consequences

I tried to download a backup copy of the daily capture of all my MySQL databases the other night, and found that the download speed was gimpy tortoise slow. I am paying for 1 gbps download speeds from my ISP, and I was barely getting 20 mbps. So I've gotten to expect downloads of 5 gb files taking no more than a minute at the best of times. When things are slower, it might take 2 minutes. So a 10 minute download now seems like an eternity to me.

I did a transfer test and found that local speed to my ISP was just fine. So I contacted my server guys at the data center thinking it is probably on their end.

Well, come to find out that their data center was being hammered with data overload because of so many people staying at home and using network conferencing and the like. Plus so many people who normally were using the local internal network at their job were instead now at home and using the external internet and/or a VPN in order to do the work they normally did at their desk at work.

So far I don't see any notable slowdowns on this site specifically, but I'm wondering how long it will be before that happens? It's likely to get worse before it gets better, I assume. And quite likely that the internet hardware infrastructure can't expand bandwidth quickly enough to compensate for this sudden increased demand.

Anyway, bear this in mind if you encounter slowness either here or on other websites. There will likely be nothing the people running the sites can do about it, as it will probably be network related and not server related.

So yeah, people on mandatory lockdown in their homes, and the internet goes belly up for most of the day. Won't that just be peachy keen? There are probably quite a number of people on the net right now that were not born yet when there was NO internet. Wonder how that loss will hit them? Yes, Virginia, that means no NetFlix and Facebook too.

Anyway, as for the backup downloads, I did try again after around 3:30am, and I was back at my normal speeds. Not sure how long even that strategy will continue to work, however. I'm due to do my monthly site backups, which are much larger files, and I have no idea how that will go. I think this site is something like 150 gigabytes. Which is fine at 800 mbps, but forget about it if it drops down to 50 mbps or less.

Old 04-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #330
bcr229
Lack of bandwidth on the work VPN is why I'm still going to the office. Steps are being taken to remedy that but you don't increase capacity overnight.

Lack of bandwidth on Schoology is why my daughter is doing all of her schoolwork between midnight and 0300. At least she's in high school so she's pretty self-sufficient. The younger kids often need help either with navigating the site or with the actual work, and from what I've read the system gets very bogged down early-mid evening.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!