WHAT is going on!!?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
Leighanne
WHAT is going on!!??

This is ticking me OFF! I have no camera, no local Herpers and no experience behind me on this one. Checked Lickity again and found a few more bugs. Her log is a green blue color on one side like its molding?

I ALSO checked my other logs today just to be safe and everybody else's looked good except for my Chilean Rose Hair's Ermac. Hers looks moldy to. Ermac is two shelves down from Lickity. Gex my Gecko is in between them and has a log and NO bugs. I don't feel so bad about Lickity's pooh anymore knowing this came from the logs. But only two. I don't get it? Ermac had a tank change about a month ago. I put in a whole bag of organic potting soil and quit a few cups of Peat Moss, all bought from Wal Mart.

The bugs are VERY small and Lickity has nothing on her like you would see with Mites. I'm about to as soon as I can get rid of ALL freaking logs or just about. Give Lickity and Ermac pot plant hides or something. This is EXTREMELY frustrating because this is the first time to have to go through this for me and if I don't even know what the bugs are then how the heck should I treat it??? We are baking the logs now at 250 for 30 minutes and then we will rinse them all out. EVERYBODY's logs are getting done just to be safe. So as said...Whats going on guys?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
Pink Lady Exotics
Your humidity is too high. Whatever you're using to measure it is wrong, because mold won't grow except in high humidity areas. The enclosures are too wet. That's attracting bugs (one single gnat in your entire house can reproduce and create more).

Old 03-21-2007, 12:34 AM   #3
Leighanne
I NEVER mist unless shes about to shed. I don't get it? She has a big green water dish and I keep a dry towel in her tank to keep humidity down. The only thing thats wet in her tank is her water dish.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
Pink Lady Exotics
It doesn't have to be wet, just too high of humidity. It also means things are not as sanitary as they should be (it's tough to sanitize logs). That's why I stopped using those logs, they grow mold too easily if you use an earth-like substrate (coconut bark, potting soil, cypress, etc).

Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
Leighanne
Lickitys on newspaper. Maybe just switching and not using logs will get rid of this annoying problem.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 AM   #6
Leighanne
HHmmmm, what would be a big enough hide?? What about an ice cream bucket with a door? No thats clear. Uhm, I don't know what I could find around town. Anything at the grocery store useable?

Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 AM   #7
SPJ
Where did you get the log?
I use corkbark with cypress mulch and have never had a problem and I keep the humidity up all thru a shed cycle.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:55 AM   #8
Leighanne
All of the logs acquired came from Pet Co and Pet Supplies Plus.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Pink Lady Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
HHmmmm, what would be a big enough hide?? What about an ice cream bucket with a door? No thats clear. Uhm, I don't know what I could find around town. Anything at the grocery store useable?
Plastic kitty litter pans from WalMart. They have small and large ones.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHarrison
Plastic kitty litter pans from WalMart. They have small and large ones.
Yup, those are great..or any opaque rubbermaid type tub in an appropriate size.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!