IBD disease / My ball and my boas - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Miss Tuniwha
I am very sorry to hear this happen to you though. I didn't mean to yell for you contracting it. That is a terrible pain for anyone to have to deal with.

my last post was merely in regards to you wanting to keep them alive and go to shows, etc.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
mjcnj
One more thing.

IF I decide to euthenize sooner than later. What do I have to do to ensure that the next snakes I start off with again are OK. Blood tests? What do you do other than quarantine a snake when you get. Because if you just quarantine, do you not pick them up. AND just on the outside chance that they do have it, why can any one go to shows while they have a snake in quarentine. If someone has a snake, with no symptoms, that does not mean that the snake is clean.

I am not trying to cause chaos amongst the boid owners, but I am looking for input on what to do and what not to do as my next step!

Thanks for your time,

Mike

Old 10-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Dennis Hultman
The first thing I would suggest is closing down your ads for boas and caging on Fauna. If you have sold any caging or snakes listed in your ads, notify the buyers at once.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman
The first thing I would suggest is closing down your ads for boas and caging on Fauna. If you have sold any caging or snakes listed in your ads, notify the buyers at once.

Guess he decided to ignore your advice Dennis so to avoid him spreading IBD, I replied to his ads.
He will now either have to delete them or forget about anyone wanting to purchase from him.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Guess he decided to ignore your advice Dennis so to avoid him spreading IBD, I replied to his ads.
He will now either have to delete them or forget about anyone wanting to purchase from him.

wait.. WAIT .. are you telling me that this pompous is SELLING SNAKES??

You ignorant, SELFISH piece of ..

IF it is verified positive.. put them all down.. and maybe yourself.. for the greater good..

dip

I felt bad at first, since this is a terrible thing to have happen.. now I just hope it kicks you in the

Old 10-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcnj
One more thing.

IF I decide to euthenize sooner than later. What do I have to do to ensure that the next snakes I start off with again are OK. Blood tests? What do you do other than quarantine a snake when you get. Because if you just quarantine, do you not pick them up. AND just on the outside chance that they do have it, why can any one go to shows while they have a snake in quarentine. If someone has a snake, with no symptoms, that does not mean that the snake is clean.

I am not trying to cause chaos amongst the boid owners, but I am looking for input on what to do and what not to do as my next step!

Thanks for your time,

Mike
No, you are asking legitimate questions. no worries on chaos, not a lot of people know about this disease in its entirety in the first place, and, as sad as it is to see you have animals infected and will more than likely be putting them down, its a good tool/thread to learn from.

Get rid of the enclosures. Plastic or not, destroy them. I just honestly do not think its worth the risk of transmitting the disease to new animals in the future. if someone can prove that plastic can be used again after a very thorough cleaning, then by all means

Id say, when you finally do get more animals in the future, get a Ball Python first, they seem to be good detectors, and research the breeders you get any future animals from!!!

im going to say though, and truly truly do not mean this as heartless, but. Put those animals down. every single infected animal. Dragging it out will do you no good, nor the animals. People might say "they can live a healthy life with it" but... i think its crock. Just like any other disease where people say its alright, they can live with it.... while passing it on to more animals in the process.... its just not right, or fair to the animals.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 AM   #7
Cat_72
Quote:
IF I decide to euthenize sooner than later. What do I have to do to ensure that the next snakes I start off with again are OK. Blood tests? What do you do other than quarantine a snake when you get. Because if you just quarantine, do you not pick them up.
The most important thing is to buy from a reputable breeder. Research them on the BOI, ask around elsewhere, and ask the breeder any and all questions you feel the need to. Don't buy anything just because "it's a good deal". And again, blood tests can confirm that an animal has inclusion bodies present, but it CANNOT prove that an animal is negative for IBD. This is why quarantine is absolutely essential.

Quote:
AND just on the outside chance that they do have it, why can any one go to shows while they have a snake in quarentine. If someone has a snake, with no symptoms, that does not mean that the snake is clean.
Think of it this way.....if there is ANY chance, be it ever so small, that by YOU going to a show, that you could spread this disease and cause other people to go through the same thing that you are going through now....do you really want to take that chance? Do you want to be responsible for someone else having to put down their entire collection, their pet, and feeling the same despair you do?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
SPJ
Even buying from a large breeder may not insulate you from this.

A VERY well known large breeder had a severe IBD problem a few years back and lost lots of animals to it.

You just never know nowadays.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Seamus Haley
'ey Mike...

Any chance you can post your vet reports that identify IBD?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
mjcnj
When I get all the results back I will post them, no doubt!

Mike