why isnt my western hognose eating???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-22-2005, 03:25 AM   #1
ladyserpent7
Unhappy why isnt my western hognose eating????

she hasnt eaten for two months and its freaking me out i think its the weather but im not sure im afraid it might be an infection or something serious like that

Old 01-22-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Can you provide some specifics?

How old is she?
What was she eating before she went off feed?
How is she being kept? - Temps, etc..

Old 01-23-2005, 02:41 AM   #3
ladyserpent7
yeah i got her on sep. 11 and i feed her every monday once a week...a fuzzy. she was doing fine; the only week she didnt eat was when she shed which i know is normal, but A few weeks after that when the weather started changing she got a cold, at least I think she did cuz she used to sneeze, but then she got over that, and still after a month after her cold she wouldnt eat. i know its not the temp in her tank cuz its exactly the way it should be 80-85 or just a couple deg. more in the afternoon and below 80 at night, so she shouldnt be going into hibernation. i dont know whats up with her.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:04 AM   #4
Wilomn
How far below 80 is it getting at night?

If she was fat to start with she should be fine for a few weeks. Some of the babies hardly eat at all until the spring after they hatch. At least some of mine have been that way.

If it's cold where she is that will put her off feeding too. You need to get a temp gun or place a thermometer so that you can monitor both the high and low in your tank.

Can you post pics of your set up and snake?

Old 01-23-2005, 04:36 AM   #5
ladyserpent7
not to try to sound dumb, but this is actually the first time i have internet... yes i know im living in the 21st century, so i dont know how to post pics. and as for my snake, shes pretty thick, probably since i feed her fuzzys and not pinkies and its been two months she hasnt eaten and she doesnt look anywhere close to emaciated. She has an undertank heater on one side and when its colder it the afternoon i turn on her heat lamp (that is, when i dont have the heater on in the house) on the other so she could bask. At night it gets about 75 deg., maybe 70 if the day is really cold, but definitely never lower than that. Believe me, I check freq.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:39 AM   #6
ladyserpent7
also the store that i got her told me that shes more than a year old so shes still a baby, but not just hatched

Old 01-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
Wilomn
What size tank is she in? What wattage bulb are you using? What store did you get her from? I live in So. Cal. so I may know something of where she came and that can tell a lot about whether she's healthy or not.

Don't worry about being new to the net, you're hardly alone.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
ladyserpent7
Shes in a 20gal long. I use a 40w, a red light. The store is called tropical Imports, or tropical fish... they changed it. I live in LA too, and ive seen that store in more than one places, so you might know what im talking about, and thanks

Old 01-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
ladyserpent7
By the way, Im going to try to feed her tomorrow, a monday, and hopefully shes back to normal. I was reading some of the other threads and it seems that all hognose owners are having this problem, so it might just be this species... i hope. Wish me luck!

Old 01-23-2005, 10:52 PM   #10
Wilomn
What part of L A are you in? If you're close enough I'd be happy to take a look at it and see if I can help out. I've been keeping and breeing these little buggers for quite a while.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!