Chinese coronavirus - Page 36 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 04-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #351
Lucille
I am trying to think through any plus side any group might have for a drop in the world population. I'm wondering if there is a cure for some, it is to me inexplicable otherwise that the president would not model good behavior and wear a mask. Surely he realizes that he cannot just talk his way out if he gets infected.
He generally looks out for himself, this not wearing a mask just doesn't smell right unless it means he knows if he is infected he can get a cure.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:17 PM   #352
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I am trying to think through any plus side any group might have for a drop in the world population. I'm wondering if there is a cure for some, it is to me inexplicable otherwise that the president would not model good behavior and wear a mask. Surely he realizes that he cannot just talk his way out if he gets infected.
He generally looks out for himself, this not wearing a mask just doesn't smell right unless it means he knows if he is infected he can get a cure.
Or the Secret Service is rigidly controlling who he comes into direct contact with. It's not like he's running out to WalMart for groceries after all.

IIRC the White House also has some insane filters, UVC lights, etc. in the HVAC system.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #353
bcr229
F
M
L

Found out that coworker #2 who was tested yesterday CAME TO WORK LAST FRIDAY WITH A FEVER JUST AFTER RETURNING FROM A TRIP WHERE HE SPENT SEVERAL DAYS VISITING FAMILY IN FUCKING NEW YORK.

Sorry for shouting. People here are PISSED.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:32 PM   #354
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
F
M
L

Found out that coworker #2 who was tested yesterday CAME TO WORK LAST FRIDAY WITH A FEVER JUST AFTER RETURNING FROM A TRIP WHERE HE SPENT SEVERAL DAYS VISITING FAMILY IN NEW YORK.

Oh, no! Were you in close enough proximity to get coughed/sneezed on? Why on Earth would he have come to work, not feeling well?!

Old 04-06-2020, 08:51 PM   #355
WebSlave
Quote:
I think Trump is really focused on the image he presents, and probably feels that his wearing a mask would be sending the wrong signal he wants to send. He REALLY wants to get corporate America back on track and people back to work. He likely believes that wearing the mask now would indicate that he knows there isn't a chance in hell that is going to happen by Easter as he had claimed not too long ago.

Quite frankly, I believe he is sending to many mixed signals. One one hand he said he expected the USA would be opened back up by Easter, but on the other hand he calls this a "horrible, horrible virus" and the worst will be coming in the next week or two. He is not handling this very well. I think he would rather just hand it all over to Pence and just wash his hands of this medical gobbledygook that he is completely out of his depth with, and only face what he knows and is familiar with. Which is business. He apparently just cannot swallow the idea that business the world over is going to be pretty much dead for a while. How big of a while? No one really knows.

But anyway, at least he is showing up and not secured in some fortified bunker somewhere in complete quivering in fear isolation. Unless that briefing room is actually deep inside some mountain somewhere. And I sure as heck don't think they could come up with a believable body double for Trump.

Tough time to be the man in charge, me thinks. He knows that no matter what happens, he is going to be put in the most unflattering light and blamed for everything that goes wrong. Unfortunately the "right" thing to do is to basically temporarily throw the US Constitution right out the window and lock everything down for at least a month. No exceptions. That worked in China, with them welding entire buildings shut. But in the USA? Nope, there would be blood in the streets if it were tried here. But unless you starve the virus of new victims, nothing else right now can slow it down, much less stop it.

Oh, and btw, I know this is just silly and I have absolutely no basis of fact for this feeling, but I just can't shake the smiling image of Kim Jong-un about all this.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un warns of ‘shocking’ action, new strategic weapon

IMHO, of course.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #356
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
F
M
L

Found out that coworker #2 who was tested yesterday CAME TO WORK LAST FRIDAY WITH A FEVER JUST AFTER RETURNING FROM A TRIP WHERE HE SPENT SEVERAL DAYS VISITING FAMILY IN FUCKING NEW YORK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
Oh, no! Were you in close enough proximity to get coughed/sneezed on? Why on Earth would he have come to work, not feeling well?!
Seems like there are a lot of cases where this virus destroys the brain of some folks as the first step in the infection. I mean, seriously, he didn't know about this pandemic and the symptoms of infection?

And nothing against New York or New Yorkers, but that area should have been locked down tight as a drum just as soon as it became evident that the virus was completely out of control there. Same goes for any known hotspot. QUARANTINE THE ENTIRE DAMNED AREA!! It is not rocket science needed here!!

Old 04-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #357
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
That was an interesting read and all of a sudden I'm seeing more like it.
Maybe I'm just too suspicious even though it is a reasonable and well explained theory, but I can't decide if I think it is an amazing breakthrough or something that will take the pressure off the ventilator shortage issues. Of course if true there is no shortage, but...

Old 04-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #358
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
Thankfully no but there are still common areas like the break room where everyone puts their lunch/dinner in the fridge, gets a cup of coffee, goes to the bathroom (ok we use different bathrooms but...), etc. At least there are no in-person meetings in the conference rooms.

And, everyone he worked closely with is in QT for a few weeks but that doesn't mean someone else who was unknowingly exposed won't be walking around spreading more virus for the next week or so.

At least I have a few N95 masks - we had a few for dusty yard work - and yes I'll be wearing one at work now.

Sigh. We all work in IT, theoretically are intelligent, all have college degrees, etc. but jeez there are some folks with zero common sense or consideration for everyone else.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:59 AM   #359
WebSlave
Quote:
That was an interesting read and all of a sudden I'm seeing more like it.
Maybe I'm just too suspicious even though it is a reasonable and well explained theory, but I can't decide if I think it is an amazing breakthrough or something that will take the pressure off the ventilator shortage issues. Of course if true there is no shortage, but...
Heck, if you listen long enough to people claiming that this is all related to 5G, well, even that starts to sound reasonable after a while.

Old 04-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #360
WebSlave
Well, Connie passed the 2 week marker after her dentist appointment. So that is a relief. Leon county, near Tallahassee, where her dentist is located is now showing 68 confirmed cases, many of which were likely asymptomatic when she was in her dentist's office. Our own county is holding at only showing 6 confirmed cases. But I suspect there are a LOT more asymptomatic cases lurking.

Florida is showing 14,504 confirmed cases with 283 deaths.

Except for trips to the post office, we are not planning on going out anywhere for the duration of this. Hopefully this will be mitigated sufficiently before we run out of supplies. Or at least an eye of the storm effect that would allow us to restock before PART 2 arrives.

Both Connie and I are feeling fine, but I swear that with every coughing jag, headache, or just something doesn't feel right, you can't help but think "OH NO!! DO I HAVE IT?" Yeah, I know some people are thinking that this is just another cold or flu and nothing to worry about. But I can't help but wonder how many people thought the same thing about that Spanish flu when it first hit. Personally, there are still too many unknowns about it for my peace of mind to just disregard this spider sense tingling thing I have.

We ran to the post office this past Sunday, and there were quite a few people out and about in Crawfordville. We sat on the parking lots of the Winn Dixie grocery store and Walmart to just observe traffic in and out of those stores. Quite a few people going about their business like normal. We did notice a few employees at Winn Dixie rubbing their faces with their hands, and not wearing gloves nor masks, so I don't think we will be going there any time soon. A few people did have masks on, but they were few and far between. Actually saw one woman wearing both a mask and gloves, but only one.

As for the social distancing thing, nah, I don't see anyone actually practicing that. Cars would pull up with 4 to 6 people piled into them and they would all walk tightly together into the stores. And a fair number of people are still hauling all their children into the stores with them. I dunno, but I felt like I was watching a ticking time bomb.

YMMV, of course.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!