Chinese coronavirus - Page 35 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 04-04-2020, 01:06 AM   #341
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
I meant the general masks like surgical masks, homemade masks and scarves that are being recommended. N95 has particulate filter that I believe has been shown effective.
Heck, I actually have N95 respirators, not surgical masks. Who knew? I just bought them because they seemed real effective when I needed them.

Anyway, while researching this, I found the following article rather interesting concerning how well any type mask would likely work to block this coronavirus.

Can Masks Capture Coronavirus Particles?

I guess I need to round up all those "respirators" I have laying all over the place and blow the dust out of them. I'm thinking that we have enough of them that for the few times we may have to run out, we could just cycle through them, letting the used ones just sit in the garage for maybe even a few weeks, and any virus particles that might get picked up by them would expire in that amount of time.

According to the above article, it appear that ANYTHING covering the nose and mouth would be helpful, even a tightly knit scarf.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:09 AM   #342
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
Another bit of promising news; Ivermectin:

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...n-lab-c-955457
Well that IS interesting! Odd how now two medications typically used to treat parasitic organisms are seemingly effective against this virus.

Sounds like labs are trying virtually everything in their arsenal to combat this thing.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #343
WebSlave
Interesting video.....

https://vimeo.com/403947972?fbclid=I...SO32riC8iN_XqE

Old 04-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #344
bcr229
I got word this evening that my coworker tested positive (the test was 9 days ago) and thankfully he is recovering at home. I don't work closely with him but I have talked to him in passing and he's a very nice guy.

Another coworker was tested today and management is trying to figure out who he interacted with over the last two weeks. Fortunately not me.

Tomorrow should be... interesting.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #346
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I wonder how many false positives we are actually getting?

Old 04-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #347
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
I wonder how many false positives we are actually getting?
I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the test 2-3 times just to be sure. Also it's not like the tiger was tested at random, it was showing symptoms along with the other big cats.

If it's true that felines can carry it I expect to see a huge dent made in the feral cat population.

Old 04-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #348
WebSlave
What worries me is that if substantial numbers of animals can carry this virus in their bloodstream, then blood sucking insects can likely pick it up, at least temporarily, too.

As best I can tell from what I have read, even with people who have been listed as "recovered", that hasn't been proven to have completely removed the virus from their system or that their immune system will not keep the virus in check in their system. And while in some sort of equilibrium with the immune system that someone carrying this virus is not still infectious.

I think we are a long way from understanding all the tricks this organism has in store for us. I just hope that all of the surprises that may be in store for us are not unpleasant ones.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #349
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
What worries me is that if substantial numbers of animals can carry this virus in their bloodstream, then blood sucking insects can likely pick it up, at least temporarily, too.
I actually did some reading on that b/c we're coming into mosquito season. Unlike yellow fever COVID19 doesn't live in blood, only the respiratory tract and digestive tract which is why it's found in feces. You'll find antibodies in blood but not the actual virus.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't use every method available to eradicate mosquitoes though!

Old 04-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #350
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the test 2-3 times just to be sure....
You're probably right.
Quote:
If it's true that felines can carry it I expect to see a huge dent made in the feral cat population.
"Here, hold my beer...".

Sorta kidding, but it would be good to see the invasive/feral cat population trimmed back some.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!