Male won't breed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
KKtheRipper
Male won't breed

I have an adult male Albino ball python that has been producing sperm plugs for the past two years and still does not breed! I am getting frustrated because I tried everything and I keep trying and trying and nothing. I have two females waiting for him and I don't want to lose clutches this year. Any suggestions on how to get him going? Much appreciated.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
hhmoore
How old, and how big, is he? All the tricks in the world won't help if he's just not ready. A lot of people have success with young/small males; but sometimes there's just no substitute for age + size. I had one male that didn't breed until he was 4 yrs old, and around 1500g (needless to say, I replaced him after his second season of disinterest).

Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
hhmoore
First thing to do is verify that your male is a male, and that your females are females...
(basic, but that simple thing has spoiled many planned breedings)

Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
KKtheRipper
Well, he's about 2 years old and weighs 750 grams. He is a male because I popped and probed him. He is currently producing sperm plugs and the females are definitely females because they laid eggs for me last season. And that's crazy that your male didn't breed for that long. I hope mine breeds soon because I don't want to get rid of him.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
RobNJ
My yellow belly male also took 4 years to breed...seemed ready when he was younger, but obviously was not.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
gsrept
ya i have a male that is just reaching 4 and has not bred if he does not do the job this season he is going bye bye.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
snakesRkewl
I must be lucky with my males after reading these responses, I've never had a male not breed before 1 year old

Old 10-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
KKtheRipper
This seems to be the only male that won't breed for me and he is one of my main males which makes me sad I guess I'm going to have to find another morph male that is 100% het albino :-/

Old 10-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
Kingofspades
With the storm coming, he might change his mind. Apparently storms spark ball breeding.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
KKtheRipper
That's funny because I heard that from somewhere before. Let's see what happens, haha.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!