Reptster.com experience with show sponsorship not good - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #21
Dixie Reptiles
I would like to know how long you have owned a show as $750 sound a little high to me.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #22
GottaLuvHerps
Terry,

To answer your question, part of the reason the sponsorship fee was so high was because since Mr. Young would not be able to attend the show himself, we would be doing all of the setup of his banners, tables displays, etc, as well as running the table, passing out fliers and any other marketing material that was sent to us. The other part of the reason was because Mr. Young thought it fair to give us a little extra to help out the show since it is brand new, and he said "I want to do whatever I can do to help you do this show."

The fee was AGREED to by Mr. Young, that is the important thing, not the time span I have owned a show. But this will be our first show ever, so that you know. I am still not sure what the relevance is to the issue, but I hope it answers your question.

At this time, I am in the process of taking down all advertisement of the Reptster sponsorship, as well as posting a link back to this thread for information on why the sponsorship was canceled. Screenshots will be provided.

I have yet to hear anything from Mr. Young, and apparently he is not planning on responding to this post from what it seems.

Kelly Kordek

Old 09-17-2008, 05:32 PM   #23
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Reptiles
I would like to know how long you have owned a show as $750 sound a little high to me.
I thought the "fee" was agreed upon by both parties?

I mean if I wanted to be a sponsor to the show and pay for advertising the amounts would be variable depending on what I wanted to donate to the show's cause versus what I wanted them to accomplish by advertising for me.

The amount theoretically could be much higher depending on the type and amount of advertising I choose, I would think.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #24
GottaLuvHerps
All advertisement of Reptster.com has been pulled from our website, and a link to this thread has been provided on the front page as well as the sponsor page of the website. I really hate to do all of this, but I will live up to my promises of the time limits I have set for Mr. Young to contact me.

At this point, it all seems to be a waiting game for his response, if we ever get one. I certainly hope this can be settled in an adult manner.

Lakeside Boas - that was my point exactly in my answer to Terry. The fee was agreed upon by both of us, and for the reasons stated. The amount of time we have been doing shows is not relevant to the amount of the fee. Thanks for seeing that.

Kelly Kordek

Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #25
critical bill
Not just one person, but now two people he's screwed over? That's a pattern, a pattern of deception. He has tricked two people into advertising his business without paying them.

And he was here reading this thread? He didn't have a moment to respond? Time to read but not respond?

Bottom line, he didn't have the money. If you have it you pay it, if you don't have it you can't pay it. The word is BROKE. Hi, I am broke, I don't have the money to pay you right now. Gosh, so simple a thing, but yet so many make it so difficult and think ignoring a person will make it all go away.

The guy is a deadbeat. I'd take what he owes me and still place a note on my website that I had to badger his ass for months to pay me what was owed me.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #26
Dixie Reptiles
I am not defending David he should have responded with something.I will say this,$750 is too much for a non established show and my guess is that David probably had second thoughts.I do hope this gets resolved and I wish you luck with your first show.Terry

Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #27
LakesideBoas
Thanks, Kelly. I cross posted with you!

It's a shame too, Chuck, as advertising in other venues (television, radio, magazines) can be much more expensive than what he would have paid Kelly had he chosen to honor his agreement.

Heck, for that amount I'm seriously thinking about doing that myself when the time is right!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #28
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Reptiles
I am not defending David he should have responded with something.I will say this,$750 is too much for a non established show and my guess is that David probably had second thoughts.I do hope this gets resolved and I wish you luck with your first show.Terry
Sorry Terry, but he did agree to the amount. If you had been the one approached I am sure you would have made a different agreement. I have no idea what the average rates are to sponsor a show, so in that respect you can color me ignorant, but in your case, with your experience your sponsorship amount would surly be different. He must have felt the amount was fair as he did agree to it, regardless of what ever the "usual" rate might be considered.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #29
GottaLuvHerps
Chuck - My thoughts on the "2 people he has screwed over" will remain silent, as I just found out this afternoon about the other situation, and will not pass on 3rd party information, but I do agree, such a pattern...He has time for people that spend their money on his site, but apparently that priority is not given to the people he says he will support financially. All I know is what comes around usually comes back to bite you in the rear, and it HURTS in the end (no pun intended).
As far as getting what he owes me, I think that even if the sponsorship is canceled, he STILL owes the money, as I held up to everything we agreed to and he did nothing. He got TONS of free advertising from us, which only helped his site. I know of 2 people personally who signed up as smaller breeders for his shipping deal, and know of several other "bigger" breeders/suppliers that have been talking to him about signing up because of the discounts that had never heard of him until I spoke with them directly. I can only imagine the other signups and inquiries he has gotten since my advertising. I guess my big thing is making sure people understand where his priorities really lie if anything. He has a great idea, but if he continues in these patterns, it is an idea that just might fall to the wayside without the support of the people he is targeting.

Terry - As I said, the fee involved more than just the sponsorship, I guess you can say it involved some "time and effort" costs in there for us since Mr. Young would not be able to attend the show himself. He will be in Chicago for the NARBC show that weekend. The agreement with my other sponsor is completely different, as they will be there to run their own thing.
Thank you for the good wishes towards the show, it is greatly appreciated! One day we might get out to your show, I would love to get out to where my grandparents grew up AND see some cool animals at the same time!

Maggie - Get in while you can LOL. We have planned some different things for sponsorship with future shows, so I can't promise that good of a deal later. But, if you are seriously interested, let me know :-) Thanks for all the support in this too.

Kelly Kordek

Old 09-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #30
Kingetula
To be honest I think we have all made a financial mistake a time or two in or lives or more. I'm sure we all have told someone yes only to think on it over night and change our mind. I guess we have to weigh out if doing the right thing by standing by our word is less important than our reputation.

When I have made mistakes financially (second thoughts or whatever) it was always nice to have the other party understand and either help me out by saying don't worry about it or paying what I owed with a little break. On that note however I was a man and spoke to the person about the situation. It sucked and was kind of embarrassing for me but I believe in doing the right thing.

We all are human and thankfully the world isn't full of bad people as I once believed. Mistakes happen but its how you handle those mistakes that show how you really are as a person. David if you don't drag laundry out to the forums at least work some thing out with here behind closed doors.

My view of Reptster is falling fast. I'm glad I have been working with Fed Ex today to get certified. It wasn't hard and the only reason why some one can't ship snakes by Fed Ex is because they don't like jumping through a few easy hoops. It's really, really easy but take a little effort on ones part. The only advantage I can see using Reptster is if his account does enough business that the rates are cheaper than for some one who ships a few times. I will compare rates soon and see...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
david young, repster, reptster